PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with unarmored build

riverothethief
2017-12-22, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone!

I am going to be playing an Eladrin as my next character but still am pretty new to D&D rules. I'd like to be a dex based melee class. Would like to go without armor. I'm thinking of dipping into barbarian or monk for the unarmored defense but then unsure of where to go from there. The barbarian class has some great stuff for dex based builds but since rage is essentially useless I'm thinking I shouldn't pick up too many barbarian builds. Any advice? When would be a good point to leave barbarian and pick up levels in either a fighter class or rogue class? Or have any other ideas? I also thought of dipping barbarian then going with a melee ranger build.

Here is a little background on the roleplay.

Planning on being one of the huntsman that traveled with Oberon on his hunts and has crossed over onto the material plane to search for an item to gain additional favor. Going to be quite arrogant mainly due to being born and living in the Fey Wild. He sees himself as superior to other elves and other races of the Material Plane. Planning on adjusting that as he sees other members of our party showing strength etc.

Specter
2017-12-22, 08:12 AM
Monk/Fighter or Monk/Ranger with the Outlander background suits your needs. You can either take one level of Monk for Unarmored Defense and the rest in the other, or focus on Monk and take 2/3 levels in the other.

nickl_2000
2017-12-22, 08:19 AM
You could also consider dipping Wizard or Sorcerer for Mage armor for 13+dex, or Draconic Sorcerer 1 for 13+dex due to scales. This would also give you shield and some cantrips for distance attacks. Just a few other options that may fit your needs

boristheboar
2017-12-22, 08:23 AM
what level are you starting at? If 3 or above and if your dm allows unearthed arcana use this article from the wizards of the coast site http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf and play as a dex based oath of redemption paladin.

armor of peace is a 16+dex (no shields)

question: Are you going to be the tank?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-22, 08:29 AM
what level are you starting at? If 3 or above and if your dm allows unearthed arcana use this article from the wizards of the coast site http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAThreeSubclasses.pdf and play as a dex based oath of redemption paladin.

armor of peace is a 16+dex (no shields)

question: Are you going to be the tank?

I highly doubt that most DMs would allow that particular version of the subclass now that there is an official one out (and one that specifically removes that particular OP feature).

boristheboar
2017-12-22, 08:31 AM
I highly doubt that most DMs would allow that particular version of the subclass now that there is an official one out (and one that specifically removes that particular OP feature).

hmm... could you possibly link that article for me, I can't seem to find it.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-22, 08:33 AM
hmm... could you possibly link that article for me, I can't seem to find it.

Redemption Paladin is in Xanathar's Guide.

boristheboar
2017-12-22, 08:34 AM
Redemption Paladin is in Xanathar's Guide.

ah, haven't had the time nor money to get it yet, so I thank you kindly for this.

boristheboar
2017-12-22, 08:38 AM
well, the new version will have ruined my level 4 paladin I had made some time ago
oath of redemption varient human
tunnel fighter
sentinel blade master
16 dex
19 ac
lock down tank

riverothethief
2017-12-22, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I won't be the tank. We have a Circle of the Moon druid for that. I'd be starting at a minimum of level 6. For right now this is a character I am designing to replace my current character should he die.

I hadn't thought of dipping wizard or sorcerer to solve my AC issue. That opens up a lot of ideas. I did think of going a bladelock with pact of the fey. Is a that advisable? Could go sorceror for the scales and then focus on bladelock?

If I wanted to dip monk for the unarmored AC would I just take 1 level and then go elsewhere?

Lombra
2017-12-22, 08:45 AM
Definately monk-ranger, you can do the split as you please, but that's the most synergistic unarmored hunter you're going to get.

If you only want the unarmored thing and leave monk it's fine, you anyways should want to get to extra attack within level 6, starting ranger is probably better.

Ranger 1 - monk 1 - ranger 5 is how I'd start.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-22, 08:56 AM
So another option if you'd be okay with just light armor, a Bladesinger Wizard might work for this as well (even with no armor, they're not horrible while in Bladesong). You get extra attack, a full compliment of spells, and good ole Elven arrogance!

Throne12
2017-12-22, 09:42 AM
So another option if you'd be okay with just light armor, a Bladesinger Wizard might work for this as well (even with no armor, they're not horrible while in Bladesong). You get extra attack, a full compliment of spells, and good ole Elven arrogance!

Or cast mage armor then bladesong.

nickl_2000
2017-12-22, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I won't be the tank. We have a Circle of the Moon druid for that. I'd be starting at a minimum of level 6. For right now this is a character I am designing to replace my current character should he die.

I hadn't thought of dipping wizard or sorcerer to solve my AC issue. That opens up a lot of ideas. I did think of going a bladelock with pact of the fey. Is a that advisable? Could go sorceror for the scales and then focus on bladelock?

If I wanted to dip monk for the unarmored AC would I just take 1 level and then go elsewhere?

Monk 1 gives you 1d4 unarmed strikes, Wis+Dex AC, and Bonus action unarmed Strike when attacking with a Monk weapon
Level 2 Gives Ki disengage, Ki Flurry, or Ki Dash (2 per rest) and more movement
Level 3 Gives you the Monastic Tradition abilities.

I guess the key here is what you want your character to be. Do you want him to be focusing on weapon damage or magic? Draconic Sorc + Bladelock Fey isn't the "best" build, but it will certainly work well enough with the right spells choices if it fits the build you want in your mind.

Quoz
2017-12-22, 11:18 AM
I kind of like the barbarian from a classical story sense. You're 'rage' is what happens when your fey glamour slips, revealing your base feral state. You only use it in dire circumstance because it feels so uncivilized.

A dex/con rapier and shield barbarian/rouge can be a consummate refined court duelist, then switch on the rage for unbelievable durability.

Blackbando
2017-12-22, 12:30 PM
In my opinion, if you go the Bladelock route, you don't even need the 1 level of draconic sorc; the Armor of Shadows invocation enables you to have at-will mage armor, which is exactly the same AC (13+dex) and doesn't appear to be armored (although that may just be how I do mage armor, so, YMMV).

Of course, if you're not fine with sacrificing an invocation for the armor, 1 level of draconic sorc isn't bad, but since your guy was from the Fey Wild for (most likely) all his life, I don't really know how he'd get draconic blood in him.