PDA

View Full Version : Picking a system

Drache64
2017-12-22, 10:58 AM
Hello everyone,

My group started a serious campaign where they wanted to keep long term characters and slow progression. Yes, they are fans of critical role and want to mimic that.

I love Pathfinder and own all the books and love how much of it is open source so players can self manage without needing to borrow my books or my attention to help with their characters.

After a few years of being a GM a new player said he would like to DM and that's when we are starting this new campaign. The new DM liked 5e so we all switched to 5e, I do not like it as much because I prefer the character options presented in Pathfinder more. (Gunslinger, alchemist, etc).

My group loves 5e but everyone wants more power, more money, etc. Which Pathfinder hands power over to the players much easier than 5e in my opinion.

Our poor DM only lasted 2-3 sessions with us Players, he was a brand new DM and my group was very unforgiving to his mistakes. Unfortunately he's decided not to DM anymore and I'm back to being the man in the big chair. But I don't want to run 5e any longer as I don't own as many books, what I do have is a shared PDF.

I am turning the mission into a multiverse and plan on dropping the players back into Pathfinder universe through a gate after finishing up the current series of quests.

What are your opinions? Should I suck it up and stick with 5e? Or do I have every right to transfer to the system I am used to and prefer?

exelsisxax
2017-12-22, 12:15 PM
You're the DM, if you want to use pathfinder that's what you should use.

However, you seem to be under a strange assumption that you have the change the setting to play PF. You don't need some portal, just ask everybody to remake characters and continue on with the adventure because nothing happened. Unless the world was very specifically low and rare magic and you don't want dissonance when they start getting actual magic items, this is not a problem.

The more likely problem is using the same characters at all. Hopefully you're retiring your own PC, because that's a big can of worms on its own. Since your last DM didn't hold up, it seems prudent to simply get a fresh start anyway. No weird "and now something totally different" IC shenanigans, no need to explain why your PC is gone and won't be coming back, the party won't have to rebuild itself around a possible lack of a critical capability your PC provided. I think a clean slate will make a better transition.