PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Are Skinwalkers immune to Baleful Polymorph?

Trauma Advocate
2017-12-22, 12:36 PM
So I'm running pathfinder for the first time and I have a Skinwalker in the party, something I'm not so used to. Is he immune to Baleful Polymorph? RAW seems to say so, but I'm not sure.

From the entry on Baleful Polymorph, "...and a creature with the shapechanger subtype can revert to its natural form as a standard action." seems to state in no unclear terms, that polymorph is no obstacle to a Skinwalker. On the other hand, that seems like a lot of power for a guy who can really just grow fangs and claws and hair, and doesn't possess the ability to assume many different forms like most shapechangers would. Add to that the optional racial trait "Mastery of Form" for a Skinwalker that gives them a +2 bonus against polymorph effects, which seems redundant if they can't really be affected by polymorph anyway (I know, I know, they still CAN be, but a standard action to undo it isn't much of a problem).

I guess, bottom line, I would sort of like to rule this character still can be affected by a Baleful Polymorph, but I'd like some backup before I settle on that call. I wouldn't want to be unfair to the player.

noob
2017-12-22, 12:47 PM
At the level where you can fling baleful polymorph there is already another save or die just in core(and if you get extra manuals it becomes worse).
(the other save or die of level 5 is magic jar)
Also a resistance that will help you only two levels(and only against one specific save or die) is not an op thing and you still need to spend a standard action to take back your original shape.
when wizards gets level 6 spells they can use instead flesh to stone.

Psyren
2017-12-22, 01:32 PM
He's not truly "immune" - it still affects him, it's just very easy for him to shake off (burning an action to do so.) This is the advantage of being a shapechanger race, the same as e.g. Kitsunes have. You shouldn't capriciously invalidate that strength of his character; there are tons of magical attacks besides Baleful Polymorph you can use against your players instead. This is like being angry that elves are immune to sleep effects, or androids are immune to disease - you have an entire toolbox of attacks at your fingertips, be creative and use something else when you want to challenge those races. And frankly, you should also make their strengths matter sometimes too - e.g. have an enemy try to baleful polymorph him anyway and be surprised when it fails to stick. It makes the player feel powerful and connect with the game more strongly / have more fun.

KillianHawkeye
2017-12-22, 11:04 PM
And frankly, you should also make their strengths matter sometimes too - e.g. have an enemy try to baleful polymorph him anyway and be surprised when it fails to stick. It makes the player feel powerful and connect with the game more strongly / have more fun.

Listen to Psyren. He gives good advice.

Remember that a DM's job isn't to defeat the characters (unless you're into that sort of thing, but still...), your job is to challenge them. Also remember that not every challenge needs to be difficult to overcome. Variety in challenge level is important, both to keep the pace changing and to keep players on their toes, and it can be nice to have some threats challenge different characters in different ways.

At the end of the day, a DM should want his players to succeed. But you have to make them work for it, so they can feel like they earned it. In my experience, it's that satisfaction (on both sides of the screen) that tickles the "fun" centers of the brain.