PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC Design

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-22, 03:13 PM
So I will soon be running a game for a few friends and have come up with a Satyr npc to travel with the group. Now, after finding a picture of a Satyr in full plate, the class has been locked to something more Martial like a Fighter or a Paladin with the Oath of Ancients.

Now my question for the forums here. Would it be to broken to swap the Eldritch Knight or Paladins spell list with the Druid one? I know Eldritch Knights only get up to 4th level spells, and Paladins only get 5th so they would not be getting overly powerful spells, but would it ruin the balance to much?

PhoenixPhyre
2017-12-22, 03:31 PM
So I will soon be running a game for a few friends and have come up with a Satyr npc to travel with the group. Now, after finding a picture of a Satyr in full plate, the class has been locked to something more Martial like a Fighter or a Paladin with the Oath of Ancients.

Now my question for the forums here. Would it be to broken to swap the Eldritch Knight or Paladins spell list with the Druid one? I know Eldritch Knights only get up to 4th level spells, and Paladins only get 5th so they would not be getting overly powerful spells, but would it ruin the balance to much?

Short answer--no.

Long answer--It depends on how you use them. I'd recommend focusing on support-type spells--buffs, cures, and control (unless that overlaps with a party member).

Remember NPCs don't (by default) have player classes at all. You're free to mix and match features, including spell-casting. You don't have to stat them up with full PC class levels--just start with the Satyr NPC stat block and add heavier armor and appropriate spell-casting.

MagneticKitty
2017-12-22, 03:34 PM
Maybe switch with ranger spells. Or use refluffed dwarf as a base (heavy armor proficiency) and just make him a ranger. They can be close combat too. That's what I'd do.

ArrixGrimm
2017-12-22, 04:10 PM
Sadly, Ranger spells aren't....Nature-y enough for me to get them to fit the character well enough.

As for the monster with certain stats, while that would work for a small time NPC, this NPC is more long term and will pretty important to the party (till they either die or the party does something he does no agree with) So I am trying to flesh him out PC wise.

From what I have seen, A paladin with Oath of the Ancients with access to the druid spell list might be the best choice.

Unoriginal
2017-12-22, 05:14 PM
Sadly, Ranger spells aren't....Nature-y enough for me to get them to fit the character well enough.

As for the monster with certain stats, while that would work for a small time NPC, this NPC is more long term and will pretty important to the party (till they either die or the party does something he does no agree with) So I am trying to flesh him out PC wise.

From what I have seen, A paladin with Oath of the Ancients with access to the druid spell list might be the best choice.

I'd seriously advise you to *not* to a DMPC. Especially with the goal to makes them "pretty important to the party". It's hardly well-received by players.

Honestly you're better off taking the Satyr stats from the MM, give him Plate Armor, give him Spellcasting (Druid) to the desired level, and give him the aprorpriate weapon proficiency.