PDA

View Full Version : Samurai archtype question

Weirdyfish
2017-12-22, 05:11 PM
So I'm making a Dragonborn Samurai and i'm wondering how Rapid strike works exactly? It says I can forgo the advantage on one attack to gain an extra attack. Does that extra attack still have advantage or not?

E’Tallitnics
2017-12-22, 05:24 PM
No. "Forgo" literally means to do without. In this case you're trading Advantage on 1 attack to make 2 regular attacks.

Zanthy1
2017-12-22, 05:37 PM
No. "Forgo" literally means to do without. In this case you're trading Advantage on 1 attack to make 2 regular attacks.

I am seconding this, just so OP is aware that E'Tallinics didn't just make this up, he is correct.

E’Tallitnics
2017-12-22, 05:44 PM
To be clear: It only affects the 1 attack with Advantage, making it 2 regular attacks.

As a 15th level Fighter you normally have 3 attacks per turn. With this class feature, and Advantage on 1 of those 3 attacks, you'll now have 4 attacks that turn.

Weirdyfish
2017-12-22, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I didn't understand the wording.

polymphus
2017-12-22, 06:37 PM
It's a fun mechanic -- you're trading accurate strikes for more damage, like a version of Sharpshooter/Great Weapon Master. Like both of those, it's a calculation game: low AC, high health? Double-tap. High AC? Keep advantage.

Eunostus
2017-12-22, 06:45 PM
It's a fun mechanic -- you're trading accurate strikes for more damage, like a version of Sharpshooter/Great Weapon Master. Like both of those, it's a calculation game: low AC, high health? Double-tap. High AC? Keep advantage.
But... If you trade your advantage for an additional attack... Don't you still roll two d20? Except you can now hit twice. So it's even worth it against a high AC opponent, since there's still a chance of hitting twice, albeit a lower chance.

nickl_2000
2017-12-22, 07:42 PM
But... If you trade your advantage for an additional attack... Don't you still roll two d20? Except you can now hit twice. So it's even worth it against a high AC opponent, since there's still a chance of hitting twice, albeit a lower chance.

Ya, I don't see why you would ever not make the trade unless you were a multiclass character with rogue in there for sneak attack.

Lombra
2017-12-22, 08:14 PM

Never thought about it this way, and it makes sense an awful lot.

To OP: the attack that you gain CAN still have advantage, you trade the advantage of one attack only. So yeah, you always want to do it, because you roll 3 dice instead of 2.

E’Tallitnics
2017-12-22, 08:56 PM
Never thought about it this way, and it makes sense an awful lot.

To OP: the attack that you gain CAN still have advantage, you trade the advantage of one attack only. So yeah, you always want to do it, because you roll 3 dice instead of 2.

How can the Attack you traded Advantage for still have it? Advantage doesn’t stack so once you’ve traded it for another attack...

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-23, 01:01 AM
How can the Attack you traded Advantage for still have it? Advantage doesn’t stack so once you’ve traded it for another attack...

Against a Prone enemy within 5 feet, for instance.
You're trading Advantage on the first attack for another attack.. but ALL attacks vs a Prone enemy within 5 feet are made at Advantage.
So, the first attack is now made without Advantage, but the rest of the attacks still jas Advantage because the source of the Advantage is not gone suddenly.

Another case would be vs a Paralyzed target. Which would also make each succesful hit deal Critical damage, as well.

E’Tallitnics
2017-12-23, 01:16 AM
Against a Prone enemy within 5 feet, for instance.
You're trading Advantage on the first attack for another attack.. but ALL attacks vs a Prone enemy within 5 feet are made at Advantage.
So, the first attack is now made without Advantage, but the rest of the attacks still jas Advantage because the source of the Advantage is not gone suddenly.

Another case would be vs a Paralyzed target. Which would also make each succesful hit deal Critical damage, as well.

Oh. Duh… Thanks for the 412!