PDA

View Full Version : Gypsy Fortune teller - Npc Help

Laereth
2017-12-22, 09:34 PM
Hey there people !
The players in my campaign have managed to get the help of a gypsy witch as a guide. I am struggling with finding the right abilities for her.
My problem is two fold:
- I want the right flavor that will yield the more mystique to her.
- As such I don't know if Warlock or Bard or Rogue fits more and if some sort of Card Caster would be cool ? If so what abilities should a fortune telling card caster have ?

Thanks for your help !

Naanomi
2017-12-22, 09:37 PM
The Gypsy-type people in my campaign world (and their home nation they originally come from) have a Psionics theme... maybe look at Mystic?

Laserlight
2017-12-22, 09:41 PM
Why are you statting her out as if she were a PC? If you think she's going to get into a fight, figure out her AC and saves; otherwise just have her do what you want, without bothering too much about whether the spells available to the PCs can do the same.

Laereth
2017-12-22, 09:46 PM
Why are you statting her out as if she were a PC? If you think she's going to get into a fight, figure out her AC and saves; otherwise just have her do what you want, without bothering too much about whether the spells available to the PCs can do the same.

For one my players have a very 3.X way of mind and expect humanoid Npcs to have classes as in 3.X. i was looking more in like what class abilities should I pilfer so that she doesn't break verisimilitude for them by having abilities/spells from 5 classes.

No brains
2017-12-22, 09:59 PM
What will the fortune teller do? That should inform their abilities for you. If she just tells fortunes, then the skills Insight and Bluff could probably work to make her a cold reader. If she actually tells the future, maybe she could be a Diviner wizard who gives portent dice to your characters*. You could then give her more levels so she could cast real divination spells. If she does anything other than reading fortunes, then you might need other tools.

If you want to go off of RAW, maybe you could design a feat that she took that gives her better** divination. Maybe her Augury can see further into the future and it recharges on a short rest for her. If you don't make it that powerful, you can even have her offer to train one of the characters in her skill for a price.

*This one sort of bends the rules. Portent says you need to give the die to a character before you see the roll and strongly implies it should be in the moment. You can chalk that up to NPC powers/ the custom feat.

**You can make the improved divination narrower in scope and not better FOR PCS. Maybe she can reset her divination faster when they read wildly different goals. Maybe you can take the 'casting of other spells' clause to an extreme and have her explain that any magic can mess with her readings.

Laereth
2017-12-22, 11:00 PM
What will the fortune teller do? That should inform their abilities for you. If she just tells fortunes, then the skills Insight and Bluff could probably work to make her a cold reader. If she actually tells the future, maybe she could be a Diviner wizard who gives portent dice to your characters*. You could then give her more levels so she could cast real divination spells. If she does anything other than reading fortunes, then you might need other tools.

If you want to go off of RAW, maybe you could design a feat that she took that gives her better** divination. Maybe her Augury can see further into the future and it recharges on a short rest for her. If you don't make it that powerful, you can even have her offer to train one of the characters in her skill for a price.

*This one sort of bends the rules. Portent says you need to give the die to a character before you see the roll and strongly implies it should be in the moment. You can chalk that up to NPC powers/ the custom feat.

**You can make the improved divination narrower in scope and not better FOR PCS. Maybe she can reset her divination faster when they read wildly different goals. Maybe you can take the 'casting of other spells' clause to an extreme and have her explain that any magic can mess with her readings.

I like the portent idea is neat. Also throwing in Augury and Divination with the condition that someone else asks a question (this way her readings are accurate so long as someone doesn't ask too much of the cards).

Now regarding her offensive abilities ? I was thinking throwing a few spells on warlock spell slots (since she is a witch).

Rogozhin
2017-12-22, 11:04 PM
Just FYI "Gypsy" is a racial slur for Roma people. I know it's used pretty commonly but still potentially offensive.

Laereth
2017-12-22, 11:13 PM
Just FYI "Gypsy" is a racial slur for Roma people. I know it's used pretty commonly but still potentially offensive.

Dang. Didn't mean it in any offensive fashion, just lacked any better translation from french :/

Naanomi
2017-12-22, 11:13 PM
To a degree. It is like ‘indian’ for Native Americans, that the term has been claimed a bit in-group; but still shouldn’t be used casually by outgroups in most situations

Rogozhin
2017-12-23, 01:03 AM
Dang. Didn't mean it in any offensive fashion, just lacked any better translation from french :/

Didn't imagine you meant any offense at all! It's one a lot of people never think of.

But to actually contribute...

I think it could be fun to play with the reliability of the character. How true are her predictions? How vague can she get? How does she react if she's wrong? Or maybe she's never wrong and reacts in an extreme way if people doubt or question her.

I also really like the idea of a hag's bargain. Volo's has great stuff. I think you could use the geas spell to this end in interesting ways.

KiltieMacPipes
2017-12-23, 03:38 AM
I don't know if it's helpful, but here goes.

My campaign world has several groups of, um, let's say, Travelers? When I need them to have character levels, they are usually bards, but I use sorcerers, and warlocks as needed. At least the magic ones. They are heavily matriarchal, and magic is solely the purview of the women. Inborn magic rather than learned. Their magic is pretty much exclusively from the schools of Enchantment, Illusion, and Divination. I also steal a lot of the effects of the Chimerstry Discipline from Vamp the Masquerade Clan Ravnos. Very seldom do I bother statting them out, and they can pretty much pull off whatever magic I need them to that fits thematically. Oooh, and they can do the Vistani curses from 3rd ed Ravenloft. They aren't currently playable as PCs so I don't feel the need to codify what they can do.

Unoriginal
2017-12-23, 04:36 AM
For one my players have a very 3.X way of mind and expect humanoid Npcs to have classes as in 3.X. i was looking more in like what class abilities should I pilfer so that she doesn't break verisimilitude for them by having abilities/spells from 5 classes.

Teach your players to stop applying 3.X rules to 5e, starting with this NPC.

Now, this Fantasy Romani woman could have any kind of powers, but IMO simply having her able to apply Charms on people, maybe even minor Boons, would be enough.

Throne12
2017-12-23, 07:48 AM
Just give her the ability from the diviner wizard portent. This is her seeing glimpse of the future. Then get her bardic of inspiration.

Then stat her and give her a some kind of magic item. Like a wand of magic missile, Circlet of Blasting, or give her a deck of cards the she can pull out a card say the Activation word it cast some spell.

Don't make her a pc spell caster.

Unoriginal
2017-12-23, 09:25 AM
Or just make her a NPC caster from the MM or Volo's with the spells you like the best.

Afrodactyl
2017-12-23, 10:06 AM
If I were to assign them a class, I'd go bard or warlock.

Personally I'd go the route of her being a hag for extra spookiness and have her try to make deals with the party that mean they have to sacrifice something in exchange. I can also give her whatever powers I want if I make up a new type of hag.

*Edited because I can't spell today apparently.

Laereth
2017-12-23, 12:19 PM
Oooh, and they can do the Vistani curses from 3rd ed Ravenloft. They aren't currently playable as PCs so I don't feel the need to codify what they can do.

I looked into the Vistani curses from Curse of Strahd along with the Evil Eye feature. All Vistana NPCs have them and since I took heavy inspiration from them for my travelling caravaneers it would mesh well with my world.

Just give her the ability from the diviner wizard portent. This is her seeing glimpse of the future. Then get her bardic of inspiration.

Then stat her and give her a some kind of magic item. Like a wand of magic missile, Circlet of Blasting, or give her a deck of cards the she can pull out a card say the Activation word it cast some spell.

Don't make her a pc spell caster.

I personally really like the idea of her having Magic Cards to simulate spell casting. I was thinking of making it mechanically warlock pact magic (ie low number of slots and short rest based), but I'd choose any spell that would fit. I just don't know if I should throw a cantrip or two in or not. My only concern is if it might be a bit too cheesy ? Fortune teller doing Card Magic, it is fitting (and I LOVE it), but I'm worried it may seem Mary Sue or the like.

Teach your players to stop applying 3.X rules to 5e, starting with this NPC.

I had tried earlier with another NPC, when they were 4th level or so. That NPC used the "scout" which has a longbow and two attacks. They kept expecting him to wreck face because she had two attacks and were very disappointed it didn't happen. When I told them why they then spent the next few times they met NPC, making jokes how "NPC aren't built like PCs we don't know what she can do". That seemed to dissipate when I gave them control over henchmen that seemed built like PCs (or at least PC like).

So yeah, I'm a bit squeamish about going left field and just splicing abilities together, even if in the end that might give the right feel. But there have been quite a few good suggestions here and I might as you say try to teach them with this one.

Unoriginal
2017-12-23, 01:21 PM
I personally really like the idea of her having Magic Cards to simulate spell casting. I was thinking of making it mechanically warlock pact magic (ie low number of slots and short rest based), but I'd choose any spell that would fit. I just don't know if I should throw a cantrip or two in or not. My only concern is if it might be a bit too cheesy ? Fortune teller doing Card Magic, it is fitting (and I LOVE it), but I'm worried it may seem Mary Sue or the like.

Just have her use the spells from her spell list, and describe her as pulling the card from the deck and showing it before the effect manifests. Nothing about it is a problem.

Just make sure the players get that the power comes from the lady, not the cards, or else they might try to steal them to get the extra powers. Or don't tell them and have them face consequences if they try to steal the deck.

I had tried earlier with another NPC, when they were 4th level or so. That NPC used the "scout" which has a longbow and two attacks. They kept expecting him to wreck face because she had two attacks and were very disappointed it didn't happen.

Well scouts can be pretty good combatants for their CR. Two longbow attacks is nothing to scoff at.

When I told them why they then spent the next few times they met NPC, making jokes how "NPC aren't built like PCs we don't know what she can do". That seemed to dissipate when I gave them control over henchmen that seemed built like PCs (or at least PC like).

Is them joking about it this bad a thing? Also, why give them PC like henchmen to control?

Laereth
2017-12-23, 02:20 PM
Just have her use the spells from her spell list, and describe her as pulling the card from the deck and showing it before the effect manifests. Nothing about it is a problem.

Just make sure the players get that the power comes from the lady, not the cards, or else they might try to steal them to get the extra powers. Or don't tell them and have them face consequences if they try to steal the deck.

I'll probably go with option 2. I feel it increases the mystical feel.

Is them joking about it this bad a thing? Also, why give them PC like henchmen to control?

If the story mandates it (ie player gains a squire or apprentice) and said character was built as a pc to prevent metagaming and/or out-of-character comments. I give them control to ease my own burden in combat, especially if said pc is to tag along long term.

I also don't give them the full sheet. Just the combat relevant ones.

Them joking about it wouldn't be wrong if it was a one of thing. But they tend to drag jokes, especially if they find it is a dumb rule in the system. They're my friends and oldest gaming group, but they have their quirks.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-23, 02:30 PM
Traveller has 2 L's when you are talking about an ethnic group of people.

Curse type spells and Abjuration spells seem fitting. A lot of real world Witchy Magic deals with protection from the supernatural. Maybe some fear inducing spells.

UnwiseAlistair
2017-12-25, 11:22 PM
I was going to mention the racial slur bit but it’s already covered.
I’d suggest picking out about five or so spells and treat them like innate casting for monsters with a set number of times per day as you feel is appropriate. I’d suggest less combat focused things, with a casting ability of charisma.
Probably benevolent or malevolent depending on her alignment.
I’d probably go with:
bestow or remove curse depending on her alignment, a divination spell or two, de/buffs depending on alignment, and probably something like pyrotechnics or faerie fire, harmless but mystical to perform with or distract enemies.

UnwiseAlistair
2017-12-25, 11:42 PM
Also a magic item or two that fit whatever theme you’re looking for. Things like a deck of illusions or a dagger of warning.