PDA

View Full Version : Custom background - acolyte of Tharmekhul

Camman1984
2017-12-23, 01:30 AM
Trying this custom background in a campaign, wanted to see what everyone else thought of it? it is meant for a Dwarven cleric of the forge in this particular campaign.

Acolyte of Tharmekhul

The followers of the forge god Tharmekhul are trained in both the skills of the forge and in the divine blessing of their god. They undergo decades of training whilst tending the First Anvil of Moradin, a holy shrine thought to be the first anvil forged by the creator god, some say it is one of the anvils that was used to create the first dwarves. Whatever the truth, the anvil is now watched over by the great smith Tharmekhul and his followers. Once an acolyte comes of age he is sent out into the world following great celebration to spread the dwarven metalwork skills that so many admire and to dedicate further anvils as loci of worship to their god.

Skill Proficiences: History, Religion
Tool Proficiences: Smith's tools
Weapon Proficiences: All hammer type weapons (light hammer, warhammer, maul)
Languages: Dwarvenn or Ignan if you already speak Dwarven
Equipment: Set of smith's tools, a set of travellers cloths, a hammer weapon chosen from light hammer, warhammer or maul
Special: This weapon is the badge if office of the acolyte. this weapon and this weapon alone can be used as a holy symbol. no other weapons, even if of the same type may be used in this way

Feature: Dedication of Tharmekhul
An acolyte can spend an hour of time and 100gp of worth of good quality metal dedicating an anvil or forge to his god Tharmekhul. Once blessed as such, a smith that says a prayer to Tharmekhul whilst using the anvil or forge can claim double their proficiency bonus with smiths tools. If the anvil or forge is not used in this way for one whole month, it loses its power.

jojo
2017-12-23, 09:40 AM
Trying this custom background in a campaign, wanted to see what everyone else thought of it? it is meant for a Dwarven cleric of the forge in this particular campaign.

Skill Proficiences: History, Religion
Tool Proficiences: Smith's tools
Weapon Proficiences: All hammer type weapons (light hammer, warhammer, maul)
Languages: Dwarvenn or Ignan if you already speak Dwarven
Equipment: Set of smith's tools, a set of travellers cloths, a hammer weapon chosen from light hammer, warhammer or maul
Special: This weapon is the badge if office of the acolyte. this weapon and this weapon alone can be used as a holy symbol. no other weapons, even if of the same type may be used in this way

Feature: Dedication of Tharmekhul
An acolyte can spend an hour of time and 100gp of worth of good quality metal dedicating an anvil or forge to his god Tharmekhul. Once blessed as such, a smith that says a prayer to Tharmekhul whilst using the anvil or forge can claim double their proficiency bonus with smiths tools. If the anvil or forge is not used in this way for one whole month, it loses its power.

Weapon Proficiency in a background? Way overpowered.

Dwarves already are proficient with; Light Hammers and Warhammers as a racial feature to begin with. They can choose proficiency in Smith's tools, again as a racial feature.

Since it provides a mechanical bonus (Expertise) Dedication of Tharmekhul isn't appropriate as a Background Feature.

I would suggest removing weapon proficiency entirely to start with. Proficiency in Smith's Tools is debatable, but a Tool Proficiency is appropriate for a background and thematically appropriate for this one in particular.

I would suggest using the Shelter of the Faithful feature from the Acolyte's PHB, renamed for thematic purposes, in place of Dedication of Tharmekhul.

I hope that helps you out.

Camman1984
2017-12-23, 07:19 PM
thanks for that, myself an my dm are having a bit of an in-depth discussion. he wants me to have an ability similar to the dedication one I listed above as he was very interested in my backstory but maybe rolling into the background was the wrong way to go, similar to the weapon proficiency, my character is dumping racial axe proficiency in exchange for full hammer proficiency.

Will probably look at adjusting the background so it become more universally viable. thanks