PDA

View Full Version : Looking for thematically appropriate "conversions" of specific 3.5 material to PFf

Kol Korran
2017-12-23, 04:19 AM
Hey all. I'm trying to "reboot" an old campaign idea I once used, which used the 3.5 system, but this time in PF. It used a homebrew world, in which some races and classes had a specific "in setting flavor".

I'm changing to PF, and looking if some of the races/ classes have couterparta in PF. Mostly from the theme/ flavor angle. Mechanics are less imprtant. It's been a loooonnngg time since I played the system, and even then we limited available material due to not having enough time to learn... So any direction can help!

What am I looking for?
Races:
- raptorans (Or "bird people")
- whisper gnomes (Or silence themed humanoid)
- snake like people? (like the humanoid looking Yuan- Ti in terms of looks)
- Goliaths. (Or "small giants")

Classes:
- Shadowcaster (Mage dealing with shadow stuff)
- Warlock (mage drawing power from pacts, with strange powers)
- Binder (drawing entities and power into themselves)
- Spell thief (can steal spells from others, using them and hurting casters).

Limitations:
- Can be either 1st or 3rd party, but must be on the PFSRD.
- No spheres of power. (No time to learn that system, though I've heard good stuff)
- No Path of War. (Similar)
- No psionics. (Similar)
- PF, not 3.5 (Even if compatible).

Thanks!

Jormengand
2017-12-23, 04:38 AM
PF has tengu, who IIRC are more bird people even than raptorans.

Scots Dragon
2017-12-23, 04:46 AM
Races:
- Raptorans; check out the strix
- Yuan-Ti; both of the vishkanya and nagaji have themes of this
- Whisper Gnomes and Goliaths I'm blank on

Classes:
- Shadowcaster; exists for the most part as a wizard archetype.
- Warlock; the witch class, it's more of a full caster but works through making external pacts rather than through studying books
- Binder; the medium class from Occult Adventures, which works like a partial-caster more than a psionics user
- Spellthief; the arcanist class has a 'spell thief' exploit, though the arcanist is more of a general spellcaster.

Quarian Rex
2017-12-23, 06:03 AM
Races
- Whisper Gnomes - try the Wayangs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-wayang). Creepy little imports from the Plane of Shadow could be what you're looking for.
- Goliaths - Half-Giants (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant/) would be the way to go. I know you said no psionics but just use the alternate racial traits Juggernaut (to replace half-giant psionics and survivor traits as normal) and Liberty or Death (as an ad-hoc replacement for Naturally Psionic) to make your campaign specific, non-psionic, variant.

Classes
- Shadowcaster - I'll offer up the Shadewright (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?443078-The-Shadewright-a-shadow-conjuring-gish-with-multifaceted-archetypes) for this. It is sort of a shadow themed gish class that has 20 (yes that is twenty) archetypes that can cover just about any shadow themed character that you could possibly want (including tainted plague doctors, kung-fu cenobites, were-shadows, shadow mystics, eaters of fear, and a crap-ton more). The actual mechanics of the class are actually pretty simple, really only requiring a perusing of the archetypes to determine the flavour of shadow and the Gloamings to select specific powers. Less complex than spell selection for wizards.
- Warlock - I can't offer you anything better than The Avowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509440-Forrestfire-Studios-Playtest-The-Avowed-a-3pp-warlock-with-a-psychic-bent) which is just the pathfinder-ization of the 3.5 Warlock. It is everything that I wanted the Warlock to be and more. Currently playing one in a game and I am pretty impressed. Be sure to check out the Heart and Soul expansion book that is linked at the bottom of the first post.
- Spell thief - as I'm looking through things, it seems like the Midnighter archetype for the Shadewright that I mentioned above might be what you're looking for. It specializes in stealing what normally cannot be stolen including spells, skills, souls, hope, innocence...

I am aware that you wanted 1st or 3rd party on the PFSRD but the class options I offered are links to free PDF downloads (the first homebrew, the second a playtest) and both are easily accessible for both you and players. And really, the quality of both offerings is just too high to be ignored.

KillingAScarab
2017-12-23, 07:33 AM
I'm changing to PF, and looking if some of the races/ classes have couterparta in PF. Mostly from the theme/ flavor angle. Mechanics are less imprtant.
What am I looking for?
Classes:
- Warlock (mage drawing power from pacts, with strange powers)
Limitations:
- Can be either 1st or 3rd party, but must be on the PFSRD.
- No psionics. (Similar)

Classes
- Warlock - I can't offer you anything better than The Avowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509440-Forrestfire-Studios-Playtest-The-Avowed-a-3pp-warlock-with-a-psychic-bent) which is just the pathfinder-ization of the 3.5 Warlock. It is everything that I wanted the Warlock to be and more. Currently playing one in a game and I am pretty impressed. Be sure to check out the Heart and Soul expansion book that is linked at the bottom of the first post.I will second avowed, though I haven't had the chance to play one at the table, yet. One other caveat, as you mentioned you're looking for flavor. Avowed expands upon psychic magic, but the only mechanics it draws upon from that are skill unlocks, if you use them. The thematic change for an avowed over a warlock is that a pact is an agreement to make a psychic connection with a powerful entity. You can still, however, have a generic "I don't know how I got this power" backstory if this seems too involved, but if you want flavor, the pacts for avowed offer quite a bit more than warlock did at first.

Avowed offers these pacts in different categories. Patron pacts would cover the traditional warlocks selling souls to devils who may grant that power, and there is some additional material on what benefits might be received by having the character selling further souls. However, there aren't any alignment limits on an avowed and the potential sources of power are more flexible than a straight from the book warlock. Patron pacts may be made with fiends, fey, celestials, but also dragons, elder gods, and natives to the Shadow Plane. There are also symbiotic pacts, where the being you enter into a pact with also becomes more powerful, and esoteric pacts which could be drawing power from dedication to a country or your own drive for perfection. If you want, pacts may also be inherited.

Another change to the flavor from warlock to avowed is that the eldritch blast becomes the aether pulse. They can still have different shapes and effects applied to them, but a good bit of work is being put into variety. As for mechanics, the ways weapon-like aether pulses interact with certain feats is also a topic covered in the playtest document.

Florian
2017-12-23, 08:38 AM
Raptorans: Strix or Tengu
Yuan-Ti: Nagaji or Vishkanya
Whisper Gnomes: Wayangs
Half Giant: No real equivalent and the ability to wield oversized weapons is more class thing in PF

Shadowcaster: All over the place, either as bloodline or archetype for multiple classes
Warlock: Witch
Binder: Medium
Spell Thief: No real equivalent, "spell thieving" abilities are part of multiple archetypes.