PDA

View Full Version : Help with a padlock build?

SkylarkR6
2017-12-23, 11:12 AM
So I'm currently AFB after a nasty fall on the ice and I have been inspired by the random little girl sitting in the clinic next to me who was talking about how unicorns are awesome and she wants to be a unicorn princess and heal all the hurt people. So with that notion....

Ancients paladin and Celestial tomelock? Texted my DM and he's willing to waive the strength req to multiclass as long as dex is there. Has anyone tried this? I'm envisioning smiting, pally aura, lots of free healing(on uncounterable bonus action at range for some of it!!!) And of course... All of the rituals.

Harrysonford
2017-12-23, 11:37 AM
I would recommend Pact of the blade, or chain, unless you plan on being a blaster? But with blade, you get double smiting, and it typically works better with martial multiclasses. Chain works for delivering touch spells like cure wounds to an ally who is farther away. But if your heart is set on tome, I’m sure that it will work well.

SkylarkR6
2017-12-23, 12:00 PM
Guess I was still stuck with EB spam in my head when I'm not playing my hexblade heh.
Though chainlock with the invocation for maxing healing on yourself could be pretty sweet with this. Maybe a super chill pseudodragon? I'm totally RPing this one as a "Power of friendship and love!" Mixed with "Unicorn Smite!!!!!". This may annoy my DM...

Callin
2017-12-23, 12:17 PM
I think Shepard Druid does Unicorn Peincess well

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-23, 02:32 PM
Guess I was still stuck with EB spam in my head when I'm not playing my hexblade heh.
Though chainlock with the invocation for maxing healing on yourself could be pretty sweet with this. Maybe a super chill pseudodragon? I'm totally RPing this one as a "Power of friendship and love!" Mixed with "Unicorn Smite!!!!!". This may annoy my DM...

Pseudodragon named Spike, with you as a simple filly named Twilight Sparkle?

Though, you could do the Tome and grab Find Familiar for one of the Ritual spells. It's not buffed up likr Chain but you can still do most things.

SkylarkR6
2017-12-23, 03:38 PM

Though, you could do the Tome and grab Find Familiar for one of the Ritual spells. It's not buffed up likr Chain but you can still do most things.

I feel like this might be a reference to something but I don't recognize it....

I copied the thread over on enworld as well to get multiple viewpoints and I rolled very well when I got home so I decided to make a Half elf, Knight of the Order of the Unicorn from scag(?) Since I get to start at 3 I'm doing paladin1/lock2, going 2/2 then 2/3 for pact, then paladin 7, lock 5 then decide from there.

Beast speech+AB invos, spells are Cure wounds, Hex and AoA
Skills: athletics, nature, insight, perception, survival and persuasion

I think this will be a fun character and since I'm a cynical **** by nature, should be an interesting RP

rbstr
2017-12-23, 04:02 PM
This works fine. Though I'm not sure tome is all that great of a way to go. Are you trying to pick up Shillelagh? I dono if i'd delay paladin 5 for so long but I guess you could use a weapon cantrip to pick up the slack for a while.

Blade has the +1 weapon invocation and cha+ to damage if you take warlock high enough. Taking eldritch smite, though, just seems redundant. A lot of other stuff to take with your invocations. You could also take extra attack from here temporarily if you want to be mostly warlock until higher levels.
Chain has the maximized self-healing which would be very strong if you're doing a lot of tanking.

I don't quite get why you need to get the multiclassing req. waived. Strength works fine on a Paladin/Lock if you start paladin.

Otherwise Warlock has a lot of good stuff with Paladin. Great mix and match of spells and other features. I have an Ancients 6/Celestial 4. I get a lot of use from use Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image depending on the kind of encounter and the Bonus action heals are really useful. I took blade since I didn't have a magical weapon.

SkylarkR6
2017-12-23, 05:50 PM
Honestly I'm still not 100% decided on pact. Thirsting blade doesn't stack with extra attack though the Cha to damage is nice and the summoning of weapon is always cool. I think Eldritch smite might be overkill is all. Chain has the cool healing and the fun RP pet, but I can get a familiar from tome and have the rituals and extra cantrips.

Oh and I asked the waive to be slightly less MAD and make a dexadin because usually I roll junk.

Davrix
2017-12-23, 06:07 PM

*chuckles* Try searching new My little pony and you will understand the joke, which if your a fan of the show is rather amusing especially if you take fly when you get lv 3 spells and polymorph to turn yourself into a pony :) Also the little girl would next to you would greatly approve of the concept.

I actually run a pally lock. A little kobold named Nox. Who uses the celestial pact, tomb feature and the redemption oath. it makes for a lot of stupid healing on the battlefield and he is just a damage sponge. Just make sure you steal the druid shelelegh cantrip and you can hit people with a wooden stick with your Char mod and you dont have to worry about str at all. At lv 3 paladin and lv 5 warlock he has 20 Ac with shield because the Dm was kind to me and had him find a set of mithril plate in the first few sessions. (was using half plate before then, which was still a 19 to AC for a kobold which was impressive) So you get a bunch of heal die from the celestial pact, more from LOH from paladin. You snag the familiar which lets you cast spells and touch attacks through it along with giving t he help action to your party members in combat and with warlock invocation that pulls and pushes targets for eldrich blast you get some pretty decent CC oh also there is that new invocation that lets you basically encase yourself in ice for your full HP if you get smacked by a critical hit. Honestly I'm having a blast with it but then the sight of a flying kobold in full plate wacking people with a wooden sword is just to amazing to ever not be fun.

Tikkun
2017-12-23, 09:29 PM
Padlock is okay, but, Sorcadin does it better. Try your Oath of Ancients with a Divine Soul Sorcerer. They can pick and choose ANY cleric spell and cast it as if it was a Sorcerer spell. Plus you can get some extra slots for smiting. Their level 3 archetype ability allows great healing.