PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shapechange and Innate Spell/Day, Recharge

Renduaz
2017-12-23, 12:43 PM
If someone Shapechanges into a dragon, uses the breath attack, then changes into something else, and back again into a dragon, is the ability automatically recharged? Secondly, if a monster has Innate Spellcasting for a select number of times per day, for example a Couatl which can cast Greater Restoration once a day, and you use it up, change into another form, and then back into a Couatl, does it refill and therefore allow you to innately cast it infinitely within the hour?

I haven't been able to find a RAW verdict about it, but there are a few things to consider before making a decision. Whether the form that you change into becomes "assigned" on the first time and all of it's depleted abilities remaining the same the next time you switch back to it, or whether each changing creates a "fresh" form. If you are eager to rule it is the former, then remember that the closest precedent, that of a Druid's Wild Shape ( Which also consists of forms, rather than a "real" creature ) would actually suggest the opposite. That unless indicated otherwise by a description, each form is a "Fresh" one, enabling the Archdruid's ridiculous ability to hand themselves HP on a whim with every bonus action. While Shapechange's description specifically precludes the acquisition of fresh HP, but does not explicitly address any abilities. Therefore, if the precedent on magical transformations into new forms is that each form is a fresh one, and no specific rules have been placed on certain aspects of it, then it would actually seem likelier that the latter ruling would be the most accurate, as overpowered as it may be, much like the Archdruid.

Quoz
2017-12-24, 02:18 AM
I think this is an example of can but shouldn't. Even with the strictest interpretation, I would guess that there are several different creatures available with fresh copies of whatever spell like ability you want, and legally you could cycle through them.

The bigger question is not 'is this allowed' it's 'is this going to break down the game too much?' Will you effectively be sidelining other players at the table by doing so? Will you be keeping the GM from challenging the party as a whole? Will the game still be fun for all involved if it often comes down to you playing solitaire with a stack of monster manual flashcards?

At some tables, this would be a fine route to take and could play well. For most tables I would even go so far as to say it makes for an awesome and amazing crowning moment of badass, so long as you don't do it every session. Heck, go for broke and use wish to get find greater steed so it can use share spells for double benefit. But make sure you check in with your GM first and that you won't be stealing all of the spotlight.