PDA

View Full Version : Can a Warlock levitate and have his familiar push him around to effectively fly?

Talionis
2017-12-23, 03:08 PM
This should effectively let you fly all the time.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-12-23, 03:10 PM
This should effectively let you fly all the time.

Even assuming it works, levitate is concentration, short-duration and uses up one of the warlock's few slots.

Millstone85
2017-12-23, 03:13 PM
Even assuming it works, levitate is concentration, short-duration and uses up one of the warlock's few slots.The spell is most likely cast through the Ascendant Step invocation, which makes it at-will.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-12-23, 03:23 PM
The spell is most likely cast through the Ascendant Step invocation, which makes it at-will.

But still concentration and short duration. Also--don't familiars have a really low weight limit for dragging? Just because you're floating doesn't reduce your mass (inertia).

Just checked: an imp's STR is 6. That puts a max at 90 lbs for normal carrying capacity, 180 for half-speed push/pull/drag. Makes for very slow (20 ft per round, vertical motion takes your movement, restricted to 20 ft/round) movement.

Millstone85
2017-12-23, 04:04 PM
But still concentration and short duration.For the duration, that just means you have to cast the spell again every 10 minutes.

And yes, it uses your concentration.

Also--don't familiars have a really low weight limit for dragging? Just because you're floating doesn't reduce your mass (inertia).

Just checked: an imp's STR is 6. That puts a max at 90 lbs for normal carrying capacity, 180 for half-speed push/pull/drag. Makes for very slow (20 ft per round, vertical motion takes your movement, restricted to 20 ft/round) movement.Assuming you are right on levitation physics, it is even worse than that.

Because the imp is Tiny, its carrying and pushing/dragging/lifting capacities are halved. Not 90 and 180 lbs, but 45 and 90 lbs.

Also, speed isn't halved while dragging beyond carrying capacity, it drops to 5 feet.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-12-23, 04:17 PM
For the duration, that just means you have to cast the spell again every 10 minutes.

And yes, it uses your concentration.

Assuming you are right on levitation physics, it is even worse than that.

Because the imp is Tiny, its carrying and pushing/dragging/lifting capacities are halved. Not 90 and 180 lbs, but 45 and 90 lbs.

Also, speed isn't halved while dragging beyond carrying capacity, it drops to 5 feet.

Ah yes. So maneuvering thrusters, not impulse engines. :)

Elminster298
2017-12-23, 04:30 PM
I would allow this as a DM just for the fun of voicing a VERY pissed off imp VERY slowly pulling you around.

Dalebert
2017-12-23, 05:40 PM
My warlock's a kobold who weighs 20 lbs. Don't need levitate. My imp just carries me!

Asmotherion
2017-12-23, 05:59 PM
I always allowed moving forward as difficult terrain. Practically using small motions of going up and down to "float" in the direction that you intend. Otherwise I feel it's not worth both your Invocation and your Concentration slot that 9/10 Warlocks dedicate on Hex. Also it's more fun this way as "levitating mages" were always a part of Fantasy, and I like having them in my games.

Back in 3.5 they used to have the equivalent of the Fly spell at-will, so allowing them to move horizontally up to 15 feet as a move action is not going to break anything IMO.

Talionis
2017-12-23, 06:27 PM
I wasn't seeing it as a full time all the time. I was just thinking in a pinch it would be a way to move a little.

Asmotherion
2017-12-23, 06:43 PM
I wasn't seeing it as a full time all the time. I was just thinking in a pinch it would be a way to move a little.

Well, it is creative. The way I see it, most of your weight is already held aloft by the spell, thus a minimal force is needed to move you, kinda like if you were in lower/zero gravity or something. I would allow it to move you at half it's own fly speed (but only horizontally).

Still, I am a random person on the internet. It's your DM who needs to accept it, and allow this mechanics to work into his game :P