Not sure who would be able to cast it, but here's a spell:

Sanity Claws
Evocation [Force]

Level: ?????
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One pair of claws
Duration: 1 round per 3 caster levels (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell brings into being shimmering claws of force. The claws strike at any target within its range, as you desire, starting in the round that you cast the spell. The claws attack their designated target once each round on your turn. If the target is willing, no attack roll is needed If the target is unwilling, an attack roll is needed; and the attack bonus is equal to your Caster Level. As a force effect, they can strike ethereal and incorporeal creatures.

The claws deal force damage according to the table below, with a threat range of 20 and a critical multiplier of ×2.

Further, they dispel magical confusion effects, insanity effects, and effects reducing the subject’s Int, Wis, and/or Cha, as dispel magic does, with the same chance of success. The damage inflicted determines the number of spell levels worth of effects that may be dispelled, up to 1 spell level per point of damage inflicted.

If there are no such affects on the target, and at least 4 points of damage are inflicted, they cure 1 point of temporary ability damage to one of the these ability scores. They do not restore permanent ability drain.

The claws always strike from your direction. They do not get a bonus for flanking or help a combatant get one. If the claws go beyond the spell range from you, they go out of your sight, or if you are not directing them, the spell ends and the claws disappear.

Each round after the first, you can use a standard action to switch the claws to a new target. If you do not, the claws continue to attack the previous round’s target.

The claws cannot be harmed by physical attacks, and damage from the attacks affects the caster instead of the claws, but dispel magic, disintegrate, a sphere of annihilation, or a rod of cancellation affects claws. The sword’s AC is 12 (10, +2 size bonus for Tiny object).

If an attacked creature has spell resistance, the resistance is checked the first time the claws strike it. If the claws are successfully resisted, the spell is dispelled. If not, the claws have their normal full effect on that creature for the duration of the spell.

Caster Level
Damage

1d3 or 1d4

as above or1d6

5 or greater
as above or1d8

Change Log

01/19/2018 Changed duration (Thank you, InvisibleBison.)

01/19/2018 Increased Attack Bonus (Thank you, InvisibleBison.)

01/19/2018 Removed attack roll for willing targets (Thank you, InvisibleBison.)

01/19/2018 Increased possible damage, and made effect vary by damage inficted (Thank you, InvisibleBison.)

InvisibleBison
2017-12-23, 09:02 PM
I quite like this spell! The idea of creating giant magical claws that maul people into being sane is quite interesting, and the trade-off of the damage prevents it from being overpowered.

That being said, there are some parts that could be improved:

1) I think it needs more attack bonus. Especially if cast by a sorcerer or wizard, the caster's base attack bonus alone is not going to be enough to reliably affect people. I'd recommend giving it an attack bonus of caster level + spellcasting ability modifier.

2) It should probably do variable damage based on what effects it's getting rid of, say 1d3 per effect dispelled or point of ability damage cured. It might be a good idea to make some or all of the damage impossible to cure with healing magic, to avoid making it too easy to bypass the downside of the spell.

3) The duration is rather short. I'd recommend making it 1 round/3 caster levels.

As for level, it's somewhat like dispel magic and somewhat like lesser restoration, but less versatile than either spell, and it has a significant drawback. I'd say making it 1 spell level lower than dispel magic is probably fair.

ideasmith
2018-01-19, 07:27 PM
I quite like this spell! The idea of creating giant magical claws that maul people into being sane is quite interesting, and the trade-off of the damage prevents it from being overpowered.

That being said, there are some parts that could be improved:

1) I think it needs more attack bonus. Especially if cast by a sorcerer or wizard, the caster's base attack bonus alone is not going to be enough to reliably affect people. I'd recommend giving it an attack bonus of caster level + spellcasting ability modifier.

2) It should probably do variable damage based on what effects it's getting rid of, say 1d3 per effect dispelled or point of ability damage cured. It might be a good idea to make some or all of the damage impossible to cure with healing magic, to avoid making it too easy to bypass the downside of the spell.

3) The duration is rather short. I'd recommend making it 1 round/3 caster levels.

As for level, it's somewhat like dispel magic and somewhat like lesser restoration, but less versatile than either spell, and it has a significant drawback. I'd say making it 1 spell level lower than dispel magic is probably fair.

Thank you for your suggestions; I’ve made some changes. I didn’t upgrade it as much as you suggested; you missed that it is also somewhat like Mordenkainen’s sword, which is a 7th level spell.

Your advice on the spell level is all very well, but doesn’t tell me which spell list(s) to put it on. None of the core classes seem suitable, and since I’m familiar with different non-core classes than most people on this forum, I was hoping for suggestions.