PDA

View Full Version : Gnome spellcaster wizard type character

Whit
2017-12-23, 11:44 PM
Not sure what the names are from UA for a gnome build
1. The spellcaster that can change element type
2. The spellcaster that gets his spells from a god

Ultimate goal to end character as a gnome Lich. Don’t want to go necromancy as it’s to basic. I like roll playing characters that will be remembered years later

Which one might be better

MxKit
2017-12-24, 04:57 AM
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking or what you're referring to... "Spellcaster that can change element type" could refer to any Sorcerer or Wizard, so long as they know the spells absorb elements, chromatic orb, and maybe dragon's breath (or, from what I can tell, the UA Mystic), and "spellcaster that gets his spells from a god" could be the Divine Soul Sorcerer, so that subclass would have you covered on both. If the source of your divine power is evil, you get the inflict wounds spell, which isn't a lich spell in the MM but it does feel rather fitting! And Unearthly Recovery works for a character who just won't die.

Weirdly, I'd say that the subclass that makes me think of a lich most is the Undying Patron for the Warlock. It's not even that great a Patron! I mean, it's absolutely still good, but it's at best tied for Celestial for least amazing of the Warlock options. But you get an expanded spell list that really feels intensely thematic even though it's not giving you actual lich spells, gives you crazy healing (including being able to reattach body parts! one body part per short rest, lol), and at level ten you start aging a lot slower and no longer need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe. And of course your Undying Patron can be a lich that you are learning and gaining power from; a full half of the example patrons it lists are liches! I think if I were DMing a game where someone went Warlock with the Undying Patron and they wanted to end up a lich by the end, I'd absolutely remove the wizard restriction, let that be their character arc and let them take a quest at some point that would end with them finding out the phylactery ritual.

Desteplo
2017-12-24, 11:23 AM
Lore wizard and theurgy wizard
-both are above power level to any other. But if your dm allows it then whatever