PDA

View Full Version : Druid and Iron Body

Hiro Quester
2017-12-24, 01:46 AM
Druid/Holt Warden with earth domain spells, gets Iron Body as a domain spell at 8th level.

Druids can't wear metal armor. Can a druid cast Iron Body on himself?

I want to imagine the iron body as iron-rich natural ore, rather than smelted and worked steel. Am I just rationalizing, in order to use a rather un-druidic option?

Nifft
2017-12-24, 01:55 AM
Druids can't wear metal armor. Can a druid cast Iron Body on himself?

Is your body wearing your body as armor? Probably not, barring a visit to the Far Realm.

Is an Earth Elemental entirely free of iron? Probably not, but your Druid can turn into one without any negative effect.

The spell is not armor. Don't sweat it.

Spore
2017-12-24, 04:41 AM
If it is on the druid spell list it is just common sense that is supposed to be useable by druids without mechanical drawbacks. If your individual character runs well with the idea of the spell Iron Body however is up for you to decide.

There are enough instances where casters would refrain from using certain spells because they do not fit their character's mantra starting with wizard damage spells and pacifists that would simply never prepare such a thing.

Inevitability
2017-12-24, 05:26 AM
Is your body wearing your body as armor? Probably not, barring a visit to the Far Realm.

Can I sig this?

Nifft
2017-12-24, 02:00 PM
Can I sig this?

Of course.

ericgrau
2017-12-24, 07:24 PM
RAW, no. It's not actual armor.

The reason behind it as far as I can tell is that not wearing metal armor is a choice made by druids to better represent their connection to nature. It's a druidic oath or some such. Iron body is still natural-ish as "living iron" so it's fine.

Iron is actually naturally occurring, though uncommon. I would go with meteoric iron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_meteorite) for the fluff appearance, which is like a crude stainless steel. Most naturally occurring iron is like this because it doesn't rust into rock.

Bohandas
2017-12-25, 12:34 AM
Is your body wearing your body as armor?

It's iron natural armor

Dimers
2017-12-25, 01:58 AM
A druid with a city ACF can wildshape into a metal creature. I'm not familiar with other wildshape feats or ACFs but I imagine there's more than one that lets you take on a metallic body. Furthermore, warforged and bladelings can become druids, and they already have (partially) metallic bodies.