PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing the Bonus Action casting of spells restriction

hymer
2017-12-24, 03:27 AM
When you cast a spell as a bonus action, you cannot cast another spell that turn, unless that spell is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. Okay, but you can still Ready a spell, right? So you cast your Healing Word or Misty Step, and then Ready a Fireball or Hold Person, set to go off as soon as it isn't your turn any more. It will cost you your reaction, of course.

Am I missing something there? If I'm not, how do you guys feel about this?

AncientManBeast
2017-12-24, 03:43 AM
No you can't since you are still using your action to cast that spell and and using your reaction to trigger it. There is a sage advice on this but i don't have enough posts to link it.

Nidgit
2017-12-24, 03:48 AM
My understanding is that you cast the spell on your turn and then concentrate on holding it until the reactive trigger. So by that interpretation, you can't Ready anything but a cantrip if you've already cast something as a bonus action.

Unoriginal
2017-12-24, 04:25 AM
When you cast a spell as a bonus action, you cannot cast another spell that turn, unless that spell is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action. Okay, but you can still Ready a spell, right? So you cast your Healing Word or Misty Step, and then Ready a Fireball or Hold Person, set to go off as soon as it isn't your turn any more. It will cost you your reaction, of course.

Am I missing something there? If I'm not, how do you guys feel about this?

Ready uses you action. You can't ready and cast a cantrip with the same action.

Talamare
2017-12-24, 04:32 AM
When you Ready a Spell

You immediately cast it on that same turn
Then you hold the spell before releasing it onto your target based on the trigger

but the point is that the spell is still cast on your turn.