PDA

View Full Version : Group Concept: The Flock

Caelic
2017-12-24, 09:45 AM
I'm toying with the idea of assembling an AL playgroup to build a cohesive team of characters. The concept would be that they're all (at least initially) warlocks dedicated to the Raven Queen. The initial idea came when someone in our group jokingly said that the solution to the "Warlock can see in the darkness but none of the rest of us can" problem was just to make everybody warlocks.

Honestly, though we all chuckled, it could be dauntingly formidable.

Here's what I was thinking of, just as a rough idea for how the group might be built. (We'd likely be using DM rewards to start at seventh level.)

1. The Face: Hexblade 2/Lore Bard 5. This is the Flock's leader. A master manipulator, he can take on any role.
2. The Raven Herald: Paladin (Ancients) 5/Hexblade 2. The group's primary tank. Will eventually take Pact of the Chain; his familiar will be the group's scout.
3. The Prophet: Hexblade 2/Divine Soul 5. The one most directly in touch with the Raven Queen, constantly walking the fine line between revelation and madness.
4. The Lady's Sword: Paladin 2/Hexblade (Pact of the Blade) 5.
5. The Scholar: Hexblade 7 (Pact of the Tome) His study of ancient lore provides the group with utility they would not otherwise have, in the form of ritual spells. He has the deepest understanding of the Raven Queen's gifts.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I realize a mix of pacts would be more versatile, but the idea here is a coherent cult.

BladedWizard
2017-12-24, 09:54 AM
Very cool idea. I would switch the Lady’s Sword to swasbuckler instead of paladin to have some finesse in the group.

No brains
2017-12-24, 10:16 AM
Minor name suggestion: don't call them The Flock unless that's what the Raven Queen calls her followers in canon. The Flock could refer to many other things. Instead, call them The Murder. A murder is the name for a group of crows and I assume it works for other corvids. I think I've also heard a flock of ravens called an Unkindness, so perhaps you could try that too.

Caelic
2017-12-24, 12:46 PM
Minor name suggestion: don't call them The Flock unless that's what the Raven Queen calls her followers in canon. The Flock could refer to many other things. Instead, call them The Murder. A murder is the name for a group of crows and I assume it works for other corvids. I think I've also heard a flock of ravens called an Unkindness, so perhaps you could try that too.

The proper name is "Unkindness" or "Conspiracy," but neither of those really has a great ring as a group name. "Murder" is specifically crows, and is likely to get us in trouble if we adopt it as our group name.

"State your name and business!"

"Murder."

"Uhh..."