PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Downsizing the Tengu

Palanan
2017-12-24, 06:06 PM
I’d like to make a Small version of the tengu, but I’m not sure where to start.

The first Bestiary has rules for building monsters from scratch, but I don’t see anything about reducing the size category of an existing creature. The Advanced Race Guide has a short section on size, including a few modifiers for Small races; so I’m wondering if it’s as simple as applying those modifiers to the existing tengu, or if there’s more that I need to do.

Are there any rules for reducing racial size? And if not, what are the bases I need to cover here?

Castilonium
2017-12-24, 07:52 PM
You can just make them small with no other changes needed. Aasimar, Tieflings, and Skinwalkers all can be medium or small, so there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing with Tengus.

For reference, size modifiers for small are +1 attack, +1 AC, -1 CMB, -1 CMD, +2 fly, +4 stealth, decreased weapon damage, 3/4th carrying capacity, and your equipment weighs 1/2 as much.

grarrrg
2017-12-24, 11:38 PM
For reference, size modifiers for small are +1 attack, +1 AC, -1 CMB, -1 CMD, +2 fly, +4 stealth, decreased weapon damage, 3/4th carrying capacity, and your equipment weighs 1/2 as much.

It's also common to drop STR and raise DEX, but that would give them a +4 DEX, which might be a bit much.

Palanan
2017-12-25, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by grarrrg
It's also common to drop STR and raise DEX, but that would give them a +4 DEX, which might be a bit much.

I agree, +4 Dex would be too much. But I do like dropping Strength.

They should drop to a speed of 20 as well. What else could be added to compensate for -2 Str and decreased base speed?

Kobold Esq
2017-12-25, 12:48 PM
I agree, +4 Dex would be too much. But I do like dropping Strength.

They should drop to a speed of 20 as well. What else could be added to compensate for -2 Str and decreased base speed?

you don't HAVE to do anything. There are, for example, plenty of published small races with greater than 20 speed. Both goblins and kobolds have 30 base speed. Once you start making changes, you have free range to do whatever you feel is appropriate.

Palanan
2017-12-25, 07:14 PM
I like the notion of dropping Str by -2, but I'd like to balance that out with something else.

I can't think of another stat that needs a +2 boost, so is there some other benefit that could come with small size?

Kobold Esq
2017-12-25, 09:04 PM
Does it explicitly have to be a small tengu, as opposed to just a "very similar tengu-like creature"? if so, you could slap on whatever you want.

Castilonium
2017-12-25, 09:43 PM
I like the notion of dropping Str by -2, but I'd like to balance that out with something else.

I can't think of another stat that needs a +2 boost, so is there some other benefit that could come with small size?

I just listed all of the modifiers being small gives you. If you're not a character that likes to stack up size increases past medium for more reach, damage, and area control, then being small is a straight upgrade over being medium. Medium is just inferior to small in every way, otherwise, except for CMB and CMD.

Palanan
2017-12-26, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Castilonium
I just listed all of the modifiers being small gives you.

I already saw those in the Advanced Race Guide. But modifiers without context won’t answer my question.

Originally Posted by Castilonium
Medium is just inferior to small in every way….

Decreased weapon damage is hardly an upgrade.

Originally Posted by grarrrg
It's also common to drop STR and raise DEX….

This is helpful, and I'd like to follow up on it.

All I’m really looking for is something that would be roughly equivalent to raising Dex.