PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bladesinger with point buy and elven accuracy?

Klorox
2017-12-24, 07:17 PM
How would you plan out this character?

Naanomi
2017-12-24, 08:39 PM
Planning on using SCAG cantrips? What is your plan to get advantage consistently, familiar/Help action? Hrm...

8/17/14/16/10/8
Elven Accuracy, Warcaster, +2 INT, + 2 INT, +2 DEX (not in that order per se)... or maybe push WIS down to 8, bump CON to 15, and pick up Resiliant: CON...

Bladesinger makes a decent ‘generalist Wizard’ so kind of depends on if you are actually planning on melee or not

Navigator
2017-12-24, 08:41 PM
Bladesinger 6 / Arcane Trickster 14 or Bladesinger 2 / Arcane Trickster 18 - This will keep Elven Accuracy relevant later in your career. This combination has good synergy already and Elven Accuracy obviously helps you land your sneak dice. Max Dex with feats.

Fighter 2 (Archery, Action Surge) / Bladesinger 18 - I'd consider this optimal only if you went with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, which gives you reasonably competitive ranged damage output. Max Dex with feats.

If you can possibly get access to a headband of intellect that would very much help the build by allowing you to have a reasonable Wisdom for saves and skill checks and concentrate on maxing Dex with ASIs. Otherwise try getting 16 Int / 16 Dex with High Elf.

I would not recommend single-classed Bladesinger with this feat because it's a trap. Every round you spend putting yourself at risk in melee trying to do your wimpy d8+3 damage as a high level wizard is a round you're not casting a god-like, reality-altering spell. Every round you spend casting a spell is a round you see no benefit from Elven Accuracy, and it holds up maxing your Int.

Citan
2017-12-30, 06:38 PM
Bladesinger 6 / Arcane Trickster 14 or Bladesinger 2 / Arcane Trickster 18 - This will keep Elven Accuracy relevant later in your career. This combination has good synergy already and Elven Accuracy obviously helps you land your sneak dice. Max Dex with feats.

Fighter 2 (Archery, Action Surge) / Bladesinger 18 - I'd consider this optimal only if you went with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, which gives you reasonably competitive ranged damage output. Max Dex with feats.

If you can possibly get access to a headband of intellect that would very much help the build by allowing you to have a reasonable Wisdom for saves and skill checks and concentrate on maxing Dex with ASIs. Otherwise try getting 16 Int / 16 Dex with High Elf.

I would not recommend single-classed Bladesinger with this feat because it's a trap. Every round you spend putting yourself at risk in melee trying to do your wimpy d8+3 damage as a high level wizard is a round you're not casting a god-like, reality-altering spell. Every round you spend casting a spell is a round you see no benefit from Elven Accuracy, and it holds up maxing your Int.
Is Elven Accuracy working only on ranged attacks? From what I recall it works equally well with melee attacks...

So pure Bladesinger is perfectly fine, even if obviously a starting dip in Fighter helps in many regards (Constitution saves, better AC, better starting HP, better offense with TWF style).

@OP
Of course you'd better play as a normal Wizard until you get at least lvl 4, aka actively avoiding melee, using Bladesong mainly as a way to better maintain your concentration. It's easier to survive this way. But if you feel confident go for it. :)

I kinda agree too that using your potent as a melee gish is not necessarily the best use of a whole Wizard potential, at least in parties in which he's the main (only?) caster.
But if you really want to play a powerful martial on a caster gish, you made the best choice (barring maybe the new Hexblade Warlock), you will be a great asset to the team. And nothing nor nobody prevents you from going back as a normal Wizard when control/AOE is really needed, nor still playing the ritual card whenever it's useful to the group. :)

As for going pure class or taking 1-2 Fighter dip... Honestly everything is viable, but if you took Bladesinger because of the martial abilities, I'd daresay you will be perfectly fine with delaying powerful casting to (much) later, so I'd really advise you to take a dip in Fighter: not just because of Constitution if you start with it (Wisdom is also really important anyways), but because of everything else: light armor (seems not much in "light" of Mage Armor, but one slot spared is big at low levels), TWF (immediate boost in melee offense) and +4 HP flat.
So if you plan on being a melee Wizard, it will make your life much much easier.

As for 2nd level in Fighter, I'd reaaaallly advise you NOT to take it before at least being Wizard 7, and as late as possible. At least by that time you really start having some encounter-shaping spells and generally enough fuel to make a 2-at-once gamble potentially worth delaying higher features... Although I'd really wouldn't take it myself: higher level spells, big boost in attack at 14 and access to free Shield and Mirror Image/Misty Step at 18 is too important.

Anyways, hope that helps you. Have fun!

RSP
2017-12-30, 08:01 PM
EA is tough, due to the need for both Dex and Int, however, if going for it as a martial-based BS, I'd probably do:

Str 8
Dex 15 (17 after racial bonus)
Con 14
Int 15 (16 as Eladrin or High Elf if Eladrin not allowed)
Wis 10
Chr 8

At level 4 pick up EA to get Dexto 18. Grabbing a Headband of Intellect early on would help as you pump up Dex first, then Int (you still want that 20).

The main way of taking advantage of EA (pun intended), is with Shadow Blade (upcast as needed), and hang out in dim or dark lighting for always on Super Advantage.