PDA

View Full Version : What happens to a Nightwing when resurrect is used on it?

ErebusVonMori
2017-12-24, 08:11 PM
In the list of undead traits it says that resurrection will return an undead creature back to their living form if it's used on them.

How does this affect an extraplanar undead like the Nightwing that never had such a form?

Necroticplague
2017-12-24, 09:16 PM
In the list of undead traits it says that resurrection will return an undead creature back to their living form if it's used on them.

How does this affect an extraplanar undead like the Nightwing that never had such a form?

Nightshades (the type of undead Nightwings are) are formed from dead fiends that were continually exposed to Negative Energy after their deaths. So, presumably, such spells would bring them back to being the fiend they once were.

All undead come from something that was once alive. That's what makes them undead. Things that were never alive are Constructs.

ErebusVonMori
2017-12-24, 09:28 PM
I thought one of the hard and fast rules was that extraplanar entities couldn't be resurrected, when they die they stay dead.

Zancloufer
2017-12-24, 10:16 PM
True Resurrection and wish works on outsiders iirc so even if 'normal' Resurrection doesn't work on a Nightwing because it was once and outsider True Resurrection should.

ErebusVonMori
2017-12-24, 10:19 PM
Do any of the books say which fiend ends up as which nightshade?

quark12000
2017-12-24, 11:42 PM
Batman and Starfire are very happy!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Necroticplague
2017-12-25, 03:14 AM
I thought one of the hard and fast rules was that extraplanar entities couldn't be resurrected, when they die they stay dead.
That would make no real sense, as all creatures are extraplanar somewhere.

Do any of the books say which fiend ends up as which nightshade?
Dragon Magazine 336. It’s not based on type of fiend, but sun of charisma and HD.

ben-zayb
2017-12-25, 04:38 AM
Batman and Starfire are very happy!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I dunno. We already had one member of the bat family restored to life, and look how that turned out.:smallamused:

ErebusVonMori
2017-12-25, 07:15 AM
Extraplanar to the material plane, that's the base assumption

Bronk
2017-12-25, 07:22 AM

You’re thinking of outsiders, which are made of soul stuff instead of having souls... they need the ‘revive outsider’ spell to be brought back.

Necroticplague
2017-12-25, 07:26 AM
Extraplanar to the material plane, that's the base assumption

One's extraplanar status is entirely irrelevant to one's ability to be resurrected. What's relevant is the creature's type.

ErebusVonMori
2017-12-25, 09:47 AM
Okay an outsider, it was pretty obvious what I meant.

Hellpyre
2017-12-25, 04:26 PM

Except that there are several non-outsider extraplanar creatures, as well as non-extraplanar outsiders. It was entirely possible, given your statements, that you were unaware of how those categories might be treated differently by the rules.

Fouredged Sword
2017-12-26, 08:43 AM
As a Dm I would just have the nightwing dissolve into soul stuff as the undeath is undone but the spell is unable to restore an outsider to life. The now living soul stuff just dissolves and returns to the correct plane.

The spell is a very expensive SOD. It would be cruel for it to fail out of hand.

Crake
2017-12-26, 09:46 AM
As a Dm I would just have the nightwing dissolve into soul stuff as the undeath is undone but the spell is unable to restore an outsider to life. The now living soul stuff just dissolves and returns to the correct plane.

The spell is a very expensive SOD. It would be cruel for it to fail out of hand.

The only problem is that one of the cardinal rules of resurrection in DND is that the target must be willing. To use resurrection to return an undead to it's former state of living would require the undead be willing to return to life, and as such cannot be used offensively. Not to mention the 1 minute casting time.

Fouredged Sword
2017-12-26, 10:06 AM
The only problem is that one of the cardinal rules of resurrection in DND is that the target must be willing. To use resurrection to return an undead to it's former state of living would require the undead be willing to return to life, and as such cannot be used offensively. Not to mention the 1 minute casting time.

I think the original soul must be willing, not the current occupant. If someone turns you into a controlled undead and your allies manage to tie you up they should be able to return you to life despite the stuggles of the undead creature occupying your body.

Now, if you turned YOURSELF undead, that may be a different problem.

jmax
2017-12-26, 10:06 AM

Step 1: Rebuke Undead with enough margin to Command Undead instead
Step 2: Command target to accept resurrection
Step 3: Cast resurrection

Of course, strictly speaking, it's the target's soul that must be willing. That outsider probably wants very much to be back in command of its faculties again, so it's unlikely you'd have to result in Command Undead in the first place.

Nifft
2017-12-26, 01:49 PM
In my most recent 3.5e game, shadow-based undead like the Nightshade family of monsters were never alive.

Resurrection would not have any effect.

Necroticplague
2017-12-26, 08:43 PM

No, it wasn't remotely clear you meant Outsider, when everything you said was 'extraplanar to the material plane'.