PDA

View Full Version : Get my str up to 240

Calthropstu
2017-12-24, 08:50 PM
I want to be able to pick up a planet. 240 str is what you need to pick up an earth sized planet. How can you do this raw?
Edit: assume no infinite loops allowed.
Also Pathfinder.

Necroticplague
2017-12-24, 08:59 PM
Festering Anger+Cancer Mage can do this in a few months. Pain Mastery+Large amounts of Fast Healing or Regeneration can also do the trick.

Zaq
2017-12-24, 09:48 PM
Pre-Epic without infinite loops? I’m genuinely not sure if that’s possible. I’m going to assume that Festering Anger counts as infinite, since there’s no theoretical limit other than your race’s age maximum (which, if you’re really optimizing, you’ll work around, though STR 240 should happen well before that becomes relevant).

That said, if you Google for some of the old Hulking Hurler TO threads (which I seem to recall being more common on other forums than on this one), they’ll probably have numbers for exactly how high you can get without going infinite.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-24, 10:04 PM
If you're a convert spell-to-power erudite, manifest metamorphosis into a plant, followed by a repeatedly manifesting double-Empowered awaken spells powers until your Str score is maxed for base 36 Str.

Being a Large or larger quadruped would decrease the amount of Str you need.

The hauling back graft (Fiend Folio) makes you count as a quadruped for carrying capacity.

The Pathfinder burdenless armor increases your carrying capacity by x1.5.

Pathfinder muleback cords increase your effective Str for carrying capacity by +8.

Improved eldritch heritage (giant) from Pathfinder makes you count as one size larger when it benefits you, including for carrying capacity.

Dragon #272 has the Improved Encumbrance feat, for an effective +4 to Str for carrying capacity.

Dungeon #82 has Improved Carrying Capacity, which is an effective +2.

Since anyone can count as an exotic mount, Dragonlance: Dragons of Krynn has the Mighty Steed feat, which increases your effective size category for encumbrance and the size of those who can ride you by +1.

The Natural Heavyweight feat from the Planar Handbook doubles your carrying capacity.

The strength of my enemy psionic power lets you absorb up to 8 points of Str damage you inflict on a single enemy (multiple enemies overlap) as an enhancement bonus. Persist it to get this all day.

Use the Spell Versatility (Transmutation) ACF from Unearthed Arcana to turn wish into a Transmutation spell. Then use the Ability Enhancer feat to apply to your castings of wish such that each casting gives you a +3 instead of a +1. So the +5 you would normally get is now a +15. Apply the Focus Caster (Transmutation) ACF to double this bonus to +30. If you take the Spell Perfection (Wish) feat, from Pathfinder, this doubles again to +60. I think. Note that this applies to all of the ability scores you enhance in this way.

The assimilate psionic power gives you a typeless +4.

Consumptive field and its greater version both stack, and they apply effectively unlimited +Str, as they are not limited to your caster level like the caster level boosts are. Persist them and hire warlocks to summon swarms of Fine-sized spiders into your greater consumptive field so you can get +20,000 Str each time (as Fine spiders have ~1 hp each, I think).

Persist the following spells: bite of the werebear, Transfusion (Dragon #339), and Greater Visage of the Deity. They all stack.

Zancloufer
2017-12-24, 10:13 PM
I want to be able to pick up a planet. 240 str is what you need to pick up an earth sized planet. How can you do this raw?

Actually you are WAY off.

Earth Weighs 5.972 × 10^24 kg (well has a mass of but D&D doesn't differentiate between weight and mass) and even with Colossal size and 249 str you can only lift over head 4.6 x 10^17. If you want to be able to pick up the planet you need 369 str with colossal size, or 389 for it to be under a light load. If you want to do that as a medium creature you need a good 20-30 more str than that even.

Anyway unless you have some stupid stacking carrying capacity multipliers OR want infinite loops it's not happening pre-epic.

Calthropstu
2017-12-24, 11:18 PM
Ummm.

Please note the pathfinder tag...

Also yes... math was off. For some reason I thought it was *10 instead of *4. So the 360ish is correct. The ant haul spell lowers it a bit, but not much.

2017-12-24, 11:32 PM
Ummm.

Also yes... math was off. For some reason I thought it was *10 instead of *4. So the 360ish is correct. The ant haul spell lowers it a bit, but not much.

There's no PF tag on this page. I mean, I kinda assumed it's what you wanted, but I also felt that if you'd wanted PF, you would've specified as such to prevent this exact situation.

EDIT: It's at least clarified in the OP now, which is good. You could also edit the OP to add the tag to the thread title.

grarrrg
2017-12-24, 11:35 PM
Ummm.

Probably not happening Pathfinder only. Unless you find some really broken third party nonsense.

2017-12-24, 11:38 PM
Probably not happening Pathfinder only. Unless you find some really broken third party nonsense.

Yeah, basically this. There might be some Mythic nonsense that can help you, but even in 3.5 this largely involves things like self-stacking Festering Anger or Consumptive Field until you reach the desired Str level. I think the most Str I've gotten on a PF character was something like 60 for a gestalt Barbarian//Alchemist with Rage Chymist in the mix for an Incredible Hulk build.

EDIT: I'll go look into mythic nonsense, see what I find. :smalltongue:

2017-12-25, 02:25 AM
Dang, so far I've only managed to reach 2717908992000 lbs dragged under favorable conditions, and that's with a custom 40-point race on a 6-stalt 20 build that's breaking half a dozen rules just for the hell of it. I don't think this can be done in PF.

EDIT: Friend has pointed out some new stuff I could throw in, and found some useful Mythic stuff. But even then, still blatantly breaking rules, I'm looking at 4.5x normal carrying capacity on top of being a Colossal+3 quadruped with effective Str 187 for CC purposes. Assuming conditions are favorable to dragging, I can get 38592858134937600 lbs.

3.86 x 10^16 is nice, but it's still nowhere near the 1.3166 x 10^25 I need.

Gruftzwerg
2017-12-25, 02:39 AM
Also Pathfinder.

Or you could just do a handstand.

Sry, I couldn't hold myself^^, but I am curious:
Why would you do that and how? I mean, on what do you intend to stay when you are picking up the planet? Or is there an interstellar collusion of 2 planets (or comet/astereoid/whatsoever) in your campaign??^^

Florian
2017-12-25, 02:44 AM
The maximum STR I could wiggle out of PF so far was around 90 with a Mythic Barbarian during rage and pre-nerf Courageous weapon (came along with a 60 CON score, too).

jmax
2017-12-26, 09:56 AM
The lifting of a planet is perhaps most easily accomplished by picking a different planet. A potato-radius planet (https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1004/1004.1091.pdf) with the same density as Earth (which would NOT get you the same acceleration due to gravity at the average surface point, because Newtonian physics) has a mass of 1.848x1020 kg (4.074x1020 lbs) (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=density+of+earth+*+(4%2F3+*+pi+*+(200+km)%5E3)) .

(There is probably some controversy as to the use of the potato radius to define the smallest possible planet, but I don't know the details because I found the paper by searching for "smallest possible planet" rather than studying astrophysics.)

Of course this is only a reduction of 4 orders of magnitude, so you'll still need some pretty solid Strength to pull it off. But it reduces the necessary strength by a hair under 75 points (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=10+*+log+base+4+(mass+of+earth+%2F(density+of+e arth+*+(4%2F3+*+pi+*+(200+km)%5E3)))).

And with that I think I've satisfied my minimum nerd quota for the day :smallbiggrin:

Calthropstu
2017-12-26, 10:48 AM
Or you could just do a handstand.

Sry, I couldn't hold myself^^, but I am curious:
Why would you do that and how? I mean, on what do you intend to stay when you are picking up the planet? Or is there an interstellar collusion of 2 planets (or comet/astereoid/whatsoever) in your campaign??^^

A villian is threatening world destruction. He will essentially carry it into the sun. I want to see if that is doable within PF rules. Since I am dm I can make something to do it, but I would like it explained under rules.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-26, 12:20 PM
A villian is threatening world destruction. He will essentially carry it into the sun. I want to see if that is doable within PF rules. Since I am dm I can make something to do it, but I would like it explained under rules.I know of several ways to do it in 3.5, but not Pathfinder. At least, off-hand. I haven't really looked.

I mean, there's always this:

Rockburst (Shining South)
Evocation
Level: Druid 2, Cleric 3, Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half or Fortitude negates; see text
Spell Resistance: No

You cause a stone object, with volume of at least 8 cubic feet, to explode.

Rock shards fly outward from the detonation, and all creatures within the area of the spell take 1d4 points of damage plus 1 point per caster level (maximum +15).

A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

A magic stone object, or a nonmagic stone object in the possession of another creature, gets a Fortitude save to negate the effect.

Creatures cannot be affected by rockburst.

Jay R
2017-12-26, 04:40 PM
I want to be able to pick up a planet.

Off of what?

Note that Archimedes's solution implicitly asked the same question: "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world." But where is that place to stand?

The only idea I can come up with is this: Stand on your head, with a rock balanced on your feet. Push up into a handstand. You have now picked up a planet off of the rock.

I don't know what else "pick up a planet" could mean, unless the world your character is in has two planets touching each other.

Bucky
2017-12-27, 03:25 AM
I would assume the planet-carrier uses magical flight to move while holding the planet.

If they tried to carry it into the sun, they'd need some other optimization to make it all the way there in under a billion rounds.

jmax
2017-12-27, 07:27 AM
I know of several ways to do it in 3.5, but not Pathfinder. At least, off-hand. I haven't really looked.

I mean, there's always this:

Rockburst (Shining South)
Evocation
Level: Druid 2, Cleric 3, Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half or Fortitude negates; see text
Spell Resistance: No

You cause a stone object, with volume of at least 8 cubic feet, to explode.

Rock shards fly outward from the detonation, and all creatures within the area of the spell take 1d4 points of damage plus 1 point per caster level (maximum +15).

A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

A magic stone object, or a nonmagic stone object in the possession of another creature, gets a Fortitude save to negate the effect.

Creatures cannot be affected by rockburst.

(Note: For the scope of this post, I will be assuming that the planet you want to move is Earth.)

I would definitely grant the planet a saving throw as an attended item. Unless it's totally empty. Depending on your interpretation of attended item rules, it might get a saving throw for every creature on it. Also, to be super pedantic (which, for me, is a tautology :-P), only the crust is stone. The most prevalent material in Earth's composition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Chemical_composition) is iron.

On a more serious note - at least to the extent that the topic allows - one problem with using the carrying capacity rules is that they assume Earth-like gravity. If you're moving Earth, you're not working against Earth-like gravity but rather against its momentum orbiting the sun. You'd need a whole new set of rules - if you intend to consider real physics to that great a degree.

Also, in general, this excellent physics video (while not answering any specific questions for this thread) is applicable to this general concept: Which Way Is Down? by VSauce (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4xYacTu-E&feature=youtu.be)

ShurikVch
2017-12-27, 07:47 AM
Also Pathfinder.Wouldn't Incorporeal Subtype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/Creature-types/#TOC-Incorporeal-Subtype) + Amulet of Grasping Souls (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-grasping-souls/) way easier for it?
I mean - items of Incorporeal creatures are Incorporeal too, thus - have no weight...

Calthropstu
2017-12-27, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't Incorporeal Subtype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/Creature-types/#TOC-Incorporeal-Subtype) + Amulet of Grasping Souls (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-grasping-souls/) way easier for it?
I mean - items of Incorporeal creatures are Incorporeal too, thus - have no weight...

Actually, all that amulet does is allow incorporeal to interact with the physical. It even gives them a carrying capacity.

ShurikVch
2017-12-27, 05:11 PM
Actually, all that amulet does is allow incorporeal to interact with the physical. It even gives them a carrying capacity.One more time: items of Incorporeal creatures are Incorporeal too, thus - have no weight.
Carrying capacity is useless - with weightless load it wouldn't matter ever.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Calthropstu
2017-12-27, 06:01 PM
One more time: items of Incorporeal creatures are Incorporeal too, thus - have no weight.
Carrying capacity is useless - with weightless load it wouldn't matter ever.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Point to where it says items that incorporeal creatures take become incorporeal.

ShurikVch
2017-12-27, 06:40 PM
You are wrong. Point to where it says items that incorporeal creatures take become incorporeal.Because Ghosts (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/ghost/) are able walk through walls with all their items.
And since (AFAIK) there are absolutely no RAW for creating specialized "ghostly" equipment, those items should be ordinary equipment which turned Incorporeal when picked

MindTheGap97
2017-12-27, 06:51 PM
You are wrong. Point to where it says items that incorporeal creatures take become incorporeal.

"When an incorporeal creature wears the amulet, it can interact with it surroundings. Any item in its possession becomes incorporeal, allowing the incorporeal creature to take items and phase through objects with them. An incorporeal creature without a Strength score uses its Charisma score to determine how much it can carry."

emphasis added by me, I still don't think it works, but it technically says that it becomes incorporeal.

Calthropstu
2017-12-27, 07:21 PM
"When an incorporeal creature wears the amulet, it can interact with it surroundings. Any item in its possession becomes incorporeal, allowing the incorporeal creature to take items and phase through objects with them. An incorporeal creature without a Strength score uses its Charisma score to determine how much it can carry."

emphasis added by me, I still don't think it works, but it technically says that it becomes incorporeal.

Ok, but it does NOT say these now incorporeal items are weightless. In fact, it explicitely implies otherwise.

Although, if they DID grap the world, it would suddenly become incorporeal... which would likely have some interesting results.

MindTheGap97
2017-12-27, 07:47 PM
Ok, but it does NOT say these now incorporeal items are weightless. In fact, it explicitely implies otherwise.

Although, if they DID grap the world, it would suddenly become incorporeal... which would likely have some interesting results.

Yes, the fact that it gives you a carrying capacity seems to mean that they DO still have a weight, but you bring up a very interesting point indeed...

Necroticplague
2017-12-28, 02:41 AM
Ok, but it does NOT say these now incorporeal items are weightless.

It doesn't have to, because it's part of the definition of incorporeal.

Incorporeal creatures have no weight and do not set off traps that are triggered by weight.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-28, 03:23 PM
Wait? How on earth will he be able to pick the planet? That sounds like something Superman and Pun-Pun can do. :eek:

Calthropstu
2017-12-28, 03:37 PM
Wait? How on earth will he be able to pick the planet? That sounds like something Superman and Pun-Pun can do. :eek:

Exactly. I am basically creating an evil superman type that will be slowly flying the world into the sun. Someone notices and sends high level pcs to go investigate. It's someone with absurdley high strength who has essentially picked up the planet and is attempting to fly it into the sun. Thus far, all it has done is cut a day out of the earth's orbit but if it keeps going unhindered, it will ultimately spell disaster.

jmax
2017-12-29, 08:55 AM
It might be easier - and debatably more stylish - to use laser ablation to move the planet (https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/). Harnessing the full power output of a neighboring star (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere) would do the trick* if you can make a sufficiently tight beam to cover the distance.

It's probably not significantly more destructive than moving the planet closer to the sun at any significant speed. It might be a bit faster.

*Citations:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/ (500 TW * 7 billion people = 3.5x1024W to ablate the moon)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun (3.846x1024W output from the sun - presumably comparable to whatever star you use, and you could certainly go bigger with a blue giant)
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=mass+of+earth+%2F+mass+of+moon (1 Earth mass = 81.3 lunar masses)

Florian
2017-12-29, 09:08 AM
If we want to get physical about it, imagine what it means that the planet is stopped from orbiting sol for just one second. That's already pretty apocalyptic.

jmax
2017-12-29, 09:15 AM
If we want to get physical about it, imagine what it means that the planet is stopped from orbiting sol for just one second. That's already pretty apocalyptic.

Yep. You can do that by timing carefully when in the year you start your laser ablation. It would probably take a little time for the full deceleration to kick in though.

ShurikVch
2017-12-29, 10:08 AM
Although, if they DID grap the world, it would suddenly become incorporeal... which would likely have some interesting results.This part reminded me of Phantom Planet (http://dannyphantom.wikia.com/wiki/Phantom_Planet) plot :smallsmile:

If we want to get physical about it, imagine what it means that the planet is stopped from orbiting sol for just one second. That's already pretty apocalyptic.The final of The Man Who Could Work Miracles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Could_Work_Miracles_(story))... :smallwink:

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 12:26 AM
Exactly. I am basically creating an evil superman type that will be slowly flying the world into the sun. Someone notices and sends high level pcs to go investigate. It's someone with absurdley high strength who has essentially picked up the planet and is attempting to fly it into the sun. Thus far, all it has done is cut a day out of the earth's orbit but if it keeps going unhindered, it will ultimately spell disaster.

Wouldn't he be weak against magic? :confused:

Telonius
2017-12-30, 10:54 PM
Has Thor been statted out for Pathfinder? If not, I'm guessing the Deities and Demigods version would still be active - meaning his artifact belt (that doubles the wearer's strength) still exists.

Bartmanhomer
2017-12-30, 11:03 PM
Has Thor been statted out for Pathfinder? If not, I'm guessing the Deities and Demigods version would still be active - meaning his artifact belt (that doubles the wearer's strength) still exists.

I'm not sure about Thor in Pathfinder but I do know he have stats in Deities and Demigods book.

Calthropstu
2017-12-31, 02:55 AM
No true gods will ever get stats for PF. The closest they have is the fallen god Lucifer.