PDA

View Full Version : Ranger, use Solarbeam!

Orzel
2007-08-22, 01:19 AM
"Raaaaan"

The small green critter began to glow. His long ears fluttered about from some unseen wind.

Rapik knew this was bad and saw his time running out. "Jump kick him quickly"

"Bar bar bar!" The much larger creature charged into the smaller one and bashed it swiftly with its massive lower hooves.

But it was all for nothing

"Rian!"

"Rapik's Barbarian is unable to continue. The winner of this match is Lash from Waterdeep."

Beam of Nature

Prerequisites
Con 15, Wis 13, druid, ranger, scout, or plant type, 10 HD.

Benefit
You gain a special breath weapon. It is a 60 foot line and has a Reflex DC equal to 10 + 1/2 your HD + Con modifier for half damage.

This breath weapon deals 2d6 fire damage per HD to each creature with the aquatic, water, or earth subtype in the weapons area. All other creatures receives half damage and creatures or the fire or air subtype gain a +5 bonus to their saving throw.

The breath weapon is normally unavailable. You must take a full round action to meditate and make it available for 1d2 rounds. This provokes an attack of opportunity. If you take damage while meditating, you must make a Concentration check or your meditation fails. Once used, the breath weapon is once again unavailable. During sunny weather or under the effects on the daylight spell, you may meditate as a move action. During cloudy weather, underground, or under the effects on the darkness spell, you must take 2 full round actions to meditate.

Special

You must be able to speak to use this feat.

TK-Squared
2007-08-22, 04:17 AM
"You get power attack. We get a breath weapon that can deal 20d8 damage."

Collin152
2007-08-22, 05:50 PM
20d8 damage at range every two rounds? Can I get a whoop whoop!

martyboy74
2007-08-22, 06:07 PM
"Vena..er...Druidzilla! I choose you!"

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-22, 06:15 PM
Technically only 1d8/hd to any creature without the aquatic, water or earth subtype. Not to mention the charge time.

Collin152
2007-08-22, 06:17 PM
I believe I said, every two rounds.

blue_fenix
2007-08-22, 06:20 PM
This averages out to 10d8 a round against most enemies at 20th level. Even a dragonfire adept's standard breath weapon maxes out at 9d6, (18d6 with disincorporating breath of bahamut, but that's only every other round). Why is my ranger ever going to shoot a bow again after 12th level with this feat?

Behold_the_Void
2007-08-23, 09:31 AM
This averages out to 10d8 a round against most enemies at 20th level. Even a dragonfire adept's standard breath weapon maxes out at 9d6, (18d6 with disincorporating breath of bahamut, but that's only every other round). Why is my ranger ever going to shoot a bow again after 12th level with this feat?

Because you can do so much more damage with a full attack off a bow for two rounds instead of spending one round charging and the next firing a beam at people?

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-23, 09:49 AM
(18d6 with disincorporating breath of bahamut, but that's only every other round)

Fivefold Breath of Tiamat is better. 45d6 damage to any spot where all five breath weapons overlay.

Korias
2007-08-23, 10:48 AM
Fivefold Breath of Tiamat is better. 45d6 damage to any spot where all five breath weapons overlay.

... I'm not even going to ask how you can rack up that much damage.

As for the feat.... Any munckin that functions in outdoor enviroments is going to get this feat, Even if he has to take a level in Ranger just to get it.

Dorizzit
2007-08-23, 10:52 AM
Why Fire damage for a nature ray?

Artemician
2007-08-23, 10:53 AM
Well.. getting 45d6 actually isn't that hard. Fivefold Breath of Tiamat lets you use 5 breath weapons at the same time. A level 20 Dragonfire Adept has 9d6 Dragonfire Blast. Go figure.

blue_fenix
2007-08-23, 11:04 AM
Well.. getting 45d6 actually isn't that hard. Fivefold Breath of Tiamat lets you use 5 breath weapons at the same time. A level 20 Dragonfire Adept has 9d6 Dragonfire Blast. Go figure.

Note that it does require you to be evil. If you aren't you take damage every time you use the ability. And it's only allowed once per 2 rounds.

Indon
2007-08-23, 11:10 AM

Couldn't you use Fivefold Breath along with this to do 50d10? (100d10 vs. certain types)

Edit: Also, what if you use this against someone of the Aquatic subtype with innate vulnerability to fire already? Is it now 20d10x1.5?

psychoticbarber
2007-08-23, 11:10 AM
Why Fire damage for a nature ray?

I think it's supposed to represent the heat of the solar energy.

blue_fenix
2007-08-23, 11:19 AM
Couldn't you use Fivefold Breath along with this to do 50d10? (100d10 vs. certain types)

No, because Fivefold Breath specifically says that you breath 5 breath attacks simultaneously, one each of acid, sonic, fire, cold, and electric damage, each dealing Xd6 depending on your level, max 9d6 for 20th level.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-08-23, 12:05 PM
10d6 every round under a daylight spell... Jeez, take a level in wizard, wand of daylight, have fun.

BROKEN.

Orzel
2007-08-23, 02:15 PM
Lowered the dice to d6's and added the AoO. I forgot about the AoOs.

I've been using it for a while and all it gets my ranger/wizard is blinded, darknessed, fogged, or clouded after the first shot. Or stabbed.

reorith
2007-08-24, 12:27 AM
finally a way to make a ranger shoop da whoop.

but aren't feats usually extraordinary abilities?

Starsinger
2007-08-24, 04:11 AM
No, because Fivefold Breath specifically says that you breath 5 breath attacks simultaneously, one each of acid, sonic, fire, cold, and electric damage, each dealing Xd6 depending on your level, max 9d6 for 20th level.

Actually it's x6 Fire, xd6 cold, xd6 electricity, an 2xd6 acid, since you breathe the breath weapons of the five chromatic dragon, red, white, blue, black, and green, the latter two both have acid breath.

martyboy74
2007-08-24, 07:09 AM

Extrodinary abilities are ones that are physically possible in the real world. Exceptionally difficult to do, but possible. Do you see this one being physically possible short of replicating Archimedes's Death-Ray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%28season_3%29#Episode_46_.E2.80.94_.2 2Archimedes.27_Death_Ray.22)on your back?

Orzel
2007-08-24, 08:10 AM

Think of it as activating a solar powered wand that you swallowed.

Koji
2007-08-24, 08:26 AM
I think of it as a spell. A druid spell. An overpowered druid spell.

ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE

Triaxx
2007-08-27, 02:36 PM
When was the last time you saw a Druid Spell that wasn't overpowered?

Quellian-dyrae
2007-08-27, 03:08 PM
It is strong for a feat. I'd say, have them expend a spell to power it (would make it unavailable to scouts and most plants, unfortunately). Say it's a 10' line per spell level expended. At that point, you're basically getting a blaster spell that scales better than most (due to the lack of damage cap and incrementing save DC) but has a weak area and annoying casting time. Since there are feats that can give extra spells or spontaneous casting ability, you should be solid.

From a flavor perspective, I'm not quite sure about the extra damage vs. aquatic, water, and, particularly, earth. Bonus damage against undead (and fungi, I suppose) strikes me as more appropriate for a solar attack, maybe with a save penalty for creatures specifically affected by sunlight. Druids need more undead-squashing abilities anyway.

Triaxx
2007-08-27, 07:07 PM
Perhaps ban them from using Track for a period of 1d10 hours after using it? Make Track a prereq. That would let the Scout and Druid have it, but have to take a feat to get it.

Let plants ignore the feat requirement.