PDA

View Full Version : What is an appropriate characterisation for this character?

SangoProduction
2017-12-25, 10:28 AM
So, I was wanting to try the Pokemon Build I came up with a while ago.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?540134-Extra-Familiar-The-Menagerie-Warden

Problem is, yeah, I know the rough build path (basically druid, druid, then into druid), but I'm trying to figure out how this character thinks - what his motives are. I'm assuming it's a fairly generic D&D setting, with the whole Magical Medieval stuff that somehow has humans reigning on top.

My first thought was to make a copy of ash, and then adjust some things, since that's basically the core of the mechanical concept. But...that's not exactly inspirational material.

Kobold Esq
2017-12-25, 12:33 PM
Why someone adventures, what drives them, their hopes and fears, these can all be completely unrelated to their skills and what they are any good at. Two young lords who are far removed from the line of succession may both be adventuring to prove themselves and to carve out their own piece of the world to rule. That doesn't mean one can't have had a knack for the bow and an interest in hunting and tracking (ranger) while the other was interested in seeking knowledge and arcane might.

I think you when building the background of a character, you need to look at both the "why is this character pursuing this path skill/talent wise" as well as "why is this character pursuing this path plot/goal wise". These do not necessarily have to be related at all.

Maybe your guy just really enjoys the company of animals more than people. Maybe he discovered a natural talent and then nurtured it (similar to a sorcerer). Maybe he wants to show that he can exert his will over and dominate "lesser" creatures. Each of these is a wildly different character, personality wise.

SangoProduction
2017-12-25, 01:36 PM
OK. We have an Eberonian sort of setting, with airships and such, and are working for a Scholar's Guild. That's interesting. I'm already taking Urban Companion, and this seems like a campaign that will be focused around the city. So...Urban Druid just seems appropriate. (At least, fluff wise.)

Perhaps he truly worships the interpersonal bonds and structure that forms the glue of society, and sees his familiar-bonding as a manifestation of this worship. To bring the untamed nature in line, and uplift animals to work cohesively with society. Anything that disrupts law and order is to be feared - not cowered from, but respected for the damage it can do - and avoided/prevented whenever possible. Seems to be highly Lawful, and rather Good. Since Druids must have a neutral component, I think Lawful Neutral (with Good leanings) is the way to go.