PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help with story for a warforged in out of the abyss

lavatario
2017-12-25, 01:41 PM
Good evening community and Merry Christmas.

Im doing this thread because my DM authorised my to use a warforged in the campaing: Out of the abyss. Just if i have a very good story. But we are playing on forgotten realms. And the warforged are from eberron.

Im looking for some ideas. Thanks for reading

Avonar
2017-12-25, 01:51 PM
Out of the Abyss is a strange one. Unless the DM has told you how it starts, you can't really plan for why your character starts where they do. I would recommend making your backstory, and leaving any recent activity until you know how the campaign starts.

lavatario
2017-12-25, 01:54 PM
Out of the Abyss is a strange one. Unless the DM has told you how it starts, you can't really plan for why your character starts where they do. I would recommend making your backstory, and leaving any recent activity until you know how the campaign starts.

We have already started. We were prisioners in a cell with 7 others prisioners and we managed to escape and we travel for some days but my first character died. So i was looking to create this. Also i dont even know how to do the backstory of a warforged

Moredhel24
2017-12-25, 02:09 PM
Story in oota can be tricky cause you start out as slaves/prisoners to the drow. Also have you decided on a class and background. knowing those tends to give ideas. If you have access to xanathar's, checkout the various class, life event, and background tables.

Your character could of been created by the drow for manual labor or warfare to pad out the workforce/army. I imagine since daily life among the drow is chaotic and violent, life expectancy among males and other non elite is shorter vs females/the elite. You could of also been a dwarven or gnomish prototype captured in a raid.

Mjolnirbear
2017-12-25, 05:57 PM
You could be a wizards experiment, accidentally slipped through a planar tear, maybe you tangled with a living plane shift spell in the mournelands, or not even be from Eberron. There are magic items called docents in Xendrik that were created millenia before the warforged were, yet will only work for a warforged. Did the giants create warforged first, and Cannith simply found the plans? Did the plans come from Dal Quor?

When in doubt, a wizard did it

Cwyll
2017-12-25, 06:04 PM
just get a nice head injury and make your past a blur for now.
You and the DM (if you both want to) can then fill in bits and pieces as you go.
Tears in time and space, portals to other realms; all the usual stuff would work, but don't rush it and you'll get a much better mix in due course.

2 second brainstorm...
You might not be the only one that's come through; perhaps you can't actually recall being the villain previously (your CG was LE or so on).
The heroes of another party in another place/time defeated you and your allies with a planar shift. Your allies are spread through the underdark; but they KNOW they are here to rule over all.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-12-25, 06:20 PM
In our storm kings thunder we had our barbarian drop out, so our deep gnome wizard ran a second character: Drowslayer. It was a warforged moon druid the wizard crafted to protect his underground lair, who had wandered back to his master. Yes, it was a transformer. From my experience any backstory after the first minute to explain is head canon for the player BC most other players are more interested in their character than yours.

lavatario
2017-12-25, 06:37 PM
You could be a wizards experiment, accidentally slipped through a planar tear, maybe you tangled with a living plane shift spell in the mournelands, or not even be from Eberron. There are magic items called docents in Xendrik that were created millenia before the warforged were, yet will only work for a warforged. Did the giants create warforged first, and Cannith simply found the plans? Did the plans come from Dal Quor?

When in doubt, a wizard did it

I think im gonna use one of your ideas. But i wanted to thank everybody for his ideas. You are still free for commenting

Naanomi
2017-12-26, 11:03 AM
You'll have to decide if you want to be a 'real' warforged from Eberron (in which case you have to figure out how you got out of your cosmology and to the Great Wheel and ultimately Toril... it is a long trip)... or just an 'equivalent' creature using the same stats. If the latter, there is a ton of magical history on Faerun (Halruaa most prominently, but older stuff as well) that could have made a construct servitor race that still has some members bumping around, recently activated, etc.

Arkhios
2017-12-27, 12:32 PM
Actually, Forgotten Realms is notorious because it actually has brought creatures and cultures from other worlds into its own. Mulhorand for example not only resembles Ancient Egypt but The Mulhorandi actually were brought to Toril from Earth by the Imaskar Empire looking for some manpower.

And that's not the only one. There are many others, and it's entirely possible that someone might have brought Warforged from Eberron to Toril either on purpose or by accident.

Maybe the last memories of your warforged character predate the Explosion of Cyre.

Naanomi
2017-12-27, 01:23 PM
Faerun is easy to access... it is Ebberon that is hard! It doesn’t even likely exist in the Great Wheel... which doesn’t make it inaccessible, but does make the trip pretty extraordinary

Regitnui
2017-12-27, 02:13 PM
A warforged can really stand in for any sort of construct. You could be a person whose soul was forced into a golem by an arcane accident, like that Elric brother. That's what I'd go for.

Faerun is easy to access... it is Eberron that is hard! It doesn’t even likely exist in the Great Wheel... which doesn’t make it inaccessible, but does make the trip pretty extraordinary

One 'B' two 'R's, Naanomi.

As far as we know, the only overlap between Eberron's planar structure and Faerun's is the Astral/Ethereal planes, depending on which you think touches different Material Planes. My personal view is that there are no direct portals into Eberron from any other setting. Instead, planar travellers and portals end up on Syrania, a plane where it's impossible to fight. The will of the Primordial Dragons locks off Eberron normally, so you don't see Darklords from Eberron in Ravenloft, despite there being a couple of prime candidates.

Of course, Mike Mearls is free to ram Eberron's unique and interesting planar structure into an uncomfortable place so he can keep using his FR setting knowledge to write adventures...