PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Shield Sling with Bucklers?

Goaty14
2017-12-25, 03:24 PM
Ok so I was looking around for a shield build, and I found the Shield Sling (PHBII, pg 82) feat which allows you to throw your shield, dealing damage and allowing for a trip attempt until I saw the following:

You can throw a buckler, but it does no damage, and you cannot use it to trip an opponent
So what is the point of throwing a buckler? You basically get the ability to drain a standard action to do essentially nothing, If you didn't want to be holding it, you can drop it as a free action. What is the point of letting me throw a buckler? Frisbee in D&D??? (Seriously, what to do with throwing your buckler).

Inevitability
2017-12-25, 03:40 PM
It is, if nothing else, better at moving bucklers than throwing them as improvised weapons is. If you want to get it to a distant ally, it's better than nothing.

Also, a buckler made out of hizagkur (MoF, page 179) could arguably deal a few points of energy damage. Perhaps combine it with sneak attack to deal large amounts of fire/electricity damage?

Bucky
2017-12-25, 03:45 PM
You can donk a caster with it to try to interrupt their Concentration. The DC isn't specified but is probably 10.

Fizban
2017-12-26, 02:18 AM
Even better: if you actually do some research on how big a buckler is, they're like a foot across. Whoever wrote them for 3.5 seems to have confused a buckler with an armguard.