PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Niche fill with Weapon Master at start idea?

ZorroGames
2017-12-25, 05:41 PM
No intent to optimize PCs. No MC involved but Rogue Scout variant Human filling odd weapon niches with Weapon Master feat at starting level.

Specifically, 4 out of the 5 weapons below to make rogue slightly more martial or finesse rogue-y:

Former - Sneak attack with Longbow, Heavy CB, or poison (good rogues can use a sleeping agent?) treated blowgun needles; latter - scimitar and whip for melee weapons (mostly flavor for such as “Aladdin type thieves” and moving foes.)

Just for flavor and fun, doable?

Which should I leave out?

Tanarii
2017-12-25, 06:22 PM
Definitely want Whip for reach, and scimitar for magic items. Blowgun is great if you're in the kind of campaign where you need a concealable / disguisable weapon. Personally I'd go with Heavy Crossbow over Longbow because it's more damage per shot, and because there's less contention with other party members for magic Longbows.

Unoriginal
2017-12-25, 06:53 PM
A good rogue can use poison, yes.

For the rest, I'm not quite sure what's your goal. To look cool in general, or do you have something specific in mind?

ZorroGames
2017-12-25, 07:02 PM
A good rogue can use poison, yes.

For the rest, I'm not quite sure what's your goal. To look cool in general, or do you have something specific in mind?

To have a ranged sneak attack weapon better then shortbow, in part. Longbow or Hv.CB both fit that role.

And +1 DE boost from the feat.

Whip for control and scimitar to add the “last” finesse melee weapon.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-25, 10:46 PM
Seems like a decent choice, especially if you've got an odd Dex score. Not a lot of good options to boost that. Whips and heavy crossbows (no need for a longbow without Extra Attack) both offer nice options for a Rogue.