PDA

View Full Version : Initiatior theurge class?

GrayDeath
2017-12-25, 06:07 PM
Just as the title says, is.there one?
Especially I am looking for a non gestalt way to combine Initiating with Invocations, either Warlock or Dragonfire Adept.

Did not find anything yet, so before I start brewing I.thought I'd ask...

Forrestfire
2017-12-25, 06:12 PM
There are two; Jade Phoenix Mage and Ruby Knight Vindicator. However, JPM, the arcane one, requires prerequisites that warlocks can't natively meet. Luckily, we can spoof the prerequisites with one of the following methods:

The web version of Precocious Apprentice (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041114a) will qualify you for the JPM's casting prerequisite, allowing you to enter, then progress warlock with the class.
The Complete Arcane version of Precocious Apprentice has different wording, and so, you'd need the Magical Training feat (PGtF) to qualify and enter JPM.
The Magical Training feat itself, when combined with some method of heightening your cantrips to 2nd-level, could work (Sanctum Spell+Earth Spell, perhaps), though it's more expensive than the other ways.

I would talk to your DM about whether or not they're okay with using this sort of entry method. It doesn't grant you "early entry" like it might into some prestige classes—the Jade Phoenix Mage's prerequisite of 9 Concentration ranks stops that—and it's objectively going to be a weaker character than if you entered using an actual arcane spellcaster, so I would hope they do. However, some people don't like using weird rules interactions in this way, so it's heavily group-dependent.

GrayDeath
2017-12-26, 01:00 PM
I know them, yet their fluff and crunch are very much tied up to arcane or divine.
Also they are both really specific.

Was there ever a more general one, I mean more akin to the mystic the urge for warlock Initiators?

I have ToB, but other sources might exist, no?

Nifft
2017-12-26, 01:57 PM
There was a cool build I once saw which did Warlock 6 -> Swordsage X -> Shadowpounce 4 -> Jade Phoenix Mage (qualified for JPM using Shadowpounce casting, but advanced Warlock with JPM levels).

In addition to JPM Warlock, this build could spam Shadowpounce (thanks to Flee the Scene at-will) and also nova with the Move-action and Swift-action Shadow Hand teleport powers.

I forget if it was a Claw-lock or a Glaive-lock.

Forrestfire
2017-12-27, 01:25 AM
I know them, yet their fluff and crunch are very much tied up to arcane or divine.
Also they are both really specific.

Was there ever a more general one, I mean more akin to the mystic the urge for warlock Initiators?

I have ToB, but other sources might exist, no?

Outside of third-party and homebrew, no. The Tome of Battle came very late in 3.5's run, as a sort of proto-4e testbed. It was not supported in later books.

GrayDeath
2017-12-27, 07:11 AM
What third party class would that have been?

If it's out to my liking, homebrewing a t3 the urge is no problem, but I usually first look for existing ways.