PDA

View Full Version : Interesting crafting idea

Crow_Nightfeath
2017-12-25, 09:29 PM
So, I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks and done as much research as I can, and can't seem to find an answer.

So let's say you have a group of 10 artificers of let's say level 10. They all want to build 1 Item, now the rules say that a person can do 1000 gp of magic item crafting a day (there are several ways to increase that but we're not focusing on that right now), so if all 10 of them work on one item, do they do only 1000 gp of work or 10,000 gp of work. (Supposing they all make their checks)

Venger
2017-12-26, 02:56 AM
you can't reduce the time it takes to make an item by getting more guys to build it for you. if it did, we'd all just use hirelings to make everything instantly.

unseenmage
2017-12-26, 04:55 AM
You can in Pathfinder but that requires a permissive reading of a specific ability. IIRC it is called Cooperative Crafting.

Each character only gets a single allotment of magic item crafting time.
The usual method for circumventing this is the Dedicated Wright Homunculus from Eberron. Some GMs allow multiple Dedicated Wrights to 'stack' however in the DWright's text is explained that the wright can use its master's magic item crafting time.
At no point does the DWright generate more magic item crafting time for its master.

Venger
2017-12-26, 05:05 AM
You can in Pathfinder but that requires a permissive reading of a specific ability. IIRC it is called Cooperative Crafting.

Each character only gets a single allotment of magic item crafting time.
The usual method for circumventing this is the Dedicated Wright Homunculus from Eberron. Some GMs allow multiple Dedicated Wrights to 'stack' however in the DWright's text is explained that the wright can use its master's magic item crafting time.
At no point does the DWright generate more magic item crafting time for its master.

I'm sure that's true, but the thread was not tagged pathfinder, so I assumed it was referring to 3.5, as is standard.

unseenmage
2017-12-26, 05:16 AM
I'm sure that's true, but the thread was not tagged pathfinder, so I assumed it was referring to 3.5, as is standard.

Of course. Didn't mean to imply your answer was wrong. I was just trying to present an option that does what the OP was after.

Back when I played my first Artificer utilizing PF options helped immensely.

Jay R
2017-12-26, 04:55 PM
Ask your DM.

If I were the DM, I would point out that nine women cannot make a baby in a month, but they can make nine babies in nine months.

Each item takes the time it takes, but the ten of them could work on ten different items (if, for instance, they each had an important skill needed for the items.)

So it takes just as long, but they could end up with as many as ten items.

I might perhaps allow an entire village to streamline the process as an assembly line, but that wouldn't work without a dedicated factory-equivalent, and people who work it day in and day out.

But that's my approach. Ask your DM.

Crow_Nightfeath
2017-12-27, 04:06 AM
Yeah, my main thinking behind it was golems and airships. But they're treated no different for crafting than any other magic item. So it doesn't help with magic item crafting. How about mundane?

unseenmage
2017-12-27, 04:56 AM
Mundane crafting has none of the arbitrary time restrictions that magical crafting does but it does take a heckuva long time to accomplish.

Jack_Simth
2017-12-27, 09:29 AM
Yeah, my main thinking behind it was golems and airships. But they're treated no different for crafting than any other magic item. So it doesn't help with magic item crafting. How about mundane?

Mundane crafting time is based on skill checks. Aid Another is a thing, so as long as you could reasonably have that many helpers doing useful work on whatever-it-is, each person quickens things... but it's not basic division.

Progress made is Difficulty * Check result in SP/week. If you have a +0 mod yourself and take ten, for a 100 GP item with a DC of 10, you get exactly 10 and you make 100 SP (10 GP) in progress per week, and will be done in ten weeks.

With five helpers each making a DC 10 check for Aid Another, you have a +10 bonus. At the same DC and skill ranks, taking ten, you're getting 10 * 20 SP (20 GP) in progress per week, and will be done in five weeks.

If you voluntarily increase the DC by 10 to work quickly (otherwise same as prior), then you'll be getting 20 * 20 SP (=400 SP = 40 GP) done per week, and will be done in 2.5 weeks. Five helpers thus reduced your time by a factor of four in that exact scenario.

Fizban
2017-12-27, 09:45 AM
As for airships, Explorer's Handbook has a bunch of details about elemental binding and dragonshards and whatnot that could be done by different people simultaneously, but IIRC it then just makes you craft the rest as normal. I find it pretty amusing how they give all this fluff of teams of mages and in the end still don't actually use any team mechanics.

There are airships in Arms and Equipment Guide that don't use magic item rules, and thus presumably must use mundane crafting rules. Though normal ships from Stormwrack are given their own rules in Profession: Shipwright.

You can have as many people throwing Aid Another as the DM will let you, and the +10 DC rule was originally printed in the Epic Level Handbook, where you could add any multiple of +10. So with that rule you can increase the DC by an arbitrary number as long as you have 5x as many helpers as the increase you're planning, if your item is made with the craft formula.