PDA

View Full Version : Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

137beth
2017-12-25, 11:40 PM
Welcome to the fifth thread discussing Darths and Droids (http://darthsanddroids.net/)!

With Episode VI completed, we are doing another prequel. Please keep spoilers for Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi in spoiler boxes.

Previous Threads:
Darths and Droids (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61814) (November 1, 2007 - June 16, 2011)
Darths and Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203358) (June 16, 2011 - September 9, 2012)
Darths and Droids III: Search Your DNA Report (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255259-Darths-and-Droids-III-Search-Your-DNA-Report) (September 9, 2012-June 26, 2015)
Darths and Droids V: Thread IV Was Eaten By Dogs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424164-Darths-and-Droids-V-Thread-IV-Was-Eaten-By-Dogs) (June 26, 2015-December 25, 2017)

Rogar Demonblud
2017-12-26, 11:12 AM
Eleventh!

What? I'm not in numerical order.

137beth
2017-12-26, 11:21 AM
Keybounce's prediction about an OOTS link being inserted was correct!

Keltest
2017-12-26, 11:32 AM
You know, I have to wonder if Pete isn't just making things up to be contrary. Pebbles exist in space too. In fact, id think youre more likely to run into a pebble in space than you would in an atmosphere.

Kantaki
2017-12-26, 12:37 PM
You know, I have to wonder if Pete isn't just making things up to be contrary. Pebbles exist in space too. In fact, id think youre more likely to run into a pebble in space than you would in an atmosphere.

Not when you're right in the middle of a cataclysmic eruption caused by a new superweapon.
In that particular (entirely hypothetical of course) situation Pete's concern would be entirely valid.

Keltest
2017-12-26, 01:16 PM
Not when you're right in the middle of a cataclysmic eruption caused by a new superweapon.
In that particular (entirely hypothetical of course) situation Pete's concern would be entirely valid.

My point was more along the lines of, if the concern is smashing into some random debris or other and getting torn apart, that sort of thing would happen far more often in space than in atmosphere, and so it should be taken into account when designing the hyperdrive. If a pebble is that big of a threat, the concern should be theyre on the edge of an explosion, not because theyre in atmosphere, where pebbles are not normally known to fly.

Kantaki
2017-12-26, 02:12 PM
My point was more along the lines of, if the concern is smashing into some random debris or other and getting torn apart, that sort of thing would happen far more often in space than in atmosphere, and so it should be taken into account when designing the hyperdrive. If a pebble is that big of a threat, the concern should be theyre on the edge of an explosion, not because theyre in atmosphere, where pebbles are not normally known to fly.

What is a planet if not a huge pebble floating inside the atmosphere*?
And depending on how inept your pilot is there's a very real chance of smashing into it.:smalltongue:

*Or outside it in some cases.

Keltest
2017-12-26, 08:54 PM
What is a planet if not a huge pebble floating inside the atmosphere*?
And depending on how inept your pilot is there's a very real chance of smashing into it.:smalltongue:

*Or outside it in some cases.

That's sort of like asking "what is ice if not really solid steam?" It may be the best kind of correct, but is also a fairly useless distinction that doesn't really mean anything.

Benthesquid
2017-12-28, 11:41 PM
It's worth noting that the danger of running into a pebble is only mentioned as existing when accelerating into hyperspace. So you only need to make sure that the area immediately in front of you, for as far as it takes to accelerate into hyperspace is clear, which I suppose might be easier in space as opposed to in the neighborhood of a massive explosion throwing all sorts of debris and particulates into the atmosphere.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-12-31, 03:20 PM
"Let's go raid the weapons lab, because they've got the good stuff!"

Gods, the number of times I've heard that in a campaign. It never ends well for the players. Experimental stuff is still experimental for a reason.

Kantaki
2017-12-31, 05:50 PM
"Let's go raid the weapons lab, because they've got the good stuff!"

Gods, the number of times I've heard that in a campaign. It never ends well for the players. Experimental stuff is still experimental for a reason.

In real life sure.
But in fiction land?

Everyone knows that the untested prototype is always vastly superior to the mass-produced model.

DataNinja
2017-12-31, 10:30 PM
In real life sure.
But in fiction land?

Everyone knows that the untested prototype is always vastly superior to the mass-produced model.

Well, duh. The mass-produced models have to have safeties, and limiters, and all that junk that gets in the way of true potential. All in the name of reducing the risk of blowing yourself up. :smallbiggrin:

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-01, 01:06 AM
Let's not forget that the production models also have spare parts and ammo available.

Kantaki
2018-01-01, 07:51 AM
Well, duh. The mass-produced models have to have safeties, and limiters, and all that junk that gets in the way of true potential. All in the name of reducing the risk of blowing yourself up. :smallbiggrin:

Which is why the prototype is given to a protagonist PC.:smalltongue:
Because they're the only ones stupid err... lucky enough to use it.:smallbiggrin:
That and it's less of a loss when things do go wrong.:smallamused:

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-02, 09:46 AM
Wow, now that's some continuity. Hollywood can't keep continuity with their A-list characters, but the Irregulars can do it with a Q-list background extra.

AdmiralCheez
2018-01-02, 10:37 AM
Oh, wow. That callback is impressive. Link (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0771.html) if anyone is intersted.

YangerDanger
2018-01-05, 07:50 PM
Noooooooon!:smallsmile:

Interesting seeing Tarkin protrayed as peace lover.

deuterio12
2018-01-05, 09:03 PM

And other times prototypes are actually made with superior stats and extra perks to impress the higher ups and because you can sink all your budget in a few models. You can afford to personally tune every one of them. Plus you really don't want your prototype to blow up in front of the review panel.

However when it comes time for mass-production, you end up cutting corners and extras all around to make it as cheap as possible while production will be left to some soulless factories. And by then X% of them blowing up is acceptable whitin the margins of error.:smalltongue:

Douglas
2018-01-05, 11:39 PM
Yes, you don't want the experimental stuff. You want the stuff that's between experimental and mass production - the demonstration prototype. All the kinks worked out, but none of the cost cutting applied yet.

DataNinja
2018-01-06, 12:26 AM
Yes, you don't want the experimental stuff. You want the stuff that's between experimental and mass production - the demonstration prototype. All the kinks worked out, but none of the cost cutting applied yet.

That's the stuff the GM uses when the players get too uppity about their experimental version they worked so hard to steal. :smalltongue:

runeghost
2018-01-06, 02:01 AM

No, no, no. You don't want the BFGs, experimental or otherwise. If you get one, the other Troubleshooters will consider you potential trouble, and shoot you as soon as the opportunity presents itself. What you want, is to be the multicorder operator. It gives you the perfect excuse to hang back "so you can get a good recording of everything". Of course, you need to discreetly make certain that your fellow Troubleshooters know that you are less than perfectly adept at using the multicorder, and so there may be unavoidable glitches or black spots in mission recordings.

Doubtless due to the nefarious sabotage of Commie Mutant Traitors. No, of course I didn't mean that the Computer allowed Commie Mutant Traitors into a position to damage vital equipment like the mission multicorder. Perhaps I had better turn it off and make certain it's in proper working order. There, that's better. What happened to Cind-R? I have no idea, I was busy confirming the multicorder hadn't been tampered with. Now, let me explain the heroic actions of Nut-R and Mooch-R as I record the aftermath of their valiant laser battle in defense of vital mission priorities, as assigned by the ever-wise and all-knowing Computer. Yes, Kill-R's experimental weapon malfunctioned and shot him in the back of the head. You can see the smoking remains of the weapon and the hole in the back of his head right here as proof.

keybounce
2018-01-07, 01:47 AM
In my experience, the multi-corder operator is more likely to be the accidental target of troubleshooter action.If there is no multi-corder record, the computer has to trust the reports given by the surviving living troubleshooters.

Keltest
2018-01-07, 08:42 AM
In my experience, the multi-corder operator is more likely to be the accidental target of troubleshooter action.If there is no multi-corder record, the computer has to trust the reports given by the surviving living troubleshooters.

As opposed to the surviving deceased troubleshooters?

Morquard
2018-01-07, 06:22 PM
They're in a ship in hyperspace. If they (and the GM) were really serious about getting the new PC in, it would have been easy with a "You mean you want to go to the research lab, but realize you're low on fuel. Oh look, there's a rebel controlled world nearby where you can resupply."

DataNinja
2018-01-07, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind, this is a Jim PC. Look at how well the last 'well-developed' one just turned out. The GM probably wants them to have someone who can contribute. :smalltongue:

Morquard
2018-01-07, 06:56 PM
Good point...

Since we know it's going to be Bail Organa, he probably had some "Is a loyal servant of his people and would never abandon them" or other nonsense in there...

Kantaki
2018-01-07, 07:19 PM
Noooooooon!:smallsmile:

Interesting seeing Tarkin protrayed as peace lover.

Well, it's (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0773.html) consistent (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0772.html).

Also, foreshadowing (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0773.html).:smalleek::smallamused:

Morquard
2018-01-08, 08:02 PM
Good point...

Since we know it's going to be Bail Organa, he probably had some "Is a loyal servant of his people and would never abandon them" or other nonsense in there...

I just realized that might actually be wrong... we know Jim plays Bail after Bria and then Captain Antilles at the beginning of Episode 4... but at least Bail again is another established NPC. So it's possible he once again took that one over when Bria died, and then Antilles after that.

Greedo might be the one he's mentioning here...

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-08, 11:42 PM
If I'm remembering the Ep IV arc right, he didn't start writing Greedo until after Antilles bought it.

Morquard
2018-01-09, 05:41 AM
Hmm, you could be right, he was sitting out an entire session or two to get his character done.

Yana
2018-01-09, 06:13 AM
Aurilee, Chirrut originally introduced himself as a "Jedha monk". Since the Peace Moon happened to Jedha... I suppose he switched to "monk at large".

The Glyphstone
2018-01-09, 10:31 AM
Aurilee, Chirrut originally introduced himself as a "Jedha monk". Since the Peace Moon happened to Jedha... I suppose he switched to "monk at large".

That just means he will be...

The Last Jedha.

Yana
2018-01-09, 11:08 AM

With respect, Glyphstone, go sit in a corner and think about what you've just done. :smallsigh:

137beth
2018-01-09, 11:10 AM
That just means he will be...

The Last Jedha.

It's time for the Jedha to end.

Does that mean he has to train Bria to become a Jedha?

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-10, 12:13 AM
Ben? No dessert for you tonight.

Keltest
2018-01-10, 10:44 AM
Er, that's "I defected" as in "I switched sides", Keybounce, not "defective" as in "not working correctly."

Kantaki
2018-01-10, 11:01 AM
That look...:smallbiggrin:
Bodi's definitely regretting he came aboard instead off staying behind in that massive explosion.

keybounce
2018-01-10, 01:18 PM
Er, that's "I defected" as in "I switched sides", Keybounce, not "defective" as in "not working correctly."

Hee hee. I know, but defect, defect.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-21, 05:20 PM
I'm going to go with the commentators here. Letting the homicidal droid drive was a bad idea.

Keltest
2018-01-21, 05:24 PM
I'm going to go with the commentators here. Letting the homicidal droid drive was a bad idea.

You say let as though they could stop her.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-21, 05:46 PM
There's a reason droids should have restraining bolts built into their circuitry. Actually, there are lots of reasons.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-27, 01:30 PM
Hey keybounce, did you know how the Germans found partisans in WWII? They waited until the band had made 6 or 8 raids and then just drew lines across the map to connect the points (12 to 6 o'clock, 2 to 8 o'clock, etc). Where the lines crossed was the base.

It's really easy to get people to tell you where they live.

Rockphed
2018-01-29, 03:26 PM
Hey keybounce, did you know how the Germans found partisans in WWII? They waited until the band had made 6 or 8 raids and then just drew lines across the map to connect the points (12 to 6 o'clock, 2 to 8 o'clock, etc). Where the lines crossed was the base.

It's really easy to get people to tell you where they live.

This only works if the raiders are operating in a circle around their base. If they are based off of a highway and are making raids along the highway, then all your lines end up going along the highway. However, knowing this strategy, I would plan my raids so the center was the residence of the local occupiers.

137beth
2018-01-30, 12:53 PM
So, does anyone know
why they changed Jyn's name to Bria? Like, I get that they changed Saw to Kyle because they wanted to be consistent with what they had previously said had been Jim's character, which itself was based on the EU that is no longer canon. Was Bria another Legends character that they mentioned and I forgot about? Or did they just decide to change her name for no apparent reason (or for a reason we haven't gotten to yet)?

Thufir
2018-01-30, 01:05 PM
So, does anyone know
why they changed Jyn's name to Bria? Like, I get that they changed Saw to Kyle because they wanted to be consistent with what they had previously said had been Jim's character, which itself was based on the EU that is no longer canon. Was Bria another Legends character that they mentioned and I forgot about? Or did they just decide to change her name for no apparent reason (or for a reason we haven't gotten to yet)?

Bria Tharen was also named as one of Jim's characters.

Keltest
2018-01-30, 01:07 PM
So, does anyone know

Yes, Bria was another Legends character. A love interest of Han Solo who died before ANH. I cant remember if they name dropped her in D&D as one of Jim's characters or not though.

SirKazum
2018-01-30, 03:13 PM
Yes, Bria was another Legends character. A love interest of Han Solo who died before ANH. I cant remember if they name dropped her in D&D as one of Jim's characters or not though.

They did, in fact. (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0679.html)

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-30, 09:34 PM
Technically I don't need to spoiler this, since everything EU has been de-canonized and tossed into an industrial wood chipper, but better safe than sorry.

Bria Tharen is the primary female character from The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin. Han rescues her from slavery in a drug lab, loses her because he's too poor for a rich girl like her, regains her when she hires him to help raid her former captors but loses her again because the Rebels betray everybody who helped them.* With everyone else treating Han as poison because he vouched for Bria, he's forced to work for Jabba to pay the bills, leading to the Kessel Run and dumping the cargo of drugs. Bria meanwhile leads a raid on Toprawa to steal the Death Star plans**, which gets the plans but gets everyone killed (including her). A surprising messenger brings Han the news just after Jabba handed him a bill for the cargo (at multiples of the price) and a running interest rate that makes loan sharks look like pikers. Han decides he needs a stiff drink, and heads to a certain bar...

*Note that this is the explanation for Lando's line about 'having a lot of nerve after what you pulled'.

**Also a reference to an adventure for West End Games D6 Star Wars on the subject. Anyone who survived to the end was personally executed by Darth Vader in GOD MODE.

Aquillion
2018-01-30, 10:08 PM
Technically I don't need to spoiler this, since everything EU has been de-canonized and tossed into an industrial wood chipper, but better safe than sorry.

Bria meanwhile leads a raid on Toprawa to steal the Death Star plans**, which gets the plans but gets everyone killed (including her).I wonder if there's some sort of list somewhere of every time in the EU / Legends / current canon that the story of the Death Star plans getting stolen has been told? The Wookiepedia Legends article on the plans is somewhat useless because it's explicitly written from the perspective of trying to unify all the conflicting versions rather than trying to document the numerous conflicts.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-01-30, 10:35 PM
In the EU, the Bothans grabbed the plans for the DS2 in Shadows of the Empire. The third book of the HS Tril dealt with events feeding direct into Ep IV (and is itself consistent with the game). And one of the anthologies had a story about somebody trying to sabotage spare parts for the DS2 superlaser array. As far as I recall, that's about it, and I read everything back in the day.

For anything since the PT hit, you'd need to find another geek.

Douglas
2018-01-30, 11:07 PM
In the EU, the Bothans grabbed the plans for the DS2 in Shadows of the Empire.
From what I remember about that, it felt like a rather cheap way to explain the "many Bothans died to bring us this information" line. There's a space battle, a squadron of Bothans in starfighters is involved, and a missile unceremoniously blows them all up. No valiant heroics, or extraordinary risks taken for an important cause, and certainly not the long chain of such things that line gave me the impression of, just one battle they didn't expect to be all that serious and one unexpectedly powerful missile.

**Also a reference to an adventure for West End Games D6 Star Wars on the subject. Anyone who survived to the end was personally executed by Darth Vader in GOD MODE.
I'd be tempted to complain about railroading, but "it took frikkin' Darth Vader to kill my character" is a pretty badass boast for Star Wars.

Aquillion
2018-01-31, 02:46 AM
In the EU, the Bothans grabbed the plans for the DS2 in Shadows of the Empire. The third book of the HS Tril dealt with events feeding direct into Ep IV (and is itself consistent with the game). And one of the anthologies had a story about somebody trying to sabotage spare parts for the DS2 superlaser array. As far as I recall, that's about it, and I read everything back in the day.

For anything since the PT hit, you'd need to find another geek.Where does Kyle Katarn figure into this? He was canonical, I think, at least prior to everything getting rebooted, and he stole the Death Star plans in the first Dark Forces game.

keybounce
2018-01-31, 03:35 AM
I wonder if there's some sort of list somewhere of every time in the EU / Legends / current canon that the story of the Death Star plans getting stolen has been told? The Wookiepedia Legends article on the plans is somewhat useless because it's explicitly written from the perspective of trying to unify all the conflicting versions rather than trying to document the numerous conflicts.

Be sure the list includes the Phineas and Ferb version.

A Paranoia adventure for Star Wars? :-)

137beth
2018-02-01, 12:11 PM
They did, in fact. (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0679.html)

Ah, nice. And that could pretty easily be refitted to be about Jyn.

Keltest
2018-02-01, 12:18 PM
In case you don't know yet Keybounce, Krennic is the one in the hat. The one who had the cape and was self-important seeming.

Emperor Time
2018-02-01, 07:18 PM
But doesn't the transcript at the bottom shows who is saying what?

DataNinja
2018-02-02, 01:23 AM
But doesn't the transcript at the bottom shows who is saying what?

They may not have that when getting the pre-reads.

Emperor Time
2018-02-02, 02:15 AM
That true.

Keltest
2018-02-04, 09:18 AM
Ah, continuing the fine tradition of splitting the party far more than is remotely wise I see.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-02-04, 11:31 PM
Hey, at least they're all still at the same table. I've had games where the GM put us in separate rooms (on different floors) after we split up one time too many.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-02-04, 11:44 PM
Also, in forthcoming webcomic news, the trailer for SOLO dropped during the Super Bowl tonight. The CIs have got to use that shot of the Star Destroyer somehow. I don't care where or when, but it must happen.

Keltest
2018-02-06, 08:19 AM
Jim Inherited this character. This isn't the same Underwater Oxygen Extraction Apparatus, Luke has that right now. And Vader has the Jappor Snippet, though I guess the necklace could serve a similar purpose.

Morquard
2018-02-07, 05:39 PM
You know its weird. The GM gave Jim one of his sheets to play, right? So why does it say "Mysterious Necklace" if it was for his own purpose originally. Wouldn't he name or describe it a bit better?

Keltest
2018-02-07, 05:46 PM
You know its weird. The GM gave Jim one of his sheets to play, right? So why does it say "Mysterious Necklace" if it was for his own purpose originally. Wouldn't he name or describe it a bit better?

No? He knows what it is, he doesn't need to write down "magical necklace of keeping the NPC alive".

Rogar Demonblud
2018-02-07, 09:03 PM
Also, many GMs make sure things aren't spelled out in case one of the players decides to get sneaky. Min/maxing rules lawyers have a reputation for such things, and there's one of those at the table.

hamishspence
2018-02-11, 08:51 AM
Regarding today's discussion of "which Evil Overlord List entry is Krennic breaking at the moment" - this one seems like the most "on point"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/TVTropesAdditionalEvilOverlordVowsCellblockB

194: If I offer to pay someone, I will keep the vow, and I won't kill them once they are no longer useful.

Although some others may apply as well - for example:

185: I will make all my minions pass psych eval and IQ tests. Idiot minions generally forget orders, and respond to such orders as "Kill her" or "Strap him down" with "But datz mean, boss!".

(meaning - don't employ minions that still have consciences).

Rogar Demonblud
2018-02-20, 11:27 AM
Hey, look, Toprawa gets mentioned after all. Except it's an ocean world instead of farm world.

Oh well, at least we can skip the droid combines.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-02-25, 04:51 PM
I wonder at what point they switched from TIEs (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1618.html) to PIEs (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0889.html).

Morquard
2018-02-25, 07:38 PM
I wonder at what point they switched from TIEs (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1618.html) to PIEs (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0889.html).

Pretty much that strip you linked. GM wanted to say "No they're called TIE" (I assume) and they kept saying PIE. Hence the joke about "Don't change teh name again".

Rogar Demonblud
2018-02-25, 11:18 PM
Except he's saying that now, and we know they'll have changed the name at least once more, since they're called PIE fighters in the next campaign.

DataNinja
2018-02-26, 02:47 AM
Except he's saying that now...

Since when have the PCs ever listened? :smallamused:

Douglas
2018-02-26, 03:54 AM
Except he's saying that now, and we know they'll have changed the name at least once more, since they're called PIE fighters in the next campaign.
That's the joke. They changed it now, from SFSL Fighters to TIE Fighters, and he told them not to change it again - but we already know that they did anyway, so they clearly didn't heed that request.

Landis963
2018-03-06, 02:27 AM
Yes, this shot was as flabbergastingly improbable in the movie as the GM lampshades in the comic, IMO. And also, "Not a Jedi" my Force-insensitive hind end.

Keltest
2018-03-06, 08:10 AM
Yes, this shot was as flabbergastingly improbable in the movie as the GM lampshades in the comic, IMO. And also, "Not a Jedi" my Force-insensitive hind end.

He's not a jedi, but if the fact that he could functionally see while blind wasn't enough of an indicator, this should be that he can still use the Force. Also, he has a laser longbow, which I found greatly amusing.

Ellen
2018-03-08, 08:51 PM
In fairness to the guards not questioning the "innocent bystanders" thing, they did come across two civilians trying to save the life of one of the high ranking people at the base, not something you'd expect of the people attacking the base.

137beth
2018-03-08, 11:21 PM
Yea, Krennic looked like the one who was attacking the base.

The Glyphstone
2018-03-09, 12:49 PM
He's not a jedi, but if the fact that he could functionally see while blind wasn't enough of an indicator, this should be that he can still use the Force. Also, he has a laser longbow, which I found greatly amusing.

We already know the GM takes standard D&D equipment lists and sticks 'laser' or other sci-fi prefixes on the front. Maybe one of the Darths writers snuck into the studio and edited the script.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-03-09, 01:32 PM
We already know the GM takes standard D&D equipment lists and sticks 'laser' or other sci-fi prefixes on the front. Maybe one of the Darths writers snuck into the studio and edited the script.

Or someone at the studio reads the strip and thought it was a cool idea.

137beth
2018-03-11, 12:46 PM
Heh,
"Splitting up, let's do more of that!"

Morquard
2018-03-11, 04:45 PM
In fairness to the guards not questioning the "innocent bystanders" thing, they did come across two civilians trying to save the life of one of the high ranking people at the base, not something you'd expect of the people attacking the base.

Well to be fair the clones have been portrait as super gullible all the times.

137beth
2018-03-15, 06:03 PM
Well I guess that would be a good rule to have if you have puddy stuck on your ceiling and it catches dice?

bc56
2018-03-16, 07:14 AM
Or someone at the studio reads the strip and thought it was a cool idea.

The thing is, an earlier strip said that laser longbows would be just silly.
(Unfortunately I can't find it.)

hamishspence
2018-03-16, 07:22 AM
The thing is, an earlier strip said that laser longbows would be just silly.
(Unfortunately I can't find it.)

It is literally the very first strip that snarks at "plasma bows" as being an example of "D&D items with techy words added":

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

Rogar Demonblud
2018-03-16, 11:41 AM
Well I guess that would be a good rule to have if you have puddy stuck on your ceiling and it catches dice?

Could also be those foamish looking ceiling tiles. We always used to decorate those with pens and pencils back in my school days.

bc56
2018-03-17, 07:52 AM
It is literally the very first strip that snarks at "plasma bows" as being an example of "D&D items with techy words added":

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

No, there's one where Sally is talking about how the battle on the wookie planet I can't spell is like Agincourt, but Pete reminds her that Agincourt had longbows, not crossbows, and she says "Laser longbows would be just silly, silly."

Rogar Demonblud
2018-03-18, 02:16 PM
Well, the band's back together. On to the next random disaster!

Emperor Time
2018-03-18, 10:28 PM
Well, the band's back together. On to the next random disaster!

Let's see what next for our Ragtag Bunch of Misfits.

hamishspence
2018-03-19, 07:17 AM
No, there's one where Sally is talking about how the battle on the wookie planet I can't spell is like Agincourt, but Pete reminds her that Agincourt had longbows, not crossbows, and she says "Laser longbows would be just silly, silly."

You're right - this was it:

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0570.html

Rogar Demonblud
2018-03-20, 12:53 PM
This batch and a rocket launcher? I think it's time to cancel their health insurance. And property insurance. And life insurance.

137beth
2018-03-20, 01:23 PM
When K-2SO is destroyed, I wonder how much of a fuss Jim will make about not being able to recover her weapons.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-03-22, 05:59 PM
Yes, Jim, destroy those Power Points. Do it so thoroughly you destroy Power Point entirely throughout the universe.

bc56
2018-03-22, 07:40 PM
Yes, Jim, destroy those Power Points. Do it so thoroughly you destroy Power Point entirely throughout the universe.

Yes! I agree entirely!
MWHAHAHAHA!

137beth
2018-03-25, 08:25 AM
The party agreed on a course of action much faster than I expected.

The Glyphstone
2018-03-25, 10:46 AM
So what is this about the Comic Irregulars turning their show into a stage play? How did they get that past the Mouse and its infamously humorless lawyers?

bc56
2018-03-25, 11:57 AM
So what is this about the Comic Irregulars turning their show into a stage play? How did they get that past the Mouse and its infamously humorless lawyers?

Parody is protected speech (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html)

And they probably aren't claiming the characters as their own work, or making money off it.

The Glyphstone
2018-03-29, 11:40 AM
Parody is protected speech (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html)

And they probably aren't claiming the characters as their own work, or making money off it.

Tickets cost $10, and the Arts Festival isn't a charity IIRC.

The real impressive bit is that it's in Florida. I could see a rogue Star Wars stage play in, like, Boise, Idaho, but right at Darth Disney's front door is another thing.

Rockphed
2018-03-29, 06:05 PM
Tickets cost $10, and the Arts Festival isn't a charity IIRC.

The real impressive bit is that it's in Florida. I could see a rogue Star Wars stage play in, like, Boise, Idaho, but right at Darth Disney's front door is another thing.

On the one hand, doing this sort of thing right in front of Disney is going to get up in their grill really fast. On the other hand, if they did this in the podunk part of Idaho their chance of being ignored goes down slightly, but their exposure (and thus their ability to generate funding to fight off spurious lawfare) goes down faster. All-in-all, it is probably a better idea to go do your slightly daring thing on the steps of Disney's CEO's house and get the whole "we'll sue the pants off you" thing out of the way as soon as possible.

137beth
2018-03-30, 05:52 PM
They might be able to get away with it if they change all the names of the characters to be something other than what they were in the movies. I know of at least one group that did a stage musical which parodied both Star Wars and the Strouse/Charnin Annie, and one thing they had to do was avoid using names from any of the source material. The main character is Ani, who is based on both Annie and Anakin The villain is Pappy (which is a shortened version of "Palpatine"), and one of the comic relief characters is called JJ.

But I'm not a lawyer. And even if I were, Disney would have more lawyers than me. So I don't really know.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-03-30, 06:49 PM
It's also quite possible they asked permission, and Disney said okay because it's not worth the bad press to say no.

NEO|Phyte
2018-03-30, 07:04 PM
The little news blurb calls it an authorized adaptation, I would assume the authorized means Disney signed off on it.

Kornaki
2018-03-31, 07:37 AM
I assume authorized means the webcomic authors signed off on it as ok.

I don't see how doing a webcomic is different from doing a play; in the play they are not even using screenshots.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-01, 01:51 PM
To answer your question, keybounce, turning a garden hose on lava doesn't do much of anything besides make steam. There just isn't enough volume of water to cool the lava enough that it begins to solidify before the rest of the lava reheats it through thermal conduction.

edit, well, you might make a few crystals of obsidian if the lava flow has already radiated a significant amount of its surface heat.

Lethologica
2018-04-01, 04:29 PM
I guess Annie's voicing Vader because this is just Annie and the DM in the room?

137beth
2018-04-02, 07:01 PM
Well, we aren't seeing this game as it happens, we are seeing the group's retelling of the campaign several out-of-game years later, after they played Episodes IV-VI. Maybe Annie is voicing Darth Vader because everyone in the room knows she did it in the original trilogy. Or I could be completely off base and it is actually as Lethologica says.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-03, 10:04 AM
"Health and Safety Incident"? Now we know why they don't have any railings.

137beth
2018-04-05, 09:38 AM
I wonder if Vader will be angry at the end about Tarkin "kill-stealing."

Fyraltari
2018-04-05, 03:24 PM
I wonder if Vader will be angry at the end about Tarkin "kill-stealing."

If they use footage from the trailer, or just have them have long range communication, she might be the one who ordered it instead of Târkin. It would fit their characters better ("Base Orbital Bombardment Practice Range Omega" anyone?). It also wouldn't be the first time the comic changed who killed whom.

137beth
2018-04-08, 12:35 PM
Well, now we know Jim's other character.

Presumably Jim will play Bail until he dies, and then switch back to Bria so that she can die at the end.

Fyraltari
2018-04-08, 12:48 PM
Well, now we know Jim's other character.

Presumably Jim will play Bail until he dies, and then switch back to Bria so that she can die at the end.

But Organa didn't die in this movie. He just left to offscreen-land where he died in the next movie.
I wonder how they will handle that.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-08, 02:31 PM
It's off screen, so all they need is a bit of dialogue.

137beth
2018-04-08, 08:38 PM
But Organa didn't die in this movie. He just left to offscreen-land where he died in the next movie.
I wonder how they will handle that.

Thanks for reminding me: I didn't remember him dying in the movie, but I didn't remember him not dying, either. So, they will probably just add some dialogue about him dying of-panel.

Also remember that in Darths and Droids, the planet that was blown up in episode IV is Naboo, not Alderaan. So, some things may have to be changed.

Keltest
2018-04-15, 07:17 AM
Youre thinking of Geonosis, the desert planet from Attack of the Clones with all the bug people on it, Keybounce.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-29, 02:25 PM
Keybounce's commentary today was funnier than the last several pages have been. Anyone else starting to not really feel the love for the comic anymore?

I guess yes, since this is the first comment in two weeks.

Ibrinar
2018-04-29, 02:35 PM
Maybe it is partly because I haven't seen this movie but yes. I think part is that I don't yet care much about the new characters. Well the players are the same of course but still.

DataNinja
2018-04-29, 02:37 PM
I've been enjoying it. I just... really haven't had much to say. Witty or otherwise.

Rockphed
2018-04-29, 04:25 PM
Maybe it is partly because I haven't seen this movie but yes. I think part is that I don't yet care much about the new characters. Well the players are the same of course but still.

Rogue One is a bit of an odd duck. Trying to fit the characters from Rogue One into the same character arcs as the characters from the rest of the movies isn't doing it any favors. Rogue One is, in my opinion, a pretty good movie. At the very least, I think it is a better treatment of the before time than episodes I, II, and III were.

keybounce
2018-04-30, 12:18 AM
If anything, I'm really wondering about the text savviness of the rebellion.

Heck, and the Empire.

Seriously, the enemy combat robot? That you would use it//that you wouldn't plant it?

I really hope that the combat robot calling the rebel base doesn't actually happen that way in the movie.

Keltest
2018-04-30, 07:04 AM
If anything, I'm really wondering about the text savviness of the rebellion.

Heck, and the Empire.

Seriously, the enemy combat robot? That you would use it//that you wouldn't plant it?

I really hope that the combat robot calling the rebel base doesn't actually happen that way in the movie.

I mean, is there any reason to mistrust it more than any other recruit from the empire? Droids can be reprogrammed, after all. I would think they would be easier to trust than humans.

SirKazum
2018-04-30, 07:07 AM
I mean, is there any reason to mistrust it more than any other recruit from the empire? Droids can be reprogrammed, after all. I would think they would be easier to trust than humans.

Eh, droids in the SW universe (the movies, at least) are pretty much treated as "shiny humans". In practical terms, they're just another kind of funny-looking people.

Fyraltari
2018-04-30, 07:07 AM

The combat robot is in the base in the movie ; they are not calling anyone in this scene.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-04-30, 11:01 AM
He means earlier, when Sally called in on what was probably an open line to call in the air strike.

Fyraltari
2018-04-30, 06:11 PM
He means earlier, when Sally called in on what was probably an open line to call in the air strike.

Ah, well that didn't happen either if I remember correctly. That was decided by that Rebel intelligence officer after getting Cassian's report through a (presumably) secure channel. And then Cassian tried calling it off as to not get Jyn killed off.

137beth
2018-05-06, 11:55 AM
20 goons seems like more than enough to take on a huge military base, right?

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-06, 12:04 PM
Depends. Do they shoot better than Stormtrooper Academy graduates?

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-08, 10:28 AM
Whoa. Major continuity error. Jim wasn't there at the start of Episode III. It was just Annie, Ben and Pete.

Fyraltari
2018-05-08, 10:50 AM
Whoa. Major continuity error. Jim wasn't there at the start of Episode III. It was just Annie, Ben and Pete.
That's not a continuity error, Jim is trying to take credit for a (bad) plan that worked.
That's why Annie is saying "You didn't even [come up with that plan]. You weren't even [there when it happened.]"

On another note, was anybody else surprised how short the flashback was? I hoped we'd get to see the escape scene.

Morquard
2018-05-08, 02:09 PM
Keybounce's commentary today was funnier than the last several pages have been. Anyone else starting to not really feel the love for the comic anymore?

I guess yes, since this is the first comment in two weeks.
I found the comic somewhere during Episode 1. It was great because the prequel are a pile of utter poodoo.

Then around came the OT. Those movies were great, and while the comic was still good, the discrepancy wasn't as huge anymore. And the same applies for RO I guess...

It's still good, it's just that the source material was also good.

Ellen
2018-05-10, 10:48 PM
I want my code name to be "Glorfindel"

137beth
2018-05-13, 09:29 AM
the transition from Rogue One to Campaign Four seems really contrived.

Some people said that about the actual movie, too:smallamused:

Emperor Time
2018-05-13, 12:16 PM
Since it Rouge One instead of Rogue One, it makes me wonder if Moulin Rouge exists in that universe? :smallconfused:

137beth
2018-05-13, 02:51 PM
Oh, thanks, I didn't notice that! So Rogue One became Rouge One. I suppose Jim must be getting his overpowdered characters from the Tomb of Battle supplement, since that's where the Rouge comes from.

hamishspence
2018-05-13, 03:05 PM
Regarding the "does Mon Mothma know that Leia is Vader's daughter" question by aurilee - in both Newcanon and Legends, a point was made that she didn't know.

So, Bail appearing to be keeping it a secret from her here, doesn't seem too out of character.

137beth
2018-05-22, 03:43 AM
Life Day! That's a long callback! We saw Jim invent it less than 100 pages into Episode I (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0063.html). It was mentioned again in episode III (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0513.html).

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-22, 10:27 AM
The sad thing is, this is one of the more believable things this crew has done.

Lethologica
2018-05-22, 02:07 PM
You can go anywhere with a safety vest.

DataNinja
2018-05-24, 11:02 AM
Can confirm. As someone who has a near-Christmas birthday, it's a pain. Just one year, I'd like it so everyone isn't busy with seasonal-related activities to do anything, thanks.:smallsigh:
Well, I'll show them, eventually. I'll show them alllllll!

Rockphed
2018-05-24, 05:54 PM
Can confirm. As someone who has a near-Christmas birthday, it's a pain. Just one year, I'd like it so everyone isn't busy with seasonal-related activities to do anything, thanks.:smallsigh:
Well, I'll show them, eventually. I'll show them alllllll!

My sisters and daughter have birthdays right after Christmas. My sisters were always pretty bummed about it.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-05-24, 07:08 PM
My step-sister's birthday is Christmas. I'm her favorite because I'm the only one who actually remembers it each year.

137beth
2018-05-31, 01:40 PM
Ah, K, you know you'll have to try harder if you want to fool Cassian.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-05, 10:57 AM
Yay, battlemats!

137beth
2018-06-05, 01:31 PM
I'm not much of a fan of battle mats myself.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-05, 03:33 PM
After a few too many arguments about who was or was not caught in an AoE, I adore them.

Keltest
2018-06-12, 10:01 AM
Keybounce, have you ever held a glass or a cup such that most of the cup was under water without the lip going below the water line?

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-12, 10:36 AM
Not with a water permeable cup he likely hasn't.

137beth
2018-06-14, 09:17 AM
And why wouldn't the high-security data be in the Chamber of Secrets? If you think about it, the Chamber of Secrets should hold your secrets.
Problem is, anyone who can imitate the sound of a snake can get in to the Chamber of Secrets. You don't need to have the innate ability to speak Parseltongue to do it (see Ron in Deathly Hallows). In the Star Wars galaxy, a lot of droids can probably speak Parseltongue, making the Chamber's security really weak.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-06-19, 12:46 PM
And Pete finds a way to screw over everyone except himself. Again.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-07-03, 11:14 AM
Man, this is just piling more and more resources into a single fight.

I can't even remember the movie well enough to recall this scene as it was filmed.

DataNinja
2018-07-03, 11:36 AM
And this is why the Rebels haven't won yet, regarding aurilee's commentary last strip. The Empire (especially the Clones) may be decidedly less than competent, but the non-PC Rebels aren't much better... as we've seen every time they have a meeting. :smallamused:

Rodin
2018-07-03, 12:28 PM
@Keybounce's commentary:

I believe that campaign recap is exactly what is happening. The comment Pete makes a couple strips ago "Yeah, actually, this we weren't expecting" makes it pretty clear that they were not receiving this information in real time. We're getting the whole campaign in order for the benefit of Corey.

The Glyphstone
2018-07-03, 01:25 PM
I took Pete's comment as sarcasm, but that makes more sense.

137beth
2018-07-05, 10:30 AM
Oh sure, we were trying not to use our old characters, but every movie game is required to have a cameo appearance by R2D2 and C-3PO.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-07-11, 11:31 AM
For those who haven't checked, they fixed the image file on yesterday's comic.

BannedInSchool
2018-07-16, 05:25 AM
I was just thinking about the square-cube law after seeing some giant robots in a movie really not seeming like they're as large as they're supposed to be physics-wise, although my first thought was about acceleration from gravity. Stay-Puft got it right. :smallwink:

137beth
2018-07-19, 06:10 AM
Ah, yes, the whole "barrier" thing from this massive action sequence.
I wonder how the Comic Irregulars are going to handle communicating through the shield. In the movie, IIRC, the shield didn't stop communication between rebels inside or outside, but it did stop them from sending very large files (like the Death Star plans). So, basically, the shield results in a low internet bandwidth. That seemed kind of forced to me in the movie.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-07-19, 01:05 PM
Man, how has the Empire not tripped over their shoelaces (which they tied together themselves) and fallen into a beartrap in an acid bath by now?

Fyraltari
2018-07-19, 03:37 PM
I'm guessing aurilee is on vacations?

137beth
2018-07-22, 11:01 AM
Good job, Jim. Make sure the gate is closed so that the fight will be more difficult.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-07-22, 08:38 PM
He's just making sure the Imperials can't escape.

137beth
2018-07-23, 08:32 AM
Why would the imperials need to escape? It's not like anyone would blow up their entire facility with the Peace Moon.

Fyraltari
2018-07-24, 01:51 PM
Keybounce, you cannot tell with the shots used but those are not swords. They are two of those batons-with-lights-at-the-end that airport staffs use to help airplanes land. We have seen people do that in the OT.

Rockphed
2018-07-24, 03:37 PM
Keybounce, you cannot tell with the shots used but those are not swords. They are two of those batons-with-lights-at-the-end that airport staffs use to help airplanes land. We have seen people do that in the OT.

I think the more pertinent point is that they were on the back of the person whose uniform she stole. (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1658.html)

Rodin
2018-07-24, 04:41 PM
I think the more pertinent point is that they were on the back of the person whose uniform she stole. (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1658.html)

Y'know, looking at that comic again...

They shot those dudes. Then stole their uniforms.

Shouldn't there be great big smoking holes in them?

Rogar Demonblud
2018-07-24, 04:45 PM
Yes. You think the Imperials would notice?

keybounce
2018-07-24, 08:31 PM
Oh, they stole them from the guy I thought was a Ninja? Makes sense.

Landing lights for planes? Got cha.

"Which way to the restroom?"
"Over thatway" :-)

Rogar Demonblud
2018-07-24, 11:04 PM
Suddenly I'm reminded of the guy directing a jetliner in Airplane!

keybounce
2018-07-24, 11:09 PM
:-)

Yep.

OK

137beth
2018-07-31, 07:32 AM
Pete getting half the XP despite not really doing much reminds me of the Dragon Magazine/SSaDT OOTS comic where Belkar complains about having to share XP with Elan.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-05, 05:03 PM
an, just when I was starting to think this computer was the most competent character in the entire Da&Dr universe...

Rockphed
2018-08-05, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure where they are going with this, besides a chance for Jim to completely forget that he is carting around a crystal with all his family history data in it.

In the movie they spend some time figuring out which tape they want. They have a project name, but they cannot get all the tapes. More drama is added by the difficulties in actually getting the tape they want.

SirKazum
2018-08-06, 08:01 AM
I just realized that "Sciri", other than the obvious reference, is also pretty close to "scire", which is Latin for "to know", something fitting of a digital assistant. Well played.

137beth
2018-08-07, 08:21 AM
That extra 1 didn't really make it any more secure:smallamused:
Not that it will matter after the computer is destroyed.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-07, 10:47 AM
The sad thing is this is still better security than we've seen elsewhere.

Rockphed
2018-08-07, 11:21 AM
I wonder if we are going to get to hear what the actual password was.

keybounce
2018-08-07, 12:22 PM
The old password? Why would you bother storing the old password? It's not like any site is going to say "That password was changed two days ago", or any sort of "Prove that you are the real owner of this account" - "Enter the prior password (must have been valid for at least three months)".

Oh, wait, Google actually does something very similar, and they basically implemented this sort of thing after accounts were stolen. So ...

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-07, 12:36 PM
Also, some systems store X old passwords so as to make sure you're using something different.

Keltest
2018-08-07, 04:58 PM
Also, some systems store X old passwords so as to make sure you're using something different.

I hate when they do that. If they get compromised, instead of giving away one username/PW I use, they give away all of the passwords I rotate through.

137beth
2018-08-09, 08:11 AM
Aww, crap, neither guest commentator wrote anything (yet?) That means the rebellion must have hacked in to Darths and Droids and stole the commentary!

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-09, 11:26 AM
Actually, I don't think Aurilee has made a comment in three-four weeks.

keybounce
2018-08-09, 11:53 AM
I'm actually late for the first time, sorry. Not an email issue, I read the comic for the first time just now.

Claudius Maximus
2018-08-10, 03:34 AM
On the subject of the crane games, I was in Naruto not long ago, where there was a sweet potato claw game (here's (https://i.imgur.com/9YNWvkP.jpg) a crummy picture I took). I love Naruto's awesome "kintoki" sweet potatoes, so I only barely managed not to waste however much money on the thing. Japan is truly on top in this field.

Gez
2018-08-12, 06:12 AM
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1690.html

This is basically the Star Wars version of 9/11. Destroy a building with astrojet fuel.

Rockphed
2018-08-12, 07:24 AM
Frankly, this part of the movie was a little weak. However, the comic here is even weaker than the movie was.:smallannoyed:

keybounce
2018-08-12, 11:17 AM
Weak or not, is there any sense of "reasonableness" in the movie here?

We are apparently going from a full military siege of the ship to situation normal.

And I'm guessing that the ship flies in, trying to pick up our heroes, only for a massive fireball to cause a TPK, switching the scene back to the group receiving the plans.

Keltest
2018-08-12, 11:42 AM
Weak or not, is there any sense of "reasonableness" in the movie here?

We are apparently going from a full military siege of the ship to situation normal.

And I'm guessing that the ship flies in, trying to pick up our heroes, only for a massive fireball to cause a TPK, switching the scene back to the group receiving the plans.

Youll see. But without spoiling anything, remember that this is a Jim plan and set your expectations accordingly.

Rockphed
2018-08-12, 12:44 PM
In the movie, there are ... complications that drive the choices made by the main characters. The situation is about as normal at this point as when Han says, "situation normal. Everything is okay here. How are you?" Any lull in the action is thus caused by the stormtrooper leadership trying to figure out where they need to deploy rather than by leadership not being aware that something is up.

As for how normal the present bit is in the comic, they have security on the way thanks to something Jim said. (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1686.html) Any amount of talking here is probably because they want to get as much out of Jyn and Cassian in the Vault as possible.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-12, 02:26 PM
Just a nitpick, keybounce, but if the doors in the cargo hold are airtight enough to hold against vacuum, liquids will not be a problem.

keybounce
2018-08-12, 02:44 PM
That's a really good point, thank you. I was thinking of normal earth cargo ships when I wrote that.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-12, 03:23 PM
So was I. The IJN supercarrier Shinano was sunk because of a lack of airtight compartments. Maybe they didn't let water through, but they let all the air be forced out, to be replaced by water.

And once enough pressure is applied (or removed by vacuum), you aren't watertight anymore either.

Rockphed
2018-08-12, 05:31 PM
So was I. The IJN supercarrier Shinano was sunk because of a lack of airtight compartments. Maybe they didn't let water through, but they let all the air be forced out, to be replaced by water.

And once enough pressure is applied (or removed by vacuum), you aren't watertight anymore either.

On the other hand, the US battleship Arizona was lost despite airtight compartments. The last crew to die died about a week after the ship sank: they were in a compartment, locked the door against the waters, but ended up a couple decks below the waves before the invention of scuba gear. I'm not sure if they starved, suffocated, or died of dehydration.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-12, 09:22 PM
No one can say with any certainty, although starvation is almost certainly out in that timeframe. Similar happened with the USS Utah and USS Oklahoma.

SirKazum
2018-08-14, 10:51 AM
While the comic does have a lot of classical Darths & Droids misdirection and clever use of screencapping to tell an alternative story, from my hazy memory of the movie, I think the ship is actually sitting there undisturbed in the middle of a battle in this scene. Maybe they landed in a hidden, out-of-the way spot? Don't quite remember. Even so, it beggars belief.

Keltest
2018-08-14, 10:57 AM
While the comic does have a lot of classical Darths & Droids misdirection and clever use of screencapping to tell an alternative story, from my hazy memory of the movie, I think the ship is actually sitting there undisturbed in the middle of a battle in this scene. Maybe they landed in a hidden, out-of-the way spot? Don't quite remember. Even so, it beggars belief.

Why? Its an imperial shuttle manned by an imperial pilot. The rebels wont shoot it because its their ride home. The imperials wont shoot it because they think its a friendly, and also because blasters are, as a rule, not effective against spacecraft anyway. Plus, the rebels are trying to avoid having the imperials fighting them directly on top of it.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-14, 11:33 AM
I love this one just for replicating that scene from Back to the Future (and BTTF2).

Rockphed
2018-08-14, 12:39 PM

The battle is happening elsewhere at this point.

The reason for the troops going out and causing havoc was to create a distraction. At one point we see the Bohdi throwing misdirection by claiming to be on different pads and having rebel troops attacking.

Also, in the film he is hooking up an antenna so they can tell the ships outside to shield to watch for their transmission, not filling up with fuel. In star wars, fuel lines look, well, like fuel lines or fire hoses. If I had to chart where things actually started going wrong for the party, the trooper getting the drop on him is probably where I would put it.

5a Violista
2018-08-14, 04:03 PM
Also, it should be noted that Darths and Droids has the habit of changing the pacing of scenes, sometimes fitting what seems like entire conversations in what were moments in the movie and sometimes going quickly through long, drawn-out scene changes or tense standoff moments, and sometimes even having conversations between characters/players (OoC or IC) who weren't even in the same scene, through the magic of editing.

In this scene in particular,
the pilot and the trooper don't have a friendly conversation; in fact, the pilot doesn't even notice the trooper until he turns around and sees the gun. The whole scene is done in seconds, much shorter than the amount of time it takes to read their conversation.

This change of pace works because the writers are making their own original story (imagine if Darths and Droids closely followed the true plot? That'd be so boring).

Rogar Demonblud
2018-08-14, 04:31 PM
I don't know. Having Jim speak Han's actual lines from the movie in the detention block in Ep IV was pretty sweet.

bc56
2018-08-18, 10:35 AM
Yeah, this scene diverged a lot from the movie.

Here, Bodhi is about to hook up the ship to the main comms antenna for the facility so he has enough signal strength to tell the rebels to expect the plans soon. It takes about a minute in total, but darths makes it seem much longer.

Kantaki
2018-08-30, 12:59 PM
:smallfrown:Don't regret K-2, now you get to shoot the angels in heaven.
As many targets as you could wish for...:smallfrown:

Rockphed
2018-09-05, 02:21 AM
In response to Keybounce's final jab at the stupid manual crane: I totally agree! What kind of idiot has a manual crane when you could have a computer controlled one?

keybounce
2018-09-05, 11:16 PM
The empire, apparently.

Whoever designed this research station.

... You know, on a water planet, where some sand had to be shipped in, that had enough plants grow to permit a hostile army to hide.

Where you can have a waterfall because there's a big gap in the ground ...

No, I don't understand it either.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-09-06, 11:32 AM
Succinct description of most sci-fi world building.

Oh, and it looks like that infantry assault you were asking about has arrived.

Aeson
2018-09-08, 09:54 PM
Bit late, but:

Just a nitpick, keybounce, but if the doors in the cargo hold are airtight enough to hold against vacuum, liquids will not be a problem.
That's debatable, actually; the seals necessary to maintain a breathable atmosphere inside a ship would only need to hold against about one atmosphere of pressure (plus whatever additional pressure the ship's acceleration can produce) and shouldn't normally be exposed to anything too nasty. Replacing the ship's atmosphere with fuel could result in significantly higher pressures being exerted on the seals and significantly alter the pressure gradients over the length of the seal, and may expose the seals to substances significantly more corrosive or reactive than air.

Additionally, external seals are not the only concern - the cargo compartments which we can see appear to be internally accessible from the cockpit, leading to the question of whether or not the cockpit (and, for that matter, other areas of the ship which might be nonfunctional if flooded) can be adequately isolated from the cargo bays full of fuel.

Also, if we're pretending that physics applies to magitech, then I'd note that the amount of force which must be exerted by a device such as an "inertial compensator" or "artificial gravity generator" which produces a uniform acceleration field over a given volume is directly proportional to the mass within that volume; Newton's Laws are the same whether the force is concentrated a point or distributed over a line, plane, or volume, even if the math gets messier. Depending on how dense starship fuel is and how rapidly the ship needs to accelerate in order to hit Scarif Tower before the defenses presumably present at a military installation can respond, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the magitech to fail to function correctly, or perhaps even at all ... and even if the inertial compensators and artificial gravity devices function correctly there's still the possibility that the reaction forces exerted on the magitech devices would rip them off the ship's frame, or even rip apart the ship's structure. There's also the possibility, depending on the mechanics of how inertial compensators work, that starship fuel is a sufficiently different medium from air, humans, and standard cargo to prevent the magitech from working for other reasons - as a perhaps-iffy analogy, a waterproof electric motor which drives a propeller might fail in air due to the differences in thermal properties between air and water and the lower loading on the motor when spinning the propeller in air rather than water while a similar system intended for use in air may fail when immersed in water due to the differences in electrical properties between water and air and the increased loading on motor when the propeller is immersed in water instead of air. Of course, it's doubtful that such things were considered when the decision was made to implicitly or explicitly include things like inertial compensators as features of the setting, even assuming that this was a conscious decision.

To keybounce: regarding the comment about the doors closing in the event of damage to the controls or power supply based on the evidence of the doors on the Death Star doing so in A New Hope, I personally would consider that a reasonable failsafe precaution, at the very least for doors at airtight compartment boundaries, on a combatant spacecraft such as the Death Star, and I cannot see any good reason for that enormous shaft in the Death Star not to be its own airtight compartment, especially if it reaches somewhere near the surface of the vessel; exposing it to vacuum has the potential to cause a loss of atmosphere over too much of the vessel otherwise. Moreover, battle damage, internal explosion, and fire are probably more likely - and almost certainly more dangerous, at least on spacecraft of more reasonable scale - causes of power or controls failure than sabotage or accidental damage specifically affecting the doors' power supplies or control units.

Keltest
2018-09-18, 08:30 AM
Now that I think about it, these guys have been playing together for how many years? And never once have they spontaneously broken into song that I can recall.

137beth
2018-09-18, 09:51 AM
They've broken into song multiple times:
The last panel here where Ben and Sally sing Les Miserables (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1068.html)
Greivous sing here (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0470.html)
Annie sings Les Miserables again here. (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1396.html)

Keltest
2018-09-18, 10:44 AM
They've broken into song multiple times:
The last panel here where Ben and Sally sing Les Miserables (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1068.html)
Greivous sing here (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0470.html)
Annie sings Les Miserables again here. (http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1396.html)

I wasn't counting it when they sing in character.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-09-18, 12:25 PM
Annie does sing the song she wrote for her father's funeral. I forget where that was.

SirKazum
2018-09-19, 08:31 AM
I wasn't counting it when they sing in character.

The line between IC and OOC may be kinda blurred in most gaming tables though, and certainly in this one.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-09-20, 11:43 AM
Ah, so that's what d4s are for!

Kantaki
2018-09-20, 12:01 PM
Ah, so that's what d4s are for!

What else could they possibly be for?:smallconfused:

Also, that die- and the fact he owns one -is just so incredibly Pete.:smallbiggrin:
It's almost better than Luke's (Grandline 3.5) special diplomacy D20.:smallamused:
Pete looses some style points for only breaking it out in a no-loose situation.
Bloody show-off...:smallannoyed:

Fyraltari
2018-09-20, 04:17 PM
It's been a while since a Darths and Droids strio made me laugh like that.

"I roll One with the Die. The Die is with me!" :smallbiggrin:

Kantaki
2018-09-23, 07:58 AM
That face (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1708.html) is just perfect.:smallbiggrin:
That mixture of utter confusion and shock as Pete realizes he messed up.:smallbiggrin:

Also, that was Plan Z that just went up in smoke...:smallamused:

Rockphed
2018-09-23, 12:20 PM
Usually I don't the mind the Comic Irregulars' changes to the story. This one, I don't like.

5a Violista
2018-09-24, 02:10 AM
Yeah, this particular scene is not so much "dramatic" as it is "Pete overlooks a small detail again that leads to trouble", more of a comedic page.

It's definitely in-character for Pete, but sometimes "in-character" conflicts with "dramatic for the story".

DavidSh
2018-09-24, 02:12 PM
It's been a while since a Darths and Droids strio made me laugh like that.

"I roll One with the Die. The Die is with me!" :smallbiggrin:

It's been a while since I saw it. Was there a movie line like "I am One with the Force. The Force is with me!"?

Fyraltari
2018-09-24, 02:19 PM
Yes that is the heart of the scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXcZ-4cPRhw).
It is Chirrut's mantra

The link contains minor spoilers for the rest of the scene, Keybounce.

keybounce
2018-09-25, 12:46 AM
I am not clicking the links, the spoilers are not one with me.

(tee hee)

Rockphed
2018-09-25, 02:19 AM

(tee hee)

I applaud your dedication to the cause of bringing the rest of us slightly more entertainment from Darths And Droids strips.

Keltest
2018-09-25, 06:52 AM
I assume that Pete had something that made him immune to critical hits. That seems like a Pete thing to do.

Kantaki
2018-09-25, 10:17 AM
I really like that the DM tries to save Pete there.
Unfortunate that Pete's brilliant build works against him there.:smallbiggrin:

Rogar Demonblud
2018-09-25, 10:48 AM
Live by the Min/Max, Die by the Min/Max.

Get into what looks like the only situation Dodge doesn't apply, and everything else stems from the Min/Max. No armor, trade hit points for something else, deliberately gimp everybody else's ability to apply first aid to grab that little bit more power.

This may be the most Pete thing so far in the comic.

Fyraltari
2018-09-25, 12:00 PM
This is not a glass cannon. This is a crystal missile launcher.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-09-27, 11:18 AM
So, any guesses how long Baze lasts? I know the movie answer, but the strip is something else.

Rodin
2018-09-27, 02:38 PM
So, any guesses how long Baze lasts? I know the movie answer, but the strip is something else.

Well, it can't be long. He's about to die of a broken familiar link. Unless the GM gives Pete a break and lets him take over Baze for a bit.

By the way, I genuinely don't know. It's been long enough since I saw the movie that I don't actually remember this bit.

Fyraltari
2018-09-27, 02:56 PM
Baze runs up to Chirrut, who tells him not to be sad. Baze then starts praying "The Force is with me; I am One with the Force" while taking out all the remaining Death Troopers, dying in the process.

keybounce
2018-10-02, 11:45 AM
Shot to the eye, to R2's shame
Jim calls things by the wrong name
Annie plays her part, Ben plays his game
Jim calls things by the wrong name
Jim calls things, the wrong name

(I thought this was worth a repost)

Rockphed
2018-10-02, 11:53 AM
(I thought this was worth a repost)

That is a thing of beauty and grace.

Fyraltari
2018-10-02, 01:30 PM
I think this platform was the only thing in the movie that made me go "oh come on".

Such a cheat...

Rockphed
2018-10-02, 01:48 PM
I think this platform was the only thing in the movie that made me go "oh come on".

Such a cheat...

You thought Cassian should have suffered the same ignominious death as Palpatine?

Fyraltari
2018-10-02, 02:29 PM
You thought Cassian should have suffered the same ignominious death as Palpatine?

No, Ithought that if you were going to throw your protagonists down a botoomless pit and catch them later (first why?) then you should show what it is that will catch them.

Also Cassian can't spontaneously explode mid-air so he can't die like Palps anyway.

keybounce
2018-10-02, 02:38 PM
I'm still trying to understand ... this is a *water* planet, how they got such a deep shaft in the first place.

Keltest
2018-10-02, 02:42 PM
I'm still trying to understand ... this is a *water* planet, how they got such a deep shaft in the first place.

They probably put it in the big tower (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1657.html).

Fyraltari
2018-10-02, 03:01 PM

In the comic? The GM may not have thought it through.

In the film? Those islands are natural features of the planet.

5a Violista
2018-10-02, 03:44 PM
In the film? Those islands are natural features of the planet.

Still, Ocean + Sand = high water tables,

which means after digging a short distance, they'd run into waterlogged sand and clay (etc), which means they probably had specialized equipment to hold back and remove the sand and water and mud as they dug.

Of course, it's definitely within the capacity of a government that can build the Death Star, but they probably had to ship a ton of specialized equipment and pre-manufactured building parts there.

...I suppose they could've delivered the building fully built and water-proof, and the building had a drill-thing on the bottom that just sunk further and further into the island as it ran.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-10-02, 03:51 PM
If they used any kind of energy bore to dig the hole, the sides would've been melted and fused, probably into something that resembles high-silica basalt (can't remember the technical term--is there a dwarf in the audience?). Bingo, a nice thick crust of stone between you and the water.

Fyraltari
2018-10-02, 03:59 PM
Still, Ocean + Sand = high water tables,

There may be rock and all the usual stuff making the island the Citadel is built on. I does not have to be just sand.

Rockphed
2018-10-02, 04:15 PM
I think this part of the movie may actually represent the Comic Irregulars spending less time thinking about something than the people who made the movie. In the movie, the planet is just a homogeneous mix of shallow seas and short islands. In the comic the empire created the planet whole-sale by exporting all the water from Kamino to serve as a new planet to put their nefarious data archive on.

AdmiralCheez
2018-10-03, 05:32 AM
I mean, they are in a tower. Who's to say they didn't just go up a few floors and the bottom of the shaft is the ground floor?

keybounce
2018-10-04, 01:25 AM
That's a good point; didn't they have to go up to the top of the tower to get to this data room?

Alright, so you've just got a really tall tower, with a giant hole in the middle, with see-through grates that you can fall onto, with no safety rails, but at least a glass wall.

... and a hand-operated data loading mechanism.

Rockphed
2018-10-04, 03:55 AM
That's a good point; didn't they have to go up to the top of the tower to get to this data room?

Alright, so you've just got a really tall tower, with a giant hole in the middle, with see-through grates that you can fall onto, with no safety rails, but at least a glass wall.

... and a hand-operated data loading mechanism.

There was probably a way to automate the loading mechanism. Too bad they left their walking computer outside the vault so they had nobody to operate it.

(That said, this is one of the places where the movie felt a little weak. I think the last 50 strips took about 5 minutes in the movie. It is kinda intense and, well, seeing a rocket hit a walker and leave no mark is pretty awesome.)

AdmiralCheez
2018-10-04, 05:41 AM
I feel bad for any employee that accidentally drops a data crystal down the shaft. I have a feeling it's not like a crane game and the idea is to drop the prize down a hole to retrieve it.

Fyraltari
2018-10-04, 06:14 AM
If it is not stupidly designed, the crane can't let go of the data until is is safely delivered to the operator. Of course, this is the Galactic Empire.

5a Violista
2018-10-04, 06:19 AM
I would expect it to have some sort of "emergency release" that requires you to turn a key and press a button at the same time, personally.

keybounce
2018-10-04, 01:24 PM
Go down to the bottom of the shaft, open the "maintenance" door, take the crystal off the floor (it fell through all those open grates), and then take it back upstairs to reload.

Or, just out the door.

Yea, all they had to do was drop it, and then go downstairs :-)

Fyraltari
2018-10-04, 01:35 PM
Go down to the bottom of the shaft, open the "maintenance" door, take the crystal off the floor (it fell through all those open grates), and then take it back upstairs to reload.

Or, just out the door.

Yea, all they had to do was drop it, and then go downstairs :-)

It would probably break.

Besides, those are not crystals, in the film.

Keltest
2018-10-07, 08:30 AM
And so ends another brilliant Jim plan.

Rockphed
2018-10-07, 10:42 AM
And so ends another brilliant Jim plan.

Farewell rogue rebel pilot. Farewell stolen imperial shuttle. We truly did not get enough time with you. You will be missed.

Rodin
2018-10-07, 12:25 PM
Farewell rogue rebel pilot. Farewell stolen imperial shuttle. We truly did not get enough time with you. You will be missed.

...just not by the Stormtrooper.

Rogar Demonblud
2018-10-07, 01:37 PM
For the record, keybounce, Pete knows what the trooper is armed with because he's looking at the miniatures on the table. Apparently, the GM is a stickler for accurate minis. Or he took Pete's comment and rolled with it.

Keltest
2018-10-07, 01:59 PM
For the record, keybounce, Pete knows what the trooper is armed with because he's looking at the miniatures on the table. Apparently, the GM is a stickler for accurate minis. Or he took Pete's comment and rolled with it.

It could also be he was disarmed by one of Pete's soldiers earlier.

Fyraltari
2018-10-07, 02:20 PM
The Shoretrooper does look like a LEGO from that angle. :)