PDA

View Full Version : Monk rearanging stats

zylodrizzt
2017-12-26, 03:03 AM
Made a thread recently about casters rearranging thier casting stat. One monk was brought up so that got me to thinking about that. Here's a few ideas for changing wis to a diffrent stat.

Str- When it comes to ac this would be them tossing the opponent around. Open hand would be the choice here which effects would be str based as well. Stunning fist would be bashing thier head hard of course. This would likely be a boxer like martial artist and flavoring everything as athleticism or training using more power then agility (course agility is important

Con- ac would be withstanding blows (like barb) think the choice would be long death here because of thier study on death has given them more insight to health. They trained to use thier own very life force to cause effects. Could also explain it like an egoist in 3.5 altering thier bodies to cause effects.

Int: I'm thinking more tech based. They made gadgets that help them. Thier ac is specialized armor. Thier fists same. Everything tech based. When I thought of this I thought iron man and sun soul monk. Kinda wanna play this with a warforged.

Cha: I'm thinking more like a sorc here. The effects are more like spells. The ac is like a magical field or the enemy thinks better (like an enchantment effect). I'm thinking more like shadow or elemental monk.

Thoughts?
Other ideas?
Diffrent flavors?

MrStabby
2017-12-26, 01:40 PM
Sorcerer monk is fun but is very MAD. If I could use the same casting stat for both I could be very tempted to play that.

More on theme - I also like the idea of int as a stat. The idea of studying and learning from books to develop an understanding. Knowledge of anatomy for stunning strike for example.

Asgardian
2017-12-26, 02:56 PM
I always though of the monks striking as being mostly precision (dex) based,

Stunning fist? Poke to the eye, throat or groin,

You dont have to hit someone hard in those areas... just be accurate

Easy_Lee
2017-12-26, 03:05 PM
To do this in a more generalized way, simply allow characters to choose any attribute besides constitution for their martial stuff, and any other attribute besides constitution for their mental / spell-like abilities.

Example: someone wants to play a Gnome Fighter. Let him add intelligence to hit, damage, and any fighter DCs he gains. He takes a level in wizard or chooses EK: he has to use an attribute other than intelligence for his new spells.

Example two: someone wants to play a Tiefling Monk. His unarmed AC is 10+CHA+INT, he makes attacks with CHA, and stuns with INT.

This works for every class except the barbarian who, therefore, gets to be the exception and add constitution to his unarmored AC.