PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Storm Druid (Control) Optimization and Dilemma

Wardog442
2017-12-26, 10:38 AM
Hello reader, hope this post finds you well. Below I will be presenting a rather large post regarding my Storm Druid build inside a party of 12 (ridiculous, I know xD). Thanks in advance.

Campaign:
Game of Thrones, The Long Night.

Party Roster:
Melee: Sacred Shield Paladin, Bloodrager, Monk, Ninja, Rogue.
Ranged: Boltace/Ninja, Ranger.
Casters: Arcanist (Blaster), Wizard (Control/Blaster), Cleric (Healer), Druid (Control).

Character Build:
Human Druid (Storm Druid Archetype), Air Domain. Traits: Finding Haleen, Reactionary, Magical Lineage (Chain Lightning). Starting Gold: 3.5k.

Feats:
1: Improve Initiative, Spell Focus (Evocation)
3: Greater Spell Focus (Evocation)
5: Nature Spell
7: Wild Speech
9: Focused Spell
11: Dazing Spell
13: Elemental Spell
15: Spell Perfection (Chain Lightning)
17: Quick Wild Shape
19: Quicken Spell

Role:
My Druid will focus on CC'ing through the use of Evocation Spells. For early levels, I will use cold spells such as Flurry of Snowballs and Ice Spears and apply Rime Spell with a Lesser Metamagic Rod. Mid levels I'll prepare spells such as Sheet Lightning, Sleet Storm, Dazing Call Lightning and Dazing Flaming Sphere. Late game levels I'll be doing Dazing Focused Chain Lightning (Spell Perfection). Throughout all of this, I will prepare other spells such as Wind Wall (Air Domain), Live Oak, Heal, Changestaff, etc. My focus here is controlling the battlefield, while the rest of the party destroys ****. I don't really know how things will turn out, considering that wizards at high levels are suppose to simply wipe out encounters; but then having 12 characters will really make the encounters that much of a larger scale.

Problems:
First off, the strength of the druid comes from preparing spells but then having the option and versatility of sacrificing these to Summon Natures Ally. Due to the size of our party, adding more bodies to the battlefield is potentially a hindrance rather than an aid; which is one of the reasons I chose the Storm Druid archetype, to have access to spontaneous cast my domain spells.

The second problem is effectiveness as a Control Druid. A lot of the Druid spells are caught between Conjuration, Transmutation and Evocation. I feel that this proves to be a hindrance when selecting Spell Focus feats to improve your spells DCs. I want to feel useful during encounters and I'm unsure as to whether I will be.

Comments?

Geddy2112
2017-12-26, 01:08 PM
With a party this big, you don't really need to worry and with all that gold cash money you are set. Just max Wis for your dc's and spells per day and you are gold. Put the rest of your ability scores points into Dex and then con, dump everything else. Shapeshift into something that flies and/or is small or smaller and just blast away.

For what it's worth, I would take weather as my first domain for both debuffing and non-lethal damage option. The spells are basically the same as air but air has the awful blast power. You get both at level 9 anyways, and missing a few levels of electricity resistance should not kill you.

Electrictiy is an uncommon immunity but have some alternative elemental spells just in case. Even if they are not evocation, with high Wis your DC's will be strong. And don't forget utility spells and druid only things like faerie fire