PDA

View Full Version : Character upgrades instead of magic items?

Rfkannen
2017-12-26, 11:13 AM
Not sure if I worded that right, but my idea is instead of having magic items that someone can wear or hold, giving permanent changes to a character. Like giving a character a minor version of vampirism that only gives dark vision, or a tattoo that can be used as a +1 arcane focus, or having a character grow gills permanently, or teaching a special fighting style that makes you able to dodge critical hits.

What do you think of it? Having modifications to characters instead of giving them items.

BobZan
2017-12-26, 11:25 AM
It's cool, but just make sure they'll be able to surpass resistance to damage of non-magical weapons.

Unoriginal
2017-12-26, 11:30 AM
Not sure if I worded that right, but my idea is instead of having magic items that someone can wear or hold, giving permanent changes to a character. Like giving a character a minor version of vampirism that only gives dark vision, or a tattoo that can be used as a +1 arcane focus, or having a character grow gills permanently, or teaching a special fighting style that makes you able to dodge critical hits.

What do you think of it? Having modifications to characters instead of giving them items.

You mean like a Boon?

Can work, but they'd me more powerful than magic items since they can't be taken away from the PC. Also the PC can likely not change them.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-26, 11:42 AM
About the only major thing that you'll need to worry about is that items can be lost/taken away/etc. These upgrades can't be (I would think). So if the characters get captured, the wizard would still have access to their focus, etc.

LordEntrails
2017-12-26, 11:55 AM
As Unoriginal suggests, go check the book for "Boons" They are already in RAW. And generally they are considered more powerful than magical items for the reasons mentioned. Plus you have to account for the limits to attunement, which Boons traditionally don't have. And to account for "slots" such as giving two or three boons that would replace a two or three necklaces means the boons are much more powerful if you allow them to stack.

Nifft
2017-12-26, 11:57 AM
Magic items are optional anyway, therefore boons are assuredly fine insofar as the balance floor is concerned.

Be careful not to break the ceiling. :smallsmile:

lunaticfringe
2017-12-26, 12:24 PM
About the only major thing that you'll need to worry about is that items can be lost/taken away/etc. These upgrades can't be (I would think). So if the characters get captured, the wizard would still have access to their focus, etc.

Bah. Spellcasters are quite capable without a Focus anyway. Find a searchable 5e spell list like this one (https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/) and search spells without M components.

Everyone should a few solid options for when their Pouches & Foci get snatched.

MrStabby
2017-12-26, 01:15 PM
In my experience it works well. It feels more integrated than magic items and feels like character is developing more.

It also provides a great hook for building in game relationships - if working for a church gives you some thematic benefit there then players can probably be persuaded to play up their piety. If there are rewards to endurance than players may RP pushing their character to the limit outside of combat.

Willie the Duck
2017-12-26, 01:33 PM

My thoughts:--
Honestly, some quibbling about being able to lose magic items (although counterpoint--if your character dies, these permanent changes go away, while magic items may stay in the party), perhaps having to have a hand free to draw them, or attunement aside, this new category of character benefit isn't intrinsically different from magic items. They are just as good or bad as the equivalent effect in magic item form most of the time. Tattoo that is a +1 arcane focus? almost exactly the same as a +1 wand type item unless you are a sword and board eldritch knight/bladelock (or otherwise have restricted hands-free in combat). Darkvision-only vampirism? That's just attunement-free goggles of night most of the time. Gills? That's strong or weak depending on your campaign.

This is kind of a sub-theme of what I think I've seen a lot of people wrestle with. 5e is balanced such that you don't need the Christmas Tree of magic items/WBL treadmill of 3e, and lots of people hated what those things did to the game... ...but people also loved getting/handing out magic items in the treasure haul (and always have). And I think that's just fine. You just need to give out mostly expendables and/or ribbons. The minor magic items section from XGtE is a great starting point. And if some of these ribbons are in the form of permanent character effects--more power to 'em. Yay for variety. It's just that a powerful effect is a powerful effect, whatever the form it comes in.

Rfkannen
2017-12-26, 10:43 PM
Awesome! I'll have to take a look at books! What would you personally rather have as a playet, a item or a modification?

Dimers
2017-12-27, 12:51 AM
I prefer boons over items, because I think of heroism as coming from within. Or from some sort of patron, like a god or pact lord. But not from their trinkets.

Arcangel4774
2017-12-27, 01:32 AM
Most of the time character upgrades are cool and better, but dont get rid of magic items completely. Some people want awesome looking armor and weapons. Than theres the guy that has so many random objects and jewelry, some magic and some not, making for a fun character.

Phoenix042
2017-12-27, 02:57 AM
When my players set about defeating ra, the one-time-god-of-the-sun who now blights the desert he once ruled, I knew they needed something bigger and more special than a magic item as a reward if they succeeded.

Instead, when they defeated him, they were able to capture some of his essence and become immortal (read: ageless, not unkillable).

No effect on mechanical balance going forward. Huge payoff from an RP perspective.

Eunostus
2017-12-27, 04:01 AM
In my campaign I was considering letting an open hand monk player earn magical tattoos when he does good deeds in the name of his benign organization. He can choose the design of the tattoo himself, the effect stems from the arcane ink. I was thinking the first tattoo increases his maximum Ki, either by 1 or half his proficiency bonus. The second would increase his DC (for stunning strike and open hand techniques) by 1. Does that sound reasonable? He just became level 5.

BobZan
2017-12-27, 05:54 AM
In my campaign I was considering letting an open hand monk player earn magical tattoos when he does good deeds in the name of his benign organization. He can choose the design of the tattoo himself, the effect stems from the arcane ink. I was thinking the first tattoo increases his maximum Ki, either by 1 or half his proficiency bonus. The second would increase his DC (for stunning strike and open hand techniques) by 1. Does that sound reasonable? He just became level 5.

Oh boy, never increase Stunning Strike DC! My advice.

carrdrivesyou
2017-12-27, 07:18 AM
In my old 3.5 DM days, if a player was doing well at role-playing their character, and not just being a full on murder hobo, I would give them templates or thematically appropriate feats. Keep in mind however that I did this rarely and was not just a quest end reward. This is something I would get with them about after they had earned it, and talk to them about. That way, they get something they both want, can use, and fits the story.

Unfortunately, 5e does not have templates, and feats are a bit OP to just be handing out. I had considered something to the idea of what you thought of, in the form of some sort of magical/mystical boon; but have yet to follow through. There always is INSPIRATION though. Free advantage on any one roll could be critical to the story!

My ideas are as follows:
1. +1 to an Ability score.
2. +2 to Initiative
3. +2 Damage vs a specific enemy type
4. 1/day spell like ability
5. Ability to use a single cantrip
6. Minor upgrade to a current magic item
7. Darkvision (1/rest can see through magical darkness)
8. Minor custom magic item of their design (you get final approval anyways)
9. Aura of Whatever - basically, they grant a certain bonus to allies within a certain radius (could have uses per rest)
10. +X to a skill or just grant them proficiency