PDA

View Full Version : Jean Grey style Warlock

Gakm4
2017-12-26, 06:17 PM
I was thinking about making a warlock for an upcoming game and making its abilities themed around a jean grey or just a general phychic build.

It is a great old one tome warlock

I would have mage hand, vicious mockery, and eldritch blast as some of my cantrips for sure.

Hex, suggestion, fly, hold/dominate person, phychic scream are spells i would want for sure

Agonising blast, repelling blast, grasp of hadar, and the one that allows me to cast slow once a day are the invocations i would take.

What are some other spells and invocations that would fit a phychic theme and make it so the character is still viable?

Strangways
2017-12-26, 06:36 PM
I was thinking about making a warlock for an upcoming game and making its abilities themed around a jean grey or just a general phychic build.

It is a great old one tome warlock

I would have mage hand, vicious mockery, and eldritch blast as some of my cantrips for sure.

Hex, suggestion, fly, hold/dominate person, phychic scream are spells i would want for sure

Agonising blast, repelling blast, grasp of hadar, and the one that allows me to cast slow once a day are the invocations i would take.

What are some other spells and invocations that would fit a phychic theme and make it so the character is still viable?

I would think that Telekinesis is mandatory for a Jean Grey character.

Investiture of Flame would be thematic as well.

Gakm4
2017-12-26, 06:48 PM
Yeah i was planning on having telekinesis in there also just forgot to add that only the list.

Would you take investiture of flame over mass suggestion or true sesing?

Naanomi
2017-12-26, 06:54 PM
Lots of new psychic damage spells in XGtE

nickl_2000
2017-12-26, 09:11 PM
What about the catapult spell? That seems pretty fitting for someone with telekinesis.

Although I'm not sure if that's on the warlock spell list

Gakm4
2017-12-26, 10:44 PM
Lots of new psychic damage spells in XGtE
The damage type doesnt mean much to me as long as it fits the theme but i shall look more into those

What about the catapult spell? That seems pretty fitting for someone with telekinesis.

Although I'm not sure if that's on the warlock spell list
That is not on the warlock spell list but i wish it was

Strangways
2017-12-26, 11:47 PM
Yeah i was planning on having telekinesis in there also just forgot to add that only the list.

Would you take investiture of flame over mass suggestion or true sesing?

Warlocks know enough spells that you should be able to get them all. However, I'd be inclined to get the Witch Sight invocation eventually, for the always-on ability to see anyone concealed by illusion or transmutation magic, albeit only within 30'. It's not as good as Truesight, but it's permanently on, requires no concentration and doesn't take up one of your few, precious spell slots.

Raif
2017-12-27, 01:57 AM
I know you wanted a warlock, but have you thought of maybe using the Phoenix Sorcerer instead? I made a similar concept with that archetype and felt it was more in line with her.

Took spells like Telekinesis, Animate Objects, Mage Hand, Message, Disintegrate, Chromatic Orb (fire only), Magic Missile, Dominate Person. There are a few new spells like Mind Spike, Psychic Scream, and Synaptic Static that I would look at. There is also Detect Thoughts, Sunbeam (re-flavored to energy blasts), Immolation.

Gakm4
2017-12-27, 02:12 AM
Warlocks know enough spells that you should be able to get them all. However, I'd be inclined to get the Witch Sight invocation eventually, for the always-on ability to see anyone concealed by illusion or transmutation magic, albeit only within 30'. It's not as good as Truesight, but it's permanently on, requires no concentration and doesn't take up one of your few, precious spell slots.
Those are 6th lv spells that i was talking about and warlocks only get access to 1 6th level spell.
Witches sight woukd be good but with limited invocations to work with it is trying to make the best use of them which i havent decided yet

I know you wanted a warlock, but have you thought of maybe using the Phoenix Sorcerer instead? I made a similar concept with that archetype and felt it was more in line with her.

Took spells like Telekinesis, Animate Objects, Mage Hand, Message, Disintegrate, Chromatic Orb (fire only), Magic Missile, Dominate Person. There are a few new spells like Mind Spike, Psychic Scream, and Synaptic Static that I would look at. There is also Detect Thoughts, Sunbeam (re-flavored to energy blasts), Immolation.
The character is already set to be a warlock and the being able to move enemies on every turn with repelling blast and grasp of hadar is what initially gave me this idea along with the spell psychic scream (which is the name of an ability jean grey had in the game x-men legends).

odigity
2017-12-27, 03:07 AM
Perhaps: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mystic-class

Raif
2017-12-27, 04:33 AM
Those are 6th lv spells that i was talking about and warlocks only get access to 1 6th level spell.
Witches sight woukd be good but with limited invocations to work with it is trying to make the best use of them which i havent decided yet

The character is already set to be a warlock and the being able to move enemies on every turn with repelling blast and grasp of hadar is what initially gave me this idea along with the spell psychic scream (which is the name of an ability jean grey had in the game x-men legends).

Psychic Scream is available to Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard. Not just warlock.

I guess Eldritch Blast could be a stand in for telekinesis, but it's only in a straight line forward and backwards to and from you. Telekinesis is what you're really after and a warlock can't get that as it's a Sorcerer/Wizard spell. That spell will definitely give you the Jean Grey feel and power as EB cannot affect non-creatures and Telekinesis can. Will let you pick up stuff and throw it, affect the world around you, and give you the telekinetic power Jean Grey has. I'd say that it's pretty mandatory for a "Jean Grey".

A sorlock could have both (Warlock 2/sorcerer X), with the EB being her energy blasts. With re-flavoring GOO, you can play it as some powers are borrowed from the "Phoenix Force" some are her own which is how she is portrayed in recent comics.

Personally don't think that Great Old One will fit the Jean Grey theme, when I think GOO, I think Cthulu, but you can re-flavor it I guess. I'd say it's more of a Celestial Patron than GOO, but then you can't get Graps of Hadar.

Strangways
2017-12-27, 09:31 AM
Telekinesis is a 5th level spell and, although it’s not a base warlock spell, the Great Old One warlock has access to it.

Likewise with Detect Thoughts, it’s not a base warlock spell but Great Old One warlocks have access to it.

So, as a GOO warlock, you’ll have the telekinesis plus communicating telepathically (Awakened Mind combined with Detect Thoughts) that is the hallmark of the Jean Grey character.

Having said all that, I’m also inclined to think that sorcerer is a better fit for this character, if not pure sorcerer, then maybe Sorc X / Warlock 3.

Sorcerer doesn’t have the limited spell slot restriction that a warlock does, so you’ll actually be using your abilities more often. You’ll also get a built in, no concentration fly speed (assuming you choose the right sorcerous origin) which is Jean Grey-esque. With 3 levels of warlock you could get a couple of the push/pull invocations to move things around with Eldritch Blast, saving Telekinesis for when heavier or more sophisticated moves are required.

Gakm4
2017-12-27, 09:45 AM
I guess Eldritch Blast could be a stand in for telekinesis, but it's only in a straight line forward and backwards to and from you. Telekinesis is what you're really after and a warlock can't get that as it's a Sorcerer/Wizard spell. That spell will definitely give you the Jean Grey feel and power as EB cannot affect non-creatures and Telekinesis can. Will let you pick up stuff and throw it, affect the world around you, and give you the telekinetic power Jean Grey has. I'd say that it's pretty mandatory for a "Jean Grey".

A sorlock could have both (Warlock 2/sorcerer X), with the EB being her energy blasts. With re-flavoring GOO, you can play it as some powers are borrowed from the "Phoenix Force" some are her own which is how she is portrayed in recent comics.
EB has no size limitations on it so is could move any creature you come up against unlike telekinesis

My thought was less phoenix form more just a basic psychic character like jean grey was in the x-men movie released in 2000 and in the game x-men legends

Personally don't think that Great Old One will fit the Jean Grey theme, when I think GOO, I think Cthulu, but you can re-flavor it I guess. I'd say it's more of a Celestial Patron than GOO, but then you can't get Graps of Hadar.
I feel it fits a jean grey or psychic character well... awakend mind and thought shield as patron abilities with spells like detect thoughts, clairvoyance, sending, dominate person, and telekinesis as patron spells

My main issue with this character is trying to figure out what spells and invocations to take to bring it all together

Raif
2017-12-27, 10:17 AM
EB has no size limitations on it so is could move any creature you come up against unlike telekinesis

Yes, but it can't affect objects, so for example you can't push a tree or a boulder. You can't target anything that isn't a creature with EB.

My thought was less phoenix form more just a basic psychic character like jean grey was in the x-men movie released in 2000 and in the game x-men legends

I feel it fits a jean grey or psychic character well... awakend mind and thought shield as patron abilities with spells like detect thoughts, clairvoyance, sending, dominate person, and telekinesis as patron spells

My main issue with this character is trying to figure out what spells and invocations to take to bring it all together

While you certainly can, it will be limited and you will need to reflavor the text to be less Cthulu and not eldritch horror (which is easy enough) if you still want the Jean Grey Phoenix thing. For half of your career you will have 2 spell slots to cast these spells so you'll have to short rest frequently if you'd like to use your spells often. Unlike the proper full casters you don't have the ability to constant chain cast these spells, which is why warlocks have EB and AB (also why I'd recommend not a pure warlock). While you may have the spells, you won't be able to cast very often unless your DM/party is good with taking short rests, max of 2 per day. At max you can cast 6 spells per day not including mystic arcanums until level 10.

Invocations to consider:
Ascendant Step
Bewitching Whispers
Dreadful Word
Gaze of Two Minds
Mask of Many Faces
Mire the Mind
Misty Visions

Keep in mind, 2 of them are already taken from Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar. Assuming you'd also want to take Agonizing blast, you'll only have the ability to take from that list at level 7.

Spells to consider (quite a lot of them from the GOO spell list):
Dissonant Whispers
Detect Thoughts
Phantasmal Force
Clairvoyance
Sending
Dominate Beast
Dominate Person
Telekinesis
Mind Spike

Also remember you can only have 1 spell of each level 6-9 from mystic arcanum and they recharge on a long rest.