PDA

View Full Version : Template to turn Golem into Fey?

unseenmage
2017-12-26, 08:49 PM
Just as the title asks, have an idea, looking for a template to facilitate.

Will resort to Savage Species style ritual if I must but I would rather not.

Necroticplague
2017-12-26, 09:02 PM
Incarnate Construct+half-fey.

Crake
2017-12-26, 09:07 PM
Incarnate Construct+half-fey.

Incarnate is acquired and half fey is inherited, so you cannot have an incarnate half fey, since inherited templates must be applied first, and a construct doesn't qualify for half fey. The only other template I'm aware of that changes a creature's type to fey is the unseelie fey template. It is not inherited, so it could be added to an incarnate construct, but it's also dragon compendium material, and is thus not necessarily going to be allowed at a table (although if you're a DM, this isn't a problem).

Necroticplague
2017-12-26, 09:19 PM
Incarnate+Wendigo, then. That's FF, so more possible. Mirage Mullah (sandstorm) and Telthor (Underdark) also goes humanoid to fey, but I'm AFB, so I can't recall if those are acquired or not.

Venger
2017-12-26, 09:25 PM
if you're taking class levels, then:
spirit shaman 20
10th lvl swanmay
10th lvl rimefire witch
9th lvl wildrunner

unseenmage
2017-12-26, 10:20 PM
Hmmm, according to this list (https://web.archive.org/web/20170108052749/http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12219.0) there isn't much in the way of Construct type changers.

Of my fallback 3rd party templates Amalgam makes anything added to a Construct into a Construct.

Monstrous Lycanthrope works kinda, would need to be a were-fey that magically inflicted were-fey upon a Golem...
But then the result is still a Construct.

Anthrowhale
2017-12-26, 10:29 PM
Telthor is acquired to Incarnate Construct + Telthor works.

Telthor however binds you to be within one mile of a location or take 1 damage/minute.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-26, 10:35 PM
Incarnate+Wendigo, then. That's FF, so more possible. Mirage Mullah (sandstorm) and Telthor (Underdark) also goes humanoid to fey, but I'm AFB, so I can't recall if those are acquired or not.
It sometimes alarms me that, not only is there an answer to a bizarre question like this one, but the forum spits it out inside of an hour.

unseenmage
2017-12-26, 11:03 PM
It sometimes alarms me that, not only is there an answer to a bizarre question like this one, but the forum spits it out inside of an hour.

Is why I'm here. :)

Alternatively to Incarnate Construct does using Greater Humanoid Essence open up any avenues?
Am doubtful since both just change to Humanoid.

daremetoidareyo
2017-12-27, 12:27 AM
aspect of the wolf grants animal type. Just permenancy that or dip yourself in quintessence. Then telthor or wendigo. Then disjunction or dispel the aspect of wolf.

if you need an int score, there is a polymorph spell in complete scoundrel that grants you owl form and an int of 2. Permenancy that

Crake
2017-12-27, 06:14 AM

Mirage mullah, and apparently telthor too, both are acquired, but also both tie you to a location, which may not be very useful for the idea in mind. I know mirage mullah ties you to an oasis, dunno about telthor.

Wendigo could work, though it does make some pretty drastic changes to the creature.

ShurikVch
2017-12-27, 06:27 AM
This article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060407a) suggests you can make a Flesh Golem with inclusion of Fey bodies, thus making it "Half-Fey"

Ravens_cry
2017-12-27, 06:47 PM
This article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060407a) suggests you can make a Flesh Golem with inclusion of Fey bodies, thus making it "Half-Fey"
And it also more or less says 'This breaks the rules, but we're doing it anyway to see if anything interesting pops up'.

ShurikVch
2017-12-27, 07:31 PM
And it also more or less says 'This breaks the rules, but we're doing it anyway to see if anything interesting pops up'.Well, with the name "Creatures That Cannot Be" - it's kinda obvious
I mentioned it because most of good options were already pointed

Apparently, the last possible option is Soulfused Construct + Unseelie Fey

atemu1234
2017-12-28, 12:41 AM
Well, with the name "Creatures That Cannot Be" - it's kinda obvious
I mentioned it because most of good options were already pointed

Apparently, the last possible option is Soulfused Construct + Unseelie Fey

Good article, surprised I haven't really seen it before.

It might be nice to know what the goal of this character is, build-wise, so that we can suggest templates that best fit the design of such a creature?

Afgncaap5
2017-12-28, 02:45 AM
Is this for a PC or an NPC? If an NPC, I'd be an advocate of using something homebrewed. The warforged might be curiously good bases for "fairy-constructs", for instance, particularly if you can give them a weakness to cold iron. Similarly, the rebellious Modrons from that one Dragon Magazine issue have a very fairy tale-ish look to them while still definitely being living constructs (admittedly, fairies of a "Wizard of Oz illustration" or "jim Henson presents Labyrinth" variety.)

(Homebrew isn't always ideal, admittedly, but I'm a fan. I've started incorporating "tags" as creature sub-types and mini-templates in my games, so if I want something to count as a goblin or fairy or pirate or robot or noble family member or seventh son of a seventh son or whatever I can just have it "be that way" with less in the way of paperwork while still having more times when I can tell players that their precious favored enemy bonuses count.)

unseenmage
2017-12-28, 05:54 AM
Is this for a PC or an NPC? ...

It might be nice to know what the goal of this character is, build-wise, so that we can suggest templates that best fit the design of such a creature?
Both and neither?

Am strongly considering an NPC golem whose animating spirit is a fey who got too curious at the
exact wrong moment and now has this maddening arcanery wrapped around it. Oil and water but the ritual was not to be denied and now the water is trapped and angry.

Havnt seen a suggestion yet that has gotten my player side's creativity going but I'm keeping an eye out.

ShurikVch
2017-12-28, 01:00 PM
Note: Tree-Friend is a 5-level long PrC (Dragon #307), and - as a capstone - changes Type to Fey (Dryad Apotheosis)

Buufreak
2017-12-29, 03:10 PM
Mirage mullah, and apparently telthor too...

Where might a friendly humanoid on the interwebs find these two?

Anthrowhale
2017-12-29, 03:29 PM

Telthor is from Unapproachable East if I recall correctly. It's an incorporeal fey humanoid or animal.

Venger
2017-12-29, 08:46 PM

mirage mullah is from sandstorm

Afgncaap5
2017-12-29, 08:53 PM
Both and neither?

Am strongly considering an NPC golem whose animating spirit is a fey who got too curious at the
exact wrong moment and now has this maddening arcanery wrapped around it. Oil and water but the ritual was not to be denied and now the water is trapped and angry.

Havnt seen a suggestion yet that has gotten my player side's creativity going but I'm keeping an eye out.

Hmm... well, if you're not opposed to homebrewing a bit, there's a Dwarven Statue in one of the monster manuals that technically counts as an outsider instead of a construct by virtue of the statue being brought to life by ancestral spirits. A construct "husk" for a creature that's technically a fey is arguably within the same realm of capability of that.

Sian
2017-12-30, 12:15 PM
Incarnate is acquired and half fey is inherited, so you cannot have an incarnate half fey, since inherited templates must be applied first, and a construct doesn't qualify for half fey. The only other template I'm aware of that changes a creature's type to fey is the unseelie fey template. It is not inherited, so it could be added to an incarnate construct, but it's also dragon compendium material, and is thus not necessarily going to be allowed at a table (although if you're a DM, this isn't a problem).

what would happen if the Incarnate construct procreated with a fey if not an Half-Fey Incarnate Construct ? ... Sure, its a bit clunky, but certainly possible even with minor doses of handwavium