PDA

View Full Version : DM Help creative help required for a problem in the Curse of Strahd adventure

Red Bear
2017-12-26, 10:59 PM
I have this player who really wanted to play an undead character with his soul trapped in a painting like dorian gray, but the opposite in the sense that at the moment he is very old and the painting is young. He was found by the other players in Barovia and doesn't remember anything about his life, not even his name. The player asked me to invent a back story for him that he can slowly discover while playing. Since he insisted I agreed to this but now I can't come up with a backstory and I'm looking for ideas. So I was thinking something like that he made a dorian gray deal to remain young and then somehow he received a curse that inverted the thing, but I'm not sure how to tie this to the Barovian history and NPCs.
Any ideas? can you help me?

(I don't think it matters but for the record I'm playing 5th edition)

DeTess
2017-12-27, 05:36 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular ap, but might it be possible to twist this particular trope on its head?

The associated painting is actually draining his youth to power a paired painting of someone else that grants youth. The pc wilk have to track this other person down an deal with him to get his stolen years back.

Red Bear
2017-12-27, 07:28 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular ap, but might it be possible to twist this particular trope on its head?

The associated painting is actually draining his youth to power a paired painting of someone else that grants youth. The pc wilk have to track this other person down an deal with him to get his stolen years back.

this is a nice idea, I could use it, thank you for your answer

Mutazoia
2017-12-28, 03:07 AM
The painting works like a Lich's Phylactery. When that character dies, his soul is whisked back into it. The only way out, is for some schmuck to look at the painting. When they do, the character's soul takes over their body, and the image of the painting changes to look like that person (at the time the viewed the painting). Maybe the character was a powerful wizard, or maybe he cut a deal with a demon...what ever works (since we know nothing about the characters class choice). The only way out, is for some new schmuck to look at the painting. The same rule for Dorian holds true for the character...he can't look at the painting himself...doing so would cause a magical feedback loop that would destroy the painting, and his soul in the process.

The character has been in his current body for decades...long enough to become an old man. He wakes up one day, after a fight (magical or otherwise...at least partially magical) with the relatives of the person who's body he's currently possessing. He won the fight, but the off-shoot was that the victory cost him his memories.

Every now and then, NPCs can track him down and try to capture him (either to try to free their relative in the painting, or try to steal his power for themselves), and he can learn a little more about his old self in the process....

Red Bear
2017-12-28, 01:58 PM
The painting works like a Lich's Phylactery. When that character dies, his soul is whisked back into it. The only way out, is for some schmuck to look at the painting. When they do, the character's soul takes over their body, and the image of the painting changes to look like that person (at the time the viewed the painting). Maybe the character was a powerful wizard, or maybe he cut a deal with a demon...what ever works (since we know nothing about the characters class choice). The only way out, is for some new schmuck to look at the painting. The same rule for Dorian holds true for the character...he can't look at the painting himself...doing so would cause a magical feedback loop that would destroy the painting, and his soul in the process.

The character has been in his current body for decades...long enough to become an old man. He wakes up one day, after a fight (magical or otherwise...at least partially magical) with the relatives of the person who's body he's currently possessing. He won the fight, but the off-shoot was that the victory cost him his memories.

Every now and then, NPCs can track him down and try to capture him (either to try to free their relative in the painting, or try to steal his power for themselves), and he can learn a little more about his old self in the process....

Very interesting, I like where this is going, thank you very much for your answer, I never considered the idea that it's not his body, very nice.

Spookykid
2017-12-28, 02:13 PM
Maybe he got hosed by one of the dark powers, check the dark gifts they can offer.
There are some really interesting things you could use.

Red Bear
2017-12-28, 07:02 PM
Maybe he got hosed by one of the dark powers, check the dark gifts they can offer.
There are some really interesting things you could use.

yeah I thought I should involve the Dark Powers somehow

SirGraystone
2017-12-29, 08:49 AM
I'll try to explain my idea without too many spoilers.

His name was Lazlo Ulrich, he was burgomaster of the village of Berez a long time ago, he was killed by Strahd and his soul trap into painting as punishment (You can read chapter 10 to see how he angered Strahd).

He's somewhat link to Ireena Kolyana because of what happened to Marina, returning each time Tatanya does with only glimpse of his old memories.

The painting would in Castle Ravenloft of course.

Red Bear
2018-01-05, 07:40 PM
I'll try to explain my idea without too many spoilers.

His name was Lazlo Ulrich, he was burgomaster of the village of Berez a long time ago, he was killed by Strahd and his soul trap into painting as punishment (You can read chapter 10 to see how he angered Strahd).

He's somewhat link to Ireena Kolyana because of what happened to Marina, returning each time Tatanya does with only glimpse of his old memories.

The painting would in Castle Ravenloft of course.

I'm the DM so you can spoil everything... thank you for your answer, I think I'm starting to develop a good consistent background story