PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help with an Npc

LordWolfKnight
2017-12-26, 11:27 PM
I am having trouble making an npc who is more or less a templar. I looked into paladin, cleric, and crusader, but am not finding what I want. I also looked into knight, but that just sucks imo. I like the idea of maneuvers and thought warblade, but cant find something that goes well with it for my purposes. It is a gestalt game and while i have seen many builds, I am not finding one that fits the bill.

What I want is a character who fights living constructs (warforged) with extreme abilities. Ranger would work for favored enemy, but the lack of armor is an issue. Ideally what I want is a heavily armored, good bab, high critical, focused on living constructs. He would need to be able to make multiple attacks per round and deal decent damage. Any ideas?

Venger
2017-12-27, 01:20 AM
I am having trouble making an npc who is more or less a templar. I looked into paladin, cleric, and crusader, but am not finding what I want. I also looked into knight, but that just sucks imo. I like the idea of maneuvers and thought warblade, but cant find something that goes well with it for my purposes. It is a gestalt game and while i have seen many builds, I am not finding one that fits the bill.

What I want is a character who fights living constructs (warforged) with extreme abilities. Ranger would work for favored enemy, but the lack of armor is an issue. Ideally what I want is a heavily armored, good bab, high critical, focused on living constructs. He would need to be able to make multiple attacks per round and deal decent damage. Any ideas?

Go ranger for at leat a little bit to get fe and twf, and then do standard critfishery (lightning mace warblade, tiger claw, etc) especially if you've got the power boost from gestalt

since it's an npc and it seems like you're committing hate crimes against warforged, weaponize your racism through murderous intent to ignore their fortification and automatically confirm all your crits.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-12-27, 02:27 AM
Sworn Slayer in Dragon 324 p80 would probably be a fitting choice, but it's only 5 levels.

There's a regional feat in PGtF called Foe Hunter which gives Favored Enemy regarding a specific creature type/subtype based on the character's home region. I'm sure you could use a variant of that to give this NPC constructs as a favored enemy. With this he could probably even take a single level of Ranger to increase that to +4, keep Track but trade Wild Empathy for Voice of the City (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) if it wouldn't be fitting.

LordWolfKnight
2017-12-27, 10:32 AM
The warforged are not normal citizens in this game. They were created by an evil crafter who is trying to prove that his abilities to make things are more powerful than those of regular citizens and armies. Being created by this crafter, they take on an evil outlook where all creatures are inferior to them and must be controlled/enslaved to serve their creator. So, while it is a hate crime in its basic form, it is for the good of the world/kingdom.

I will take levels in ranger and warblade like @Venger suggested, but will need more help with later levels. Foe hunter could work as it does give me a boost to favored enemy. I will have to look into sworn slayer and see what that brings to the concept.