PDA

View Full Version : Booming Blade + Resounding Strike

JohnStone
2017-12-27, 01:24 PM
I was looking at the cleric Zeal Domain and noticed you can push a creature back 10' every time you deal thunder damage. Using booming blade I can do this fairly reliably. Particularly with Polearm Master and Warcaster. I do have some questions about how this interacts with other abilities though. (Note: lvl 10 build 9Cleric/1Sorc)

Divine Strike: Can I add my Divine strike damage on my turn if I use Booming Blade.

Forced Movement: I push the target back 10' I know the forced movement doesn't trigger Booming Blade. But will the effect remain for when it moves again? Can the target continue its movement that turn after I push it back?

Sea Sorcerer "Curse of the Sea": Would this apply to this case since the cantrip is causing the forced movement through a class feature?

When you choose this origin at 1st level, you learn the secret of infusing your spells with a watery curse. When you hit a creature with a cantrip’s attack or when a creature fails a saving throw against your cantrip, you can curse the target until the end of your next turn or until you curse a different creature with this feature.

Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends

Forced Movement. If the target is moved by your spell, increase the distance it is moved by 15 feet.

Would this apply to this case since the cantrip is causing the forced movement through a class feature?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-27, 01:27 PM
I was looking at the cleric Zeal Domain and noticed you can push a creature back 10' every time you deal thunder damage. Using booming blade I can do this fairly reliably. Particularly with Polearm Master and Warcaster. I do have some questions about how this interacts with other abilities though. (Note: lvl 10 build 9Cleric/1Sorc)

Divine Strike: Can I add my Divine strike damage on my turn if I use Booming Blade.

Forced Movement: I push the target back 10' I know the forced movement doesn't trigger Booming Blade. But will the effect remain for when it moves again? Can the target continue its movement that turn after I push it back?

Sea Sorcerer "Curse of the Sea": Would this apply to this case since the cantrip is causing the forced movement through a class feature?

When you choose this origin at 1st level, you learn the secret of infusing your spells with a watery curse. When you hit a creature with a cantrip’s attack or when a creature fails a saving throw against your cantrip, you can curse the target until the end of your next turn or until you curse a different creature with this feature.

Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends

Forced Movement. If the target is moved by your spell, increase the distance it is moved by 15 feet.

Would this apply to this case since the cantrip is causing the forced movement through a class feature?

Divine Strike: You are hitting with a weapon attack, so this will work.

Forced movement: Yes, the Booming Blade effect would continue until either the end of the creature's turn or they willingly moved.

Curse of the Sea: Seems like it would work.

Edit: However, keep in mind that while PAM will allow you to make an OA when a creature enters your reach, if you are using a Reach weapon, you will also need Spell Sniper to allow you to cast Booming Blade on a creature that moves to within 10 feet of you. BB has a defined range of 5', which doesn't change just because you're wielding a Reach weapon.

Seekergeek
2017-12-27, 02:05 PM
I’ve played this exact build, and while hella fun, like any other one trick pony it got a bit old for both me and my DM eventually. One big upside is that Zeal’s expanded spell list gave me lots to do outside the typical cleric options anyway.

JohnStone
2017-12-27, 03:29 PM
Well I am going to be playing a one shot, solo campaign. possibly with NPC help. So that should alleviate some of those problems.
I looked at the Domain spells and your right they look fun.

Any advice for the build? What diety did you worship?
(EDIT: just found the god stronmaus so looks like ill go Goliath)

I was thinking Goliath (though brawny human is pretty much the same), or Half-orc because we are starting with a 16.14,13,12,10,8 array.
I might decide against Polearm master and just hammer away on my turn and take whatever OAs I get.

obviously there are a ton of good spell options, any particularly good combos?

borg286
2017-12-27, 04:28 PM
Consider coordinating with another player to optimize on opportunity attacks through spells like command (paladin and cleric, with a pinch of other subclasses) and dissonant whispers. This lets you drop polearm master (which would have either required quarterstaff or spell sniper) and upgrade to a bigger stick.
Consider the Stone sorcerer and using the Aegis on a frontliner ally to leave your Boomed foes stuck where they are.
I highly recommend using Sorcerer 6 so you have enough metamagic to twin it. This kind of build is more defendery than one-trick pony "I'm sure to get in this extra damage"
Being sorcerer you can also twin haste, or if you go sorcerer 7 then twin greater invisibility and quicken BB + twin BB to get 3 foes stuck trying to guess what squares the front-liners are in.