PDA

View Full Version : Vow of Poverty and Apostle of Peace

Zerohour
2017-12-27, 06:06 PM
Rereading Book of Exalted Deeds, and saw that the Apostile of Peace had Vow of Poverty as requirement. Not really an issue until I saw the description in the books said they could use defensive magical items (bracers or armor, ring of resistance, etc.) Since this directly conflicts with Vow of Poverty, I'm trying to figure out how that's supposed to work.

Possibilities:

-Vow of Poverty is not supposed to be a prerequisite.

-They should have removed the ability to use magical items from the Apostle of Peace

-The Apostle has a special exception to the Vow of Poverty, allowing them to use defensive magical items.

I seriously doubt that the third one is meant to be an option, and I'm currently debating between the first two options, leaning towards Vow of Poverty not being a prerequisite, but I would prefer a second opinion on this.

Thanks in advance.

Pex
2017-12-27, 06:57 PM
When the prestige class was created the designer had forgotten or didn't know the Vow forbade all magic items. It was an error at creation.

Jormengand
2017-12-27, 07:19 PM
Technically, but ridiculously, the apostle of peace can use but not own defensive magical items. This generally doesn't make any difference, though, since you're not allowed to "Just borrow" them from your party for an extended time anyway.

Pleh
2017-12-27, 07:37 PM
At my table, I would say option 3.

Then they could requisition the suitable equipment from the church. They don't own it, so the vow isn't broken.

I would rule it not in violation of the "no borrowing" clause due to the fact that an Apostle of Peace is almost no different in being considered merely an instrument of the church/deity. "Keep it in-house."

So far as RAW, specific trumps general. AoP seems to suggest they have a specific exception to VoP, such that they may use, though not own, magic items that grant enhancement bonus to AC (but grant no other bonus).

So, since they use church equipment, they are responsible for returning it in prestine condition or replacing it with equivalent value if necessary. They don't own it, nor can they borrow something that has been allocated to their stewardship.

Fouredged Sword
2017-12-28, 06:42 AM
Specific trumps general. An AoP can use defensive items. It is a loosening of the vow specific to that character class much like a greyguard loosens a paladin's code requirement.

Zerohour
2017-12-28, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Option three seems strange, but it does en up a few possibilities. Probably will restrict the item use to missions for the good of the church, to keep it in line with its intentions, but that just gives me a set of NPCs the players would care about to toy with.