PDA

View Full Version : input wanted regarding character progression (3.5)

skunk3
2017-12-27, 08:01 PM
First I just want to note that this character is not heavily optimized, so I know there are some less-than-ideal decisions made thus far and into the future. I am just posting this because I want someone to bounce ideas off of me.

We started at level 1 and are currently level 11. We will be playing past 20 but not exactly sure how far into epic we will go. Here is the progression thus far:

Warlock 3 / Cleric 3 / Eldritch Disciple 4

I intend to take 10 levels in ED and max it out there. That leaves me with 4 levels. I of course want Hellfire Warlock, so that will be another 3 levels. At that point I will have 16 effective levels in Warlock and 12 effective levels of Cleric.

My invocations are:

Eldritch Spear
See The Unseen
Entropic Warding
Fell Flight

Other abilities (current):
At-wil Detect Magic (from Warlock Class)
Healing Blast (ED gift ability)
Damage Reduction (ED gift ability)

Feats:
Precise Magic (basically a houseruled "Precise Shot" except it can apply to magical attacks)
Spell Penetration
Mortal Bane
Greater Spell Penetration
Practiced Spellcaster (Divine)

Invocations I plan on taking from effective Warlock progression (in order):
Flee The Scene, Hellrime or Brimstone blast (required for HFW, sadly...which is a better pick? I am leaving towards Hellrime blast), Vitriolic Blast, Chilling Tentacles, Nightmares Made Real, Word of Changing

Feats I plan on taking (in order):
Extra invocation: Walk Unseen (I'm aware I can retrain this when I can afford an all-day flight item)
Extra Invocation: Caustic Mire
Extra Invocation: Painful Slumber of the Ages

As far as what I'm going to pick at level 20, I am thinking Cleric but how useful would it be for me to take another level of Warlock and get Deceive Item?

I decided not to select any blast shapes or essences as invocation choices since I can buy Rods of Eldritch Power. Sure, they are limited to 5 uses per day and can be kinda pricey for the higher-end ones, but I'd rather go that route and use my gained invocations for things that are useful. As you can see, I am taking 3 AOE invocations. Chilling Tentacles is pretty much a must-have, but the other two? Not so great, but I can spam them ALL DAY LONG.

If you have any suggestions as to what would be better choices, please let me know.

For the record, our party consists of myself (human), a human fighter, a halfling rogue, and a satyr druid/sorcerer. I am pretty sure that guy is taking some sort of PrC that combines the two but I have no idea what it would be. I am not trying to be the star of the show, I just wanna be helpful and versatile, with an emphasis on survivability.

Thanks!

skunk3
2017-12-27, 09:54 PM
Depending on how useful Deceive Item can be, I might take another Warlock level, but I don't know when I should take it. My options past 20 are based on how far we actually go. I know that I will wanna max out divine spellcasting up to 9th level spells, but should I go with Cleric or is there a cool PrC out there that will advance my divine spellcasting that I qualify for, or will easily qualify for? Aside from the divine spellcasting I think that Enlightened Spirit is a perfect choice thematically for my character as he is good and utterly devoted to destroying evil outsiders and undead. I know the PrC kinda sucks but it does advance my EB and gives me a few new blast types. Thoughts, anyone??