PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Optimization

agnos
2017-12-27, 11:22 PM
Currently going through CoS in AL. I just leveled to 8, currently I’m a sword and board Paladin (vengeance) 6 Warlock (Hexblade) 1. I’m not sure where exactly I want to go with the build. I know I want at least 3 levels of Sorceror at some point for Quicken and increased casting/smiting. I’d like 2-5 of Warlock for added slots, Pact, and invocations. The question is should I head towards 13/4/3 P/S/W or 6/7/6 P/S/W? I want to be able to self cast Haste as a bonus or maybe Twin it in some cases.Also what Sorceror archetype should I head to? Remember it’s AL so PHB and Xanathar’s only. Currently have Elvish Accuracy for my ASI.

sithlordnergal
2017-12-27, 11:29 PM
Sooo, personally I would go warlock 3 for the invocations, then Sorcerer for the rest of your levels. That will net you a decent number of spell slots, sorcery points, and such.

Tikkun
2017-12-28, 12:05 AM
I assume you are going Pact of the Blade to reduce MAD. More levels in Sorcerer are always more useful then Warlock once you have your extra attack from another source. As to which Sorcerer archetype, I would suggest Shadow Sorcerer as it is quite thematic with Hexblade. If you are using the Devil Sight/Darkness route for your fighting it will also free up one of your invocations (drop devil sight and take Improved Pact Weapon) and also a spell slot. The Shadow Sorcerer has a unique mechanic which gives you a form of devil sight and darkness for the cost of 2 Sorcery Points (so you can save those spell slots for smiting). You are an elf type--having spent an ASI on Elven Accuracy--so you want to raise your CHA as high, and as quickly, as possible so it can fuel your attacks--both melee and spell- wise, though casting spells will be at the low end of your priorities until you can grab either Resilient CON/War Caster feats.

agnos
2017-12-28, 01:52 AM
If I end up going Warlock 5, I’d likely go Blade mostly for double smites and/or smiting to activate Elvish Accuracy. If I go less, I’d probably opt for chain/tome for familiar to help.

I really want to avoid relying on Darkness for advantage. I really want to be using Haste or Hunter’s Mark/Hex.

PeteNutButter
2017-12-28, 02:37 AM
Unless you plan on continuing this character after CoS, you won't ever cast haste. It'll end before you pick up 5 sorcerer levels.

My current AL character is in ToA, quite similar, Paladin 6/Hexblade 3. For me it made sense to take improved pact weapon, since it works with my current weapon. It may not be so helpful to you, depending on what you've found so far. I know I'll take my 4th level in warlock for the ASI to cap cha, and then probably the 5th level for double smiting on crits and 3rd level slots.

After that I'm not sure either. Sorcerer is tempting, but without access to quickened BB/GFB, it's really not as big of a buff. You might find that you'll do more with Paladin 11. This is especially true if another regular can cast haste. Swords Bard is another option, offering a great combat boost, along with MOAR AC. But it also takes 5 levels to fully come online, via short rest recharge. I'm even considering fighter for defense style, and cavalier to put my tankiness to better use.

Whatever you pick, rest easy knowing that the base chassis of the character is already very very strong, so you really can't go wrong.

JoyfulJester
2017-12-28, 08:44 AM
I'd suggest going lvl 8 paladin at a minimum to get your aura and asi. Beyond that anything is gravy really. I agree with others that more lvls in sorcerer is beneficial. You could even stop at 2 lvls of warlock as pact doesn't really add much that you need. You get your second warlock spell slot and invocations already.

BobZan
2017-12-28, 08:54 AM
Go Warlock 5 for Cloak of Flies and better smites/sr

Talionis
2017-12-28, 06:22 PM
Improved Smite at Paladin 11 is worth considering since it adds damage to each attack.

Haste is usually a big Paladin spell, but Sorcerer can pick that up as well. Sorcerer will accelerate your smite slots faster than anything else.

You might also consider Bard casting rather than Sorcerer. 6 levels of Lore Bard gives you a lot of options for Spell Mysteries from any class list. The rest of the Bard package is interesting. So this should be a competitive option as well.