PDA

View Full Version : Spell combos and questions

Siah5
2017-12-28, 02:48 AM
Im a lvl 4 wizard and im trying to be supportive utility based for the team and had few questions. One if i came across a water elemental can i use shape water to freeze it? It lets you freeze water into normal ice. Second if i used find familiar and summon a hawk and had it fly 100 feet from me to a cliff 30feet away can i misty step to it?. Also if i was to teleport into a creatures stomach by sending arcane eye and then misty step would i be considered grappeled or just be taken acid damage?. Was debateing use thunderwave inside it and pushing the organs around or sending electricaty up through the body to brain. Yes im lvl 4 getting ready for game day lol.

Quoz
2017-12-28, 03:16 AM
In D&D, an all table top RPGs to varying degrees, the rules will only get you so far. When you try to improvise and think up novel uses for spells like this it can be very rewarding and entertaining, but the guidelines are fuzzy at best and a lot comes down to GM rulings and how flexible your group is.

As to your specifics, here are my reads. Your table may vary.
1. Shape water against a water elemental. By the book, this is a non damage centric, and cannot be used to trap a creature. But I like the creativity, so I would probably let you try it as a ranged grapple of sorts. (off the cuff, definitely not a legal ruling) Make an intelligence (arcana) check, opposed by athletics or acrobatics. If successful, the target is restrained. It may attempt to break the effect each turn as an action against your save DC.

2. Familiar deliver touch spells. I would not let them be used as a relay to extend a range like that, but I would let you use them for seeing around an obstacle to something otherwise in range (you still need to take the action to use its senses). You could also maybe use enlarge/reduce to either grow your familiar or shrink yourself to the point where your familiar can carry you.

3. Barring extraordinary circumstances, I'm going to say you shouldn't be able to teleport into most creatures. Using scrying to see inside is novel enough I might allow it if the anatomy is large enough to fit you easily. Once inside, I would say the condition is probably restrained with acid damage, but since no creature will be attacking you it is unlikely to matter. I'm probably also going to limit what attacks are available to light weapons and spells. I would say auto fail on dex saves, but you are also going to be in most AoE spells and also take damage. Choose your spells wisely.

I like the way your mind works on these situations. Keep your GM on his toes, this is where the most memorable moments happen.

Talamare
2017-12-28, 03:35 AM
OFFICIAL RAW!!!! Basically states everything does as they say. So no, you can't use Shape Water on your Water Elemental...

However most DMs don't play official RAW and might allow you to get some benefits from it.

So, it 100% depends on your DM.
I suggest try it, maybe he will save something like... Okay it will do a Con Save to resist your Freezing attempts or It is slowed down by it or No, that spell doesn't work like that.

-shrugs-

Siah5
2017-12-28, 03:45 AM
In D&D, an all table top RPGs to varying degrees, the rules will only get you so far. When you try to improvise and think up novel uses for spells like this it can be very rewarding and entertaining, but the guidelines are fuzzy at best and a lot comes down to GM rulings and how flexible your group is.

As to your specifics, here are my reads. Your table may vary.
1. Shape water against a water elemental. By the book, this is a non damage centric, and cannot be used to trap a creature. But I like the creativity, so I would probably let you try it as a ranged grapple of sorts. (off the cuff, definitely not a legal ruling) Make an intelligence (arcana) check, opposed by athletics or acrobatics. If successful, the target is restrained. It may attempt to break the effect each turn as an action against your save DC.

2. Familiar deliver touch spells. I would not let them be used as a relay to extend a range like that, but I would let you use them for seeing around an obstacle to something otherwise in range (you still need to take the action to use its senses). You could also maybe use enlarge/reduce to either grow your familiar or shrink yourself to the point where your familiar can carry you.

3. Barring extraordinary circumstances, I'm going to say you shouldn't be able to teleport into most creatures. Using scrying to see inside is novel enough I might allow it if the anatomy is large enough to fit you easily. Once inside, I would say the condition is probably restrained with acid damage, but since no creature will be attacking you it is unlikely to matter. I'm probably also going to limit what attacks are available to light weapons and spells. I would say auto fail on dex saves, but you are also going to be in most AoE spells and also take damage. Choose your spells wisely.

I like the way your mind works on these situations. Keep your GM on his toes, this is where the most memorable moments happen.

What if misty steps a bonus action then would i be able to use my familiar?

Talamare
2017-12-28, 04:15 AM
Player "I misty step inside the beast!"
Next Turn...
Player "I cast Thunderwave to BLOW IT UP!"
DM "The beast groans for a moment before unleashing the LOUDEST BELCH OF ALL TIME!!! The Belch is so loud that every thing in a 15 ft Cone infront of him must make a Con saving throw or suffer 1d8 damage and be pushed 5ft... but you find that your spell that has the effect of just making a really loud noise did NOT cause him to explode... As well as since the sound was mostly muted from you being inside of him, he will have resistance to the damage."

Remember... Thunder Wave involves Zero Electricity~

Quoz
2017-12-28, 04:32 AM

The only spells you can cast through your familiar are ones with a range of touch. Familiar will not extend the range of your spell, but in some situations you can use them to see a target or location to fulfil the sight requirement.

One exception to this is companions (namely find steed and a beastmasters animal companion) with share spells trait. Any self target spell will target the companion in addition for free. Wouldn't help in this specific case, but things like dragons breath or wrathful smite get a lot more utility.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-28, 04:47 AM
One if i came across a water elemental can i use shape water to freeze it? It lets you freeze water into normal ice.

The text of the spell says: "within a 5-foot cube" and "You freeze the water, provided that there are no creatures in it." I'd say that either of those criteria would explicitly rule out using it to attack elementals. Besides, the water elemental already has this built right into its stat block: "Freeze. If the elemental takes cold damage, it partially freezes; its speed is reduced by 20 feet until the end of its next turn."

Shape water isn't strong enough to deal even 1 point of ice damage. If you want to freeze up an elemental, just use frostbite or ray of frost like everyone else.

Siah5
2017-12-28, 05:02 AM
Thank you all for the replys

hymer
2017-12-28, 05:20 AM

Misty Step's arrival area needs to be visible to the caster, and an unoccupied space.

BobZan
2017-12-28, 07:30 AM
Use Dragon's Breath on your familiar and profit. RAW and awesome.

Vaz
2017-12-28, 07:50 AM
Levitate can be used to disable a non flying enemy while outside, bonus points if they have no Ranged attacks. Combine this with a party druid and you can rain down Moonbeam damage. For rule of cool purloses, I'd allow a Sharpshooter character to forgo the damage boost to disarm the levitated character.

The_Jette
2017-12-28, 11:46 AM
Player "I misty step inside the beast!"
Next Turn...
Player "I cast Thunderwave to BLOW IT UP!"
DM "The beast groans for a moment before unleashing the LOUDEST BELCH OF ALL TIME!!! The Belch is so loud that every thing in a 15 ft Cone infront of him must make a Con saving throw or suffer 1d8 damage and be pushed 5ft... but you find that your spell that has the effect of just making a really loud noise did NOT cause him to explode... As well as since the sound was mostly muted from you being inside of him, he will have resistance to the damage."

Remember... Thunder Wave involves Zero Electricity~

So, your response to using a damaging spell inside an enemy is to negate the damage done to the enemy, and instead let it channel the damage to potentially attack the party? Or, would it still take the damage, with the addition of the cone being an unforeseen consequence? If it's the former, I'd be a little irritated that the creature didn't at least take the damage that it would have if I'd been on the outside. If the latter, that doesn't seem terrible. I could see myself going for that. Add to that the creature doesn't get a save against the damage, but doesn't have to worry about the shunting part (to avoid the explosion), and it seems fair. Although, it'd be a fun addition that if the damage does enough to kill the creature it really does explode into ludicrous gibs.

Vaz
2017-12-28, 04:02 PM
So, your response to using a damaging spell inside an enemy is to negate the damage done to the enemy, and instead let it channel the damage to potentially attack the party? Or, would it still take the damage, with the addition of the cone being an unforeseen consequence? If it's the former, I'd be a little irritated that the creature didn't at least take the damage that it would have if I'd been on the outside. If the latter, that doesn't seem terrible. I could see myself going for that. Add to that the creature doesn't get a save against the damage, but doesn't have to worry about the shunting part (to avoid the explosion), and it seems fair. Although, it'd be a fun addition that if the damage does enough to kill the creature it really does explode into ludicrous gibs.
It's Talamare. You get used to the concept of ignoring any DM rulings they provide, and bless yourself 3 tikes that you're not in their game.

Talamare
2017-12-28, 08:15 PM

The damage from Thunderwave is primarily in creating a massive and painful noise, even the human body is insanely resistant to damage from noise. So the damage from such a spell comes from it affecting ears above all. This is a monster that is massive enough to fit an entire person inside. Which means that his body is significantly more resistant to effects of sound on a body. As well as his ears are probably even further away if you're in the stomach.

Then we have to consider why the player is attempting this; and while it's true it's a little creative. As well as probably even more logical if he used a slightly different spell (It's DnD who needs logic, amirite?). He's hoping to basically INSTA KILL a monster by throwing in a few creative words. It reminds me of the rogue that says "I aim my dagger at his neck, and now he bleeds out and dies." and I'm like... "Sure, roll for damage." as he proceeds to deal less than 5% of the monster's Full HP in damage.

Now I'm all for a little creativity, and I usually reward it... As long as you're not inherently expecting to be able to instantly kill it because of it. Now the important part is what the player expects! If he's being creative just because he expects it to be an auto win, I usually punish. If you don't then everyone starts abusing it, throwing in a couple of creative sentences to nullify everything.
If he is being creative because he is being creative, I usually reward.

The burp aoe is more of a fun joke than it is a serious thing. I used basically half of everything from the thunderwave spell used.

Vaz
2017-12-28, 09:35 PM
If you're using physics as the excuse, helps if you understand core physics.

Behave sunshine.

The_Jette
2017-12-29, 11:06 AM
The damage from Thunderwave is primarily in creating a massive and painful noise, even the human body is insanely resistant to damage from noise. So the damage from such a spell comes from it affecting ears above all. This is a monster that is massive enough to fit an entire person inside. Which means that his body is significantly more resistant to effects of sound on a body. As well as his ears are probably even further away if you're in the stomach.

Then we have to consider why the player is attempting this; and while it's true it's a little creative. As well as probably even more logical if he used a slightly different spell (It's DnD who needs logic, amirite?). He's hoping to basically INSTA KILL a monster by throwing in a few creative words. It reminds me of the rogue that says "I aim my dagger at his neck, and now he bleeds out and dies." and I'm like... "Sure, roll for damage." as he proceeds to deal less than 5% of the monster's Full HP in damage.

Now I'm all for a little creativity, and I usually reward it... As long as you're not inherently expecting to be able to instantly kill it because of it. Now the important part is what the player expects! If he's being creative just because he expects it to be an auto win, I usually punish. If you don't then everyone starts abusing it, throwing in a couple of creative sentences to nullify everything.
If he is being creative because he is being creative, I usually reward.

The burp aoe is more of a fun joke than it is a serious thing. I used basically half of everything from the thunderwave spell used.

That's... not actually how the spell works. The spell does thunder damage, which is 5e's version of sonic damage. That basically creates an extremely powerful vibration that causes damage at a cellular level. Our ears are sensitive to those vibrations, which is why you get burst eardrums, and such, from large sounds. But, the damage isn't coming from the ears. And, the spell isn't even targeting the ears. So, saying that it doesn't do any damage at all because it doesn't reach the ears is a little silly. Saying it doesn't insta-kill the monster is not silly, though. So, I only half-agree with you. Like I said earlier, I would probably deny the monster the saving throw, since the caster is putting himself in a directly damaging situation specifically to be able to do damage. But, I wouldn't completely negate the spell, and allow the enemy to gain benefit from it, just because the player is trying to get more from the spell than it's intended to give.