PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best magic items for a Lv20 Sorcerer/Warlock

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-28, 05:19 AM
My friends and I are having a one-off battle-royal type thing, wherein a group of lv20 characters will fight it out (or possibly 2 teams of such).

I'm playing a Favoured Soul 18 / Hexblade 2. My general plan will be to use my wings to remain in the air and use my spells from there (though I'd still like to have a decent sword - both for flavour and also so that I can make use of Booming Blade, should I be grounded or attacked by another flier).

As a bonus, we can each attune up to 4 items.

I'm allowed to choose the following:
- 1 Legendary item (Maybe Robe of the Archmage?)
- 2 Very Rare items
- 3 Rare items (Ring of Free Action and Ring of Evasion, maybe?)
- 6 Common/uncommon items
- Any amount of mundane items (assuming my character can reasonably carry them).

The following items are banned:
-ANY item which increases one of your ability scores or sets it to a specific value
-Bag of Devouring
-Cloak of Invisibility
-Efreeti Bottle
-Iron Flask
-Luck Blade
-Nine Lives Stealer
-Potion of Invulnerability
-Ring of Three Wishes
-Rod of Absorption
-Staff of the Magi
-Sword of Sharpness
-Sword of Wounding
-Talisman of Pure Good
-Talisman of Ultimate Evil
-Vorpal Sword
-Wand of Wonder

(If you're wondering, I believe the intent is to make our individual ability scores more meaningful - so that we can't all just get 19 strength or 19 con or whatever, and also to rule out items that could kill someone with a single failed save.)

Anyway, I've always been really awful at picking out items in D&D - especially at high levels - so any help with this would be appreciated.

One thing that's really tripping me up is the whole Attunement thing. Four attunement slots still doesn't seem like enough when virtually every item (even stuff like wands!) has to be attuned.

Any suggestions for my item selection?

Raif
2017-12-28, 05:59 AM
My friends and I are having a one-off battle-royal type thing, wherein a group of lv20 characters will fight it out (or possibly 2 teams of such).

I'm playing a Favoured Soul 18 / Hexblade 2. My general plan will be to use my wings to remain in the air and use my spells from there (though I'd still like to have a decent sword - both for flavour and also so that I can make use of Booming Blade, should I be grounded or attacked by another flier).

As a bonus, we can each attune up to 4 items.

I'm allowed to choose the following:
- 1 Legendary item (Maybe Robe of the Archmage?)
- 2 Very Rare items
- Any amount of mundane items (assuming my character can reasonably carry them).

The following items are banned:
-ANY item which increases one of your ability scores or sets it to a specific value
-Bag of Devouring
-Cloak of Invisibility
-Efreeti Bottle
-Iron Flask
-Luck Blade
-Nine Lives Stealer
-Potion of Invulnerability
-Ring of Three Wishes
-Rod of Absorption
-Staff of the Magi
-Sword of Sharpness
-Sword of Wounding
-Talisman of Pure Good
-Talisman of Ultimate Evil
-Vorpal Sword
-Wand of Wonder

(If you're wondering, I believe the intent is to make our individual ability scores more meaningful - so that we can't all just get 19 strength or 19 con or whatever, and also to rule out items that could kill someone with a single failed save.)

Anyway, I've always been really awful at picking out items in D&D - especially at high levels - so any help with this would be appreciated.

One thing that's really tripping me up is the whole Attunement thing. Four attunement slots still doesn't seem like enough when virtually every item (even stuff like wands!) has to be attuned.

Any suggestions for my item selection?

What's your dex modifier? Pretty important for selection in this case as robe of the archmagi is dex based. If it's a +2, then it gives you 17 AC which is what you'd get for wearing half plate which you can take as an item and get a +2 halfplate (though the spellsave DC is definitely worth it).

For sure - staff of power (https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/staff-of-power.html)

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-28, 06:19 AM
What's your dex modifier? Pretty important for selection in this case as robe of the archmagi is dex based. If it's a +2, then it gives you 17 AC which is what you'd get for wearing half plate which you can take as an item and get a +2 halfplate (though the spellsave DC is definitely worth it).

For sure - staff of power (https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/staff-of-power.html)

My stats are:
Str 11
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 12
Cha 20

In terms of saves, I have proficiency in Con, Wis and Cha (one was via the Resilient feat).

Regarding the Robe of the Archmagi, I was thinking of taking it more for the 'advantage on saves against spells/magic' and '+2 to spell attacks and spell save DCs', the AC was just a bonus.

Good call on Staff of Power.

Raif
2017-12-28, 07:16 AM
My stats are:
Str 11
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 12
Cha 20

In terms of saves, I have proficiency in Con, Wis and Cha (one was via the Resilient feat).

Regarding the Robe of the Archmagi, I was thinking of taking it more for the 'advantage on saves against spells/magic' and '+2 to spell attacks and spell save DCs', the AC was just a bonus.

Good call on Staff of Power.

With a +3 I'd definitely get the Robe of the Archmagi as your legendary. Good AC, +2 spell DC and attacks, advantage on saves vs magic.

With the Staff of Power that ups your spell attack to a +4 and your AC to 15+3 dex+2 staff +2 shield for 22 AC before the Shield spell (27 with it). That's great AC for a caster.

If you bind to the staff the +4 to spell attacks applies to Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade for your melee attacks too!

Do you have warcaster? If not, think of taking it so you can wield a staff + shield and cast spells at the same time.

This leaves you with
- 1 Very Rare

Things to think of:
Ioun Stone of Absorption (Very Rare) (https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/ioun-stone.html)
Cloak of Displacement (Rare) (https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/cloak-of-displacement.html)
Shield +2 (Rare) (https://open5e.com/equipment/magic-items/shield-1-2-or-3.html)

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-28, 07:30 AM
I'm afraid I don't have the Warcaster feat and can't change my feats at this point to get it.

Raif
2017-12-28, 07:41 AM
I'm afraid I don't have the Warcaster feat and can't change my feats at this point to get it.

Ah, well then if you want to use shield + staff and cast you'll have to use your interact with objects to stow/draw staff or shield so you'll just dance around the 20-22 AC then, unless your DM is like mine and doesn't really enforce that. Still not terrible at all for a caster.

If I may ask, what did you use your ASI's on? 2 Charisma ASI and the resilient Wisdom?

Either way, the items I listed should be good. Ring of Evasion is also good as you mentioned, and the ring of Free Action is also pretty dope.

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-28, 07:49 AM
Ah, well then if you want to use shield + staff and cast you'll have to use your interact with objects to stow/draw staff or shield so you'll just dance around the 20-22 AC then, unless your DM is like mine and doesn't really enforce that. Still not terrible at all for a caster.

If I may ask, what did you use your ASI's on? 2 Charisma ASI and the resilient Wisdom?

Yeah, exactly that.

I don't know if Resilient was a mistake. I was thinking that a lot of nasty effects were wisdom based, so I thought that save might well be important.

Either way, the items I listed should be good. Ring of Evasion is also good as you mentioned, and the ring of Free Action is also pretty dope.

Good to know, thanks. :smallsmile:

Any advice on what to get for the other items?

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-28, 08:36 AM
If you can pull from official adventures you could choose a Dragon mask from the Tyranny of Dragons supplement.

If wearing no armor you can add you CHA to AC, it gives you dark vision and a special feature to gain blind sight for 5 minutes. Legendary Resistance 1/Day

Amongst other things.

Raif
2017-12-28, 08:37 AM
Yeah, exactly that.

I don't know if Resilient was a mistake. I was thinking that a lot of nasty effects were wisdom based, so I thought that save might well be important.

Mistake? I doubt it, there are some nasty effects. Warcaster, while seriously good, isn't always a "must have". If you don't plan to be in melee, OA won't happen a lot and you have Con proficiency so you're OK at constitution saves (advantage would be awesome though). On the other hand:

Cantrips:
Vicious Mockery [Enchantment] (V) (Bard)

Level 1 Spells:
Charm Person [Enchantment] (V,S) (Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Command [Enchantment] (V) (Cleric, Paladin)
Compelled Duel [Enchantment] (V; Concentration) (Paladin)
Dissonant Whispers [Enchantment] (V) (Bard)
Sanctuary [Abjuration] (V,S,M) (Cleric)
Tasha's Hideous Laughter [Enchantment] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Wizard)
Wrathful Smite [Evocation] (V; Concentration) (Paladin)

Level 2 Spells:
Crown of Madness [Enchantment] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Detect Thoughts [Divination] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard)
Enthrall [Enchantment] (V,S) (Bard, Warlock)
Hold Person [Enchantment] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Suggestion [Enchantment] (V,M; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)

Level 3 Spells:
Bestow Curse [Necromancy] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard, Cleric, Wizard)
Fear [Illusion] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Hypnotic Pattern [Illusion] (S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Slow [Transmutation] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Sorcerer, Wizard)
Spirit Guardians [Conjuration] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Cleric)

Level 4 Spells:
Compulsion [Enchantment] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard)
Confusion [Enchantment] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard)
Dominate Beast [Enchantment] (V,S; Concentration) (Druid, Sorcerer)
Phantasmal Killer [Illusion] (V,S; Concentration) (Wizard)
Polymorph [Transmutation] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard)
Staggering Smite [Evocation] (V; Concentration) (Paladin)

Level 5 Spells:
Dominate Person [Enchantment] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard)
Dream [Illusion] (V,S,M) (Bard, Warlock, Wizard)
Geas [Enchantment] (V) (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Wizard)
Hold Monster [Enchantment] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Modify Memory [Enchantment] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard, Wizard)

Level 6 Spells:
Eyebite [Necromancy] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)
Mass Suggestion [Enchantment] (V,M) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)

Level 7 Spells:
Symbol [Abjuration] (V,S,M; Expensive Components) (Bard, Cleric, Wizard)

Level 8 Spells:
Antipathy/Sympathy [Enchantment] (V,S,M) (Druid, Wizard)
Dominate Monster [Enchantment] (V,S; Concentration) (Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard)

Level 9 Spells:
Imprisonment [Abjuration] (V,S,M; Expensive Components) (Warlock, Wizard)
True Polymorph [Transmutation] (V,S,M; Concentration) (Bard, Warlock, Wizard)
Weird [Illusion] (V,S; Concentration) (Wizard)

That's a lot of spells, and some of them really bad.

Good to know, thanks. :smallsmile:

Any advice on what to get for the other items?

Well, lets list what I recommended:

- 1 Legendary: Robe of the Archmagi (Attunement)
- 2 Very Rare: Staff of Power (Attunement), Ioun Stone of Absorption (Attunement),
- 3 Rare: Cloak of Displacement (Attunement), Ring of Free Action (Attunement), Necklace of Fireballs(maybe?)
- 6 Uncommon/Common: 6 Greater healing potions?

I'd choose out of those items 4 to attune to. I'd probably go:

- 1 Legendary: Robe of the Archmagi (Attunement)
- 2 Very Rare: Staff of Power (Attunement), Ioun Stone of Absorption (Attunement)
- 3 Rare: Cloak of Displacement (Attunement), Shield +2, Free item (maybe the fireball necklace)
- 6 Uncommon/Common: 6 Greater healing potions?

Mister_Squinty
2017-12-28, 12:01 PM
Its a cheap trick, but can you get the Tome of Leadership and Influence? +2 Charisma for a non-attunement Very Rare magic item is sneaky.

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-28, 12:04 PM
Its a cheap trick, but can you get the Tome of Leadership and Influence? +2 Charisma for a non-attunement Very Rare magic item is sneaky.

Sadly, all items that increase stats (or set them to fixed values) are banned.

Mister_Squinty
2017-12-28, 12:07 PM
My bad, I looked at the Banned List and didn't see it specifically listed. :smalleek:

SharkForce
2017-12-28, 04:25 PM
the bonus to spell attacks will not help with booming blade or greenflame blade. the spells cause you to make a melee weapon attack as part of the spell, but it is still a melee weapon attack rather than a melee spell attack.

(the bonus of the staff of power, should you choose it, still would).

anyways, some suggestions for magic items that haven't been made:

- candle of invocation (your alignment). up to 4 hours of advantage on all saves, attack rolls, and ability checks should prove useful.
- cube of force (you get to pick and choose from a few things that cannot get through the barrier, which can buy you time).
- deck of many things (if you really aren't feeling good about your odds, you can always go full random. it does cost your legendary item though, so not great).
- gem of seeing (30 minutes of truesight out to 120 feet is pretty handy, but it does require attunement).
- horn of valhalla (basically as many as you can get, but don't take the legendary one).
- oil of slipperiness (8 hours of free action in an uncommon item, no attunement. for a campaign, probably less awesome than a ring. for a duel, it is amazing).
- potion of heroism (1 hour of bless spell, and 10 temporary hit points)
- potion of resistance (as an uncommon pick, resistance to 1 element is pretty nice. fire is recommended)
- potion of speed (so long as we're stacking AC, haste is a big deal. it will also let you make a regular single attack, or dash or disengage as needed... be advised, it should still stun you when it ends)
- just a note about various methods of becoming magically invisible: most invisibility is broken by attacking or casting a spell. invisibility is not broken, however, by using actions to activate spells. as such, you may wish to consider a potion of invisibility. it would allow you to (for example) cast sunbeam (quickened), drink the potion, and then just move around activating the sunbeam spell for the next minute.

hope that helps :)

Ganymede
2017-12-28, 04:47 PM
It is difficult to determine which magical items will be helpful unless you tell us what game pillar the battle-royale will be based around. Will it be exploration? Social interaction? Combat? A mix of all three?

Different magic items will be useful if your battle-royale is a challenge to see how many nobles you can impress at a debutante's ball as compared to a challenge to see how many goblins you can slay in a one minute period.

Dr. Cliché
2017-12-28, 06:48 PM
It is difficult to determine which magical items will be helpful unless you tell us what game pillar the battle-royale will be based around. Will it be exploration? Social interaction? Combat? A mix of all three?

Different magic items will be useful if your battle-royale is a challenge to see how many nobles you can impress at a debutante's ball as compared to a challenge to see how many goblins you can slay in a one minute period.

Er . . . is this a joke? :smallconfused:

The goal is to kill each other until only one person (or team) remains alive.

Ganymede
2017-12-28, 09:45 PM
Er . . . is this a joke? :smallconfused:

The goal is to kill each other until only one person (or team) remains alive.

If that's the case, any items that improve your ability to sway others would be tremendously helpful. Use them to cause the murderers on the other team to switch over to your own murder team.