PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Feats and Magic Items

Promethean
2017-12-28, 09:23 PM
I might have missed this somewhere, but I have a few questions on how feats and magic items interact.

1. How do you calculate the price of creating a magic item that grants a feat?

2. If you have a non-metamagic feat that modifies a spell(Like aberration Bane Magic or Augment Healing) can you create a magic item with the modifies spell effect?

3. If the answer to 2 is yes, how do you calculate the cost?

Jormengand
2017-12-28, 10:44 PM
I might have missed this somewhere, but I have a few questions on how feats and magic items interact.

1. How do you calculate the price of creating a magic item that grants a feat?

2. If you have a non-metamagic feat that modifies a spell(Like aberration Bane Magic or Augment Healing) can you create a magic item with the modifies spell effect?

3. If the answer to 2 is yes, how do you calculate the cost?

I'm pretty sure the answer is "You don't, no, and you don't". That said, an ioun stone granting a feat costs 10,000, which means that you would expect the base cost of an item granting a feat to be 5,000 GP. That said, this seems pretty absurdly low for certain feats (given that feats can be pretty powerful) so YMMV. Notably, an equivalent skill bonus to the one granted by alertness on an ioun stone could be 700 GP. If you wanted a feat that's actually useful, that could be worth a lot more than 5,000. Remember that the magic item guidelines are just that: guidelines.

Boggartbae
2017-12-28, 10:53 PM
the Arms and Equipment Guide has a sidebar that says feats should be approximately 10,000 gp, plus 10,000 gp for each prerequisite, but yeah it's a guideline.

Speaking of guidelines, for something like augment healing, I would look at similar effects and base the price off of that. For example, an item that cast cure critical wounds at CL 10 would heal an average of 28 HP, but augment healing would bump that up to 36, so I would increase the price accordingly.

Either that or just let you apply your non-metamagic feats to wands, since a wand of cure critical wounds is pretty expensive, and probably won't break the game.

KillianHawkeye
2017-12-28, 11:35 PM
Given the vast difference in the quality of feats, it's pretty much impossible to come up with any standardized means of pricing their effects as magic items. Any attempt to do so would be haphazard at best.

Jormengand
2017-12-28, 11:41 PM
Given the vast difference in the quality of feats, it's pretty much impossible to come up with any standardized means of pricing their effects as magic items. Any attempt to do so would be haphazard at best.

I mean, assuming that people will only bother making custom items of feats worth a damn is a possibility.

Florian
2017-12-29, 07:19 AM
I mean, assuming that people will only bother making custom items of feats worth a damn is a possibility.

I cringe at thinking how that can be abused in PF, as the "Extra" line of feats is especially there to gain more class features (which are generally more powerful than feats) and there're some meta-feats like Barroom Brawler that you can use to gain more feats, or Advanced Armor/Weapon Training, that you can use to get more daily uses out of limited feats..... brrrr, scary.