PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Savant & Knight

Falrin
2007-08-22, 02:00 PM
This PrC is based on the Original Elemental Savant From Complete Arcane. The CL loss makes this almost unplayable. But one of my players wants to try one, so I have a shot at a remake.

Prereq:
Feat: Energy Substitution
Ranks: Knowledge Planes 8
Ranks: Knowledge Arcana 8
Speak the common language for your Elemental Type. (Ex. Fire = Ignan)
Be able to cast 3 different spells with the chosen Elemental Subtype, one of at least 3rd LvL.

d4 HD

2 Skills/LvL

Class-Skills:
Concentration, Craft, Know Arcana & Planes, Profession, Spellcraft.

Spells:
+1 Casting Class every LvL.

Elemental Savant
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Elemental Speciality, Element resistance +5

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|+2 Vs Sleep, Fatigue & Exhausted Effects

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Energy Focus +1

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|+2 Vs Paralyse, 30 Ft Darkvision

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Element Resistance +10

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|+2 Vs Poison, Energy Focus +2

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Element resistance +20

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|+2 Vs Stunning, 60 Ft Darkvision

9th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+6|Energy Focus +3

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Elemental Perfection[/table]

Elemental Speciality
All Energy & Force Spells gain the Chosen Element Subtype and deal That Type of Damage damage.
This does not count for Possitive or Negative Energy.

Energy Focus
The power of you Element spells increases
You gain the bonus to DCs, CL (duration, damage, ...) & Spell Penetration.
You lose the bonus to DCs, CL (duration, damage, ...) & Spell Penetration for non-fire spells

If an 20 Int Wizard 5/AS(Fire) 6 would cast a Freezing sphere it would have following stats:
13D6 Fire damage (11 CL +2 Focus)
DC 23 (10 + 6 spell LvL + 5 Int + 2 Focus)
Range 900 Ft (Long: 400 + 40*13 (11 Caster LvL + 2 Focus)

If That same wizard would cast a Circle of Death it would have the following stats:
9d4 HD effected (11 CL -2 Focus)
DC 19 (10 + 6 spell LvL + 5 Int - 2 Focus)
Range 190 Ft (100 + 10*9 (11 CL -2Focus)

Darkvision
An elemental Savant Recieves 30 Ft Darkvision at 4th LvL. This increases to 60 Ft at LvL 8.
These enhancments stack with any existing Darkvision.

Elemental Perfection
You Become 'Half-Elemental'
Your Type changes to Elemental
You don’t need to eat, breath or Sleep
You gain Element Immunity
You bonusses increase to +4 Vs …

The main question is: "Is this a balanced PrC"?
Did I forget any nifty, nice abilities that you think should be in there?
Scorching fire: 25%-75% Damage Resistant creature, darkvision, ...

I lika how you lose some: CL for non fire, unable to cast anything but fire, Familiar progression, ...

Joltz
2007-08-22, 02:32 PM
There's an Elemental Savant PrC in the Complete Arcane. It's pretty similar to this class... Almost identical actually.

The name could be changed a bit for your class. The CAr version lets you pick an element, but yours is fire only (?).

About the balance, it looks about as balanced as any other caster PrC. The CAr version loses a caster level at 5th and 10th though.

Xefas
2007-08-22, 02:40 PM
There's an Elemental Savant PrC in the Complete Arcane. It's pretty similar to this class... Almost identical actually.

The name could be changed a bit for your class. The CAr version lets you pick an element, but yours is fire only (?).

About the balance, it looks about as balanced as any other caster PrC. The CAr version loses a caster level at 5th and 10th though.

He says at the very top of the post that it is based on the Complete Arcane class, only tweaked so as to not give up caster levels...

Anyways, I think it's fine. Compared to all the other choices a wizard has, your Elemental Savant isn't going to break anything.

Falrin
2007-08-22, 02:52 PM
1) In his defence, I edited that in, got a litlle messy with the Tabel.

2) No, any element you chose, I changed that to be more clear.

3) Good; keep in mind, I try to tone down most PrC to the 'Straight Wizard' power LvL.

Joltz
2007-08-22, 03:58 PM
Ah, I see. I wondered if that was the case, but your post didn't say anything about the original when I read it XD.

Let's see... Decreases in power are that you removed the energy penetration feature and darkvision, changed the immunities at lower levels to save bonuses, and Energy Focus reduces the power of non-elemental spells. You also increased the prereqs a tiny bit.

This version is stronger because they lose no caster levels and Energy focus gives a caster level increase. You also give +3 energy focus instead of +2.

I'd say it's on the powerful side, but it's a blaster class and it doesn't give them any game breaking abilities. It just makes them better at blasting and slightly weaker at other stuff. Looks very good to me.

My only complaint is about flavor. Darkvision is part of being an elemental, so they should probably get it at some point. Lots of races without LA have it, so you could probably add it in at level 8 or 10 without a problem. I just get a really funny mental picture of someone with this class saying "ahh, wait a sec. I gottat get some light. I'm half elemental, but I still can't see in the dark."

Falrin
2007-08-22, 04:13 PM
Good idea; I split it up in 30 Ft at LvL4 & another 30 at LvL 8.

Question: Should the darkvision stack with any existing darkvision?

Also I know I boosted it's power LvL, but keep in mind that
a) Blasters are not the most optimized way to go with a wizard. The most optimized way to go got mostly nerfed.
b) Would you have taken a Blaster PrC that loses 2 CL?

Falrin
2007-08-23, 09:57 AM
The Elemental Knight.

The Elemental knight is based on the Knight Protector & Thayan knight from Complete Warrior.
The Elemental Knight links himself with an Elemental Savants or any other Element Related Class or Creature (Campaign Specific). He becomes the protector this Order, Creature type, Element, ... .
He choses one specific member of this group and protects him with his life.

HD: d10

Prereq.:
Alignment: Any Lawful.
BaB: +5
Skills: Know Arcane 1, Know The Planes 1, Spellcraft 2.
Feats: Iron Will
Special: Made peacefull contact to any apropriate creature or caster and sworn alligance to his Group.

Class Skills:
Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Info, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Know Arcane, Know the Planes, Listen, Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim.
Skill points: 4 + int mod.
Full BaB
Good Fortitude & Will
Bad Reflex

Elemental Knight
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Element Resistance +5, Protective Stance

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3| Elemental Weapon, Protecting Strike

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3| Sworn Protector +1, Trained Warrior

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4| Element Resistance +10

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4| Sacreficing Stance, Vengefull Strike

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5| Sworn Protector +2

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5| Element Resistance +15, Trained Warrior

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6| Strong Willed

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6| Sworn Protector +3

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7| Element Immunity, Bursting Weapon [/table]

Element Resistance:
You gain Resistance from the Element the Caster you protect Choses. At LvL 20 you become Immune.

Protective Stance:
When within 5 Ft of an Ally, the Knight can grant an Ally the Benefit from his Combat Expertise instead of himself. He still takes the negative to hit.

Elemental Weapon:
The knight can focus his Energy in a weapon. The weapon deals +1d6 energy damage. Focussing on a new weapon takes 1 minute, uninterupted meditation.

Protecting Strike:
1/Day for every 3 Class-LvLs, The Knight can make an AoO against any creature he threathens that tries to strike his Protected One. This AoO strikes before the creature gets his attack on the Protected One.

Sworn Protector:
You gain a bonus on Attack & Damage rolls against a creature that you certainly know or saw attacking any member of your chosen group.

Trained Warrior:
The Knight can chose a Bonus feat from the fighter’s bonus feat list.

Sacreficing Stance:
When a Knight spends at least 3 combat expertise on his Protective stance, he can chose to be effected by a shield other spell with this ally.

Vengefull Strike:
When an enemy renders his protected one unconsious or helpless, the Knight can make a vengefull strike against any creature threatening his protected one or responsible for this mishap. The Knight doubles his bonus from his Sworn protector Ability.

Strong Willed:
1/Day You can delay the effects of 1 attack/spell/trap until the end of your next round.

Bursting Weapon:
The elemental weapon also recieves the benefit of the bursting ability.

Ex-Protector:
When a knight willingly fails to protect his chosen creature, he can never proceed in this PrC and loses all his granted abilities except the Warrior training.

Paladin Knights.
Paladins can freely multi-class with this PrC.

Failed Knight:
When his Chosen one dies the knight has to put those responsible to justice. He remains a Knight, but some fall to the evil side in there search for revenge.

New Chosen one:
The knight can chose a new Protected One in certain cases.
His Chosen one dies and he has punnished those responisble.
If In his quest for vengeance he recieves help from another Member, he can chose him.
If his Chosen one wanders from the path of his order. Ex. When a LG Elemental Savant turns Evil.

Here also: Balance is the main issue. I know I clearly boosted the standard fighter, but I it should bring them up (for a while) without being overpowered compared to other classes.