PDA

View Full Version : Dual wielding slings question

MrFahrenheit
2017-12-29, 12:13 PM
Bladelock finds a magical sling and bonds with it, then goes and buys a mundane one. Is the following then possible? If not, can someone point out specifically which parts violate the rules? AFAIK, there are no limits on free actions as long as they’re not the same type more than once per turn, however that doesn’t apply to reloading weapons without the loading property.

(Character has the extra attack invocation and dual wielded feat already.)

Round 1 (both loaded pre-combat):
A. Attack with magic sling
B. Bonus action offhand attack with mundane sling
C. Drop mundane sling
D. Reload magic sling
E. Extra attack with magic sling
F. Reload magic sling again
Round 2:
A. Attack with magic sling
B. Reload magic sling
C. Extra attack with magic sling
D. Reload magic sling again
E. Free action pick up mundane sling
F. Free action drop magic sling
G. Reload mundane sling
H. Bonus action offhand attack with mundane sling
I. Reload mundane sling
Round 3:
A. Free action summon magic sling
B. Attack with magic sling
C. Bonus action offhand attack with mundane sling
D. Free action drop mundane sling
E. Reload magic sling
F. Extra attack with magic sling
F. Reload magic sling again
Rounds 4/5+: repeat as rounds 2/3.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-29, 12:16 PM
Is the following then possible? If not, can someone point out specifically which parts violate the rules?

How are you getting a bonus action attack with two slings?
That's the part which violates the rules.
Slings do not have the light property, and are not melee weapons. There's no way to get a bonus action attack.

MrFahrenheit
2017-12-29, 12:21 PM
How are you getting a bonus action attack with two slings?
That's the part which violates the rules.
Slings do not have the light property, and are not melee weapons. There's no way to get a bonus action attack.

Edited to note character also has dual wielder feat.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-29, 12:22 PM
Edited to note character also has dual wielder feat.

Doesn't help.

Two- W e a p o n F i g h t i n g
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand. You don’t add your ability m odifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either w eapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.

D u a l W i e l d e r
You master fighting with two w eapons, gaining the
following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the onehanded melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light.
• You can draw or stow two one-handed w eapons when

MrFahrenheit
2017-12-29, 12:26 PM
Ah crap...I’m AFB. Ok so same scenario, different weapons/feat: can this work with two hand crossbows (one magic, the other mundane) and crossbow expert?

Desteplo
2017-12-29, 12:27 PM
It’s a ranged weapon, duel wielding states it needs two melee weapons. You can hold both but you can’t bonus action
-crossbow expert with crossbow and weapon works but similarly a hard time reloading
-also you only get 1 free action no matter what. (You can’t open and close a door 4 times in a turn. Just open it once as a free action)

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-29, 12:28 PM
Ah crap...I’m AFB. Ok so same scenario, different weapons/feat: can this work with two hand crossbows (one magic, the other mundane) and crossbow expert?

Yes, but there's no point in having the second one.
The first one meets the requirements of getting the bonus action attack (it is a one handed weapon that you just attacked with). So there's no need for the shenanigans of dropping and picking up and reloading in ridiculous ways because there's no need for the second one to exist. If you take that feat, you get a bonus action attack with a hand crossbow, even if you only have one of them.

MrFahrenheit
2017-12-29, 12:30 PM
Yes, but there's no point in having the second one.
The first one meets the requirements of getting the bonus action attack (it is a one handed weapon that you just attacked with), and there's no need for the shenanigans of dropping and picking up and reloading in ridiculous ways because there's no need for the second one to exist..

Wouldn’t the second one be necessary to qualify for the bonus attack, per RAW?

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-29, 12:31 PM
Wouldn’t the second one be necessary to qualify for the bonus attack, per RAW?

Nope.

edit:
I'll elaborate.
It doesn't need to be loaded to get the bonus attack. I know it says that in the text, but it's an oversight and has been errata'd.
The crossbow loses the Loading property, which means you can attack more than once per round with it. It still has the Ammunition property, which clearly states that drawing the ammo is part of the attack.

MrFahrenheit
2017-12-29, 12:44 PM
Roger. Thanks!