PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help me brainstorm "invocations" for an elemental-based pet class

PhoenixPhyre
2017-12-29, 12:53 PM
I'm working on a elemental-flavored pet class on the warlock chassis.

+d8 HD
+light armor, simple weapons
+warlock casting progression, trading spells known for more invocations
+elemental pet using revised ranger scaling from level 1
+damage comes from pet + cantrips (and interactions between the two).
+focus on support (one sub-class specializes in offensive control, while the other specializes in buffing allies)
+pet has activatable aura that either hampers enemies or shields allies.

Very WIP google doc: here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bCR5BxiOP-5w84rKvRvN_pYDKyOGHR4WNpRohwmzs0M/edit?usp=sharing)

One portion is the "invocations" (called Synergies). Since the class is heavily focused around the pet, I want many if not most of the synergies to allow the pet to do new things, possibly in reaction to an action (casting a cantrip, etc) from the master. I need help thinking of a range of such synergies.

Current ideas (google doc form (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hoZHZ1jBGC4sIlBJzP0kjuUaFbfYn6Ca5HDApVzxur8/edit?usp=sharing))

basic melee damage increase (boring).
weak elemental ranged attack (less boring, but still boring)
slightly better AC (super boring)
increase radius of pet aura (useful but boring)
new movement speeds (level 5+)
damage resistance to chosen damage type (boring)
effect on pet melee hit while aura active:

save or dazed (action or bonus action) until end of target's next turn
save or speed zero until end of target's next turn

Mutually exclusive effects when master hits a target near the pet with a cantrip

Minor damage to near-by enemy, unavoidable.
THP to one nearby ally
One ally can move as a reaction without incurring opportunity attacks

What other ideas are there? Elemental themed is a plus, as is active or other non-boring effects. Things that make the pet and master work better together are strongly favored.