PDA

View Full Version : 5E AL - ASI vs. feat for Dwarven life cleric

bloodgroove
2017-12-29, 03:07 PM
My hill dwarf life cleric is leveling up to 8 and I would like to hear your thoughts on ASI vs taking a feat. he currently has 18 WIS and 16 CON.
Was considering the following feats:
lucky
shield master
warcaster
resilient - con
any other suggestions are welcome

He is the support/heal bot that adds a little offense through sacred flame mostly. He generally avoids combat but will not shy
away from it when pressed.

I am usually the only cleric in the party.

thanks...

nickl_2000
2017-12-29, 03:54 PM
My hill dwarf life cleric is leveling up to 8 and I would like to hear your thoughts on ASI vs taking a feat. he currently has 18 WIS and 16 CON.
Was considering the following feats:
lucky
shield master
warcaster
resilient - con
any other suggestions are welcome

He is the support/heal bot that adds a little offense through sacred flame mostly. He generally avoids combat but will not shy

I am usually the only cleric in the party.

thanks...

Literally all those options mentioned are good for you. You probably will not regret any of them.

That being said if you are going to war into combat now that you get bonus damage with weapon attacks shield master and res con would be my go to choices. The issue with shield master is that you need a good strength to knock prone and it competes with healing word.

If you are ignoring the level 8 bonus melee damage, warcaster is a great choice or the ASI (better save DC, more heals, and one more spell known).

Given your mentioned playstyle, I would take warcaster for better chances to keep concentration and better uses of AoOs than a weapon attack.

Tanarii
2017-12-29, 04:24 PM
What are your Str (Athletics) and Dex saves? Shield Master really needs one or both of those high to get decent benefits from it. The bonus to Dex saves is independent of those, but it only applies to effects that target only you. Shove requires an athletics check. And to use your reaction to take no damage you have to actually make the save, which is hard with a Dex 8 HA cleric. Although it applies to any half damage from Dex effect, not just ones that target you.

bloodgroove
2017-12-29, 07:05 PM
What are your Str (Athletics) and Dex saves? Shield Master really needs one or both of those high to get decent benefits from it. The bonus to Dex saves is independent of those, but it only applies to effects that target only you. Shove requires an athletics check. And to use your reaction to take no damage you have to actually make the save, which is hard with a Dex 8 HA cleric. Although it applies to any half damage from Dex effect, not just ones that target you.

current stats: str 13 dex 12 con 16 int 8 wis 18 cha 10

str & dex saves are +1

XmonkTad
2017-12-30, 12:39 AM

If you're doing well with your defences, consider magic initiate so you can pick up goodberry and shileighle (spelling?) from the druid list. Gives you a great new healing spell that you don't have to prepare, and let's you make use of your divine strike. The last cantrip is up to you, and depends on your +1 source. Otherwise I'd just pump wisdom this ASI and save relilent: con for 12.