PDA

View Full Version : Runescape pking account converted into 3.5 & PF

Reprimand
2017-12-29, 06:21 PM
Trying to make a non-homebrew "Berserker Pure" from Old School Runescape

Berserker Pures in Old School Runescape are melee focused builds but also max magic for one major spell that is somewhat of a linchpin in how the account secures kills which is a spell called vengeance. It reflects a percentage of the next hit dealt against the user back at the person who hit you.

Traits of the Build: High melee damage and high hit rate / Medium Defensive Bonuses / High strength and magic levels / Item choices revolve around maximizing dps and dealing damage in response to taking damage/ High Risk Plays/ Reflecting damage with spells or items (Not necessarily all of it)

Basically i'm looking to max out average melee damage per round stay well armored but also have an immediate action to reflect a source of damage maybe via an item or a divine spell?

This does not need to be a optimized build I simply want options to make this possible but want to remain mid to low op as I generally tend to play in a low op settings. But I would like as many unique ideas as possible I would prefer to see many different possible ways of doing this rather than the millionith warblade or crusader build.

A_S
2017-12-29, 06:35 PM
Easy solution: single-class Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm), using Expanded Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#expandedKnowledge) to pick up Forced Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm).

Pros: Simple build, mid-low op, PsyWar is natively good at the kinds of things you describe in your post (high-damage alpha strikes).

Cons: Can't enable Forced Share Pain as an immediate action, Forced Share Pain doesn't come online until level 7.

-----

A fancier build, revolving around something like Ardent manifester level abuse, immunity to the daze condition, and the Celerity spell, could do the immediate action trick, but it would be a less straightforward, and arguably cheesier, build.

Reprimand
2017-12-29, 06:40 PM
Barbarian fits well with the concept of the build medium armor, high dpr, rage is neat. But rage also restricts my options for reflecting damage is there a way to use a specific skill (UMD) or cast a spell in rage?

I'm basically trying to stick as close to core with as few exceptions as possible like an item or a way to gain access to a single spell as a SLA etc or maybe a divine spellcasting prc enough to gain access to a handful of buffs + a reflect damage type spell?

A_S
2017-12-29, 06:51 PM
I don't know of any divine spells that do what you want - the two versions I'm aware of are Forced Share Pain, mentioned above, and the Shield Self ability granted to Binders by Dahlver-Nar.

Either could be mixed-and-matched with Barbarian, though. If you want to multiclass instead of doing a single-class PsyWar, a Barbarian/Ardent would be a strong choice (the Pain and Suffering mantle includes Forced Share Pain).

Zaq
2017-12-29, 06:54 PM
Hmm. Does the reactive damage have to be magical? Because my immediate gut instinct for “hit me and it’ll hurt you” on someone capable of good melee damage is a Karmic Strike/Robilar’s Gambit build.

ComaVision
2017-12-29, 06:55 PM
I must be old because when you said "Old School RuneScape," I assumed you meant the 1 def/40 atk/max str pures with prayer from Classic.

Anyway, there is an item that splits 50% of damage too, the Retributive Amulet. It has a hefty 56k gold price tag though.

Florian
2017-12-29, 07:01 PM
For PF, that's already done via a combination of Rage Powers and Feats, namely Come and get Me and Strike Back, possibly enhanced by using Dazing Assault.

A_S
2017-12-29, 07:03 PM
I must be old because when you said "Old School RuneScape," I assumed you meant the 1 def/40 atk/max str pures with prayer from Classic.

Anyway, there is an item that splits 50% of damage too, the Retributive Amulet. It has a hefty 56k gold price tag though.
An updated (and much weaker) version was published in MIC, so if you're running by strict publication priority rules, that version is no longer legal. Worth asking the DM though if it fits the character concept.

WhamBamSam
2017-12-30, 12:16 PM
Hmm. Does the reactive damage have to be magical? Because my immediate gut instinct for “hit me and it’ll hurt you” on someone capable of good melee damage is a Karmic Strike/Robilar’s Gambit build.There are also several ToB counters that redirect attacks. Manticore Parry (Iron Heart 6), Scorpion Parry (Setting Sun 6), and Fool's Strike (Setting Sun 8). The former two turn the attack on a different enemy, but Fool's Strike does turn it back on the original attacker.

Deadline
2017-12-30, 02:28 PM
For PF, that's already done via a combination of Rage Powers and Feats, namely Come and get Me and Strike Back, possibly enhanced by using Dazing Assault.

Wouldn't you need Combat Reflexes and a high dex bonus for that to matter? Because one attack back per round at level 12 isn't much.

ATHATH
2017-12-30, 11:53 PM
Seconding the Robilar's Gambit/Karmic Strike combo.

Florian
2017-12-31, 06:05 AM
Wouldn't you need Combat Reflexes and a high dex bonus for that to matter? Because one attack back per round at level 12 isn't much.

CAGM and Strike Back work on different principles. CAGM uses up AoO attempts so you can strike them before their attack is resolved (hopefully hitting and dazing them, which stops the attack altogether), Strike Back lets you make unlimited counter attacks after their attacks are resolved, not using up AoO attempts. So it works even without Combat Reflexes, but you should pick it as a feat if it´s common that you're fighting against large numbers on a regular basis.