PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mournlands Effects

Falontani
2017-12-29, 06:40 PM
Hi all, this is my first ever thread, I've been terrified of starting one because I thought I would face some.. ridicule. Several of you have stated that I shouldn't feel afraid to post, so without further ado my first ever thread.

I am DMing an Eberron campaign that has recently gotten to level twelve. I have decided that it is finally time to for me to take the players into the Mournlands. I have several different plot points that lead there, two of them being player inspired. However whenever I try to find the effects of the Mournlands I can't find anything solid, or anything that seems "bad" enough to keep the players away other than rumors. So I designed my own effects for the Mournlands and would like some opinions on what I could do better, what l should change, and any other ideas that I could add. I am not trying to let the environment outright kill the PCs but I want them to understand that the environment isn't safe.

Pardon my grammar and spelling, these were more of notes for me to use, but I feel as though I need feedback before I submit the players to it

The Border
D10,000 for how long the journey through the mists is
Survival DC to attempt to find a place to set camp, hunt, or move through the mists are increased by 10
DC 20 survival check or become lost for d4 hours, another check after that time
Natural Healing and spells with the Healing Subschool do not function in the Mournlands
Solid Fog: This spell functions like fog cloud, but in addition to obscuring sight, the solid fog is so thick that any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a speed of 5 feet, regardless of its normal speed, and it takes a -2 penalty on all melee attack and melee damage rolls. The vapors prevent effective ranged weapon attacks (except for magic rays and the like). A creature or object that falls into solid fog is slowed, so that each 10 feet of vapor that it passes through reduces falling damage by 1d6. A creature can't take a 5-foot step while in solid fog.
Crushing Despair: An invisible cone of despair causes great sadness in the subjects. Each affected creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls.
Silence: Nothing makes sounds in the Borders of the Mournland, all creatures are deafened, sonic effects do not work, and casting any spell with a verbal component has a 50% chance of failure.
The Interior
The DCs of Survival checks to find food or shelter in the Mournland are increased by 8. Further, no character may take 10 on Survival checks while in the Mournland, navigation checks are increased by 6.
Natural Healing and spells with the Healing Subschool do not function in the Mournlands
Wondering Fonts have a 1% chance of being encountered in any specific mile in the mournlands and last for 1d4 hours. Each Wondering Font has a 50% chance of being a Cure Serious Wounds spell and a 50% chance of being an Inflict Serious Wounds Spell. You may only be affected by each font once per hour.
Weather
1-50 Obscuring Mist
51-70 Necrotic Rains
71-80 Ethereal Wasting
81-90 Spell Storm
91-100 Dweomersink

Obscuring Mist: 0% concealment within 10 ft, 10-30 ft is 20% concealment, 35-70 ft is 50% concealment, 75+ is unseeable

Necrotic Rainstorm: A Necrotic Rainstorm storm looks, from a distance, like an especially dark and menacing rainstorm. Any character with 5 or more ranks in Survival may make a Spot check (DC 10) to notice a Necrotic Rainstorm before it passes over; success alerts the character to the Necrotic Rainstorm 2 minutes before its arrival (add 2 rounds for every point by which the hero beat the Spot check DC). Necrotic Rain has a dark, slimy quality, and the liquid reduces biological matter when touch. Exposure to Necrotic Rain takes 1d6 points of Vile damage on each round. Any material that normally provides cover from rain (such as a tent) provides cover from acid rain. Necrotic Rainstorms lasts 5d20 minutes.

Ethereal Wasting: From a distance, an Ethereal Wasting looks like a large cloud that roils and churns in an unnatural manner. Any character may make a Spot check (DC 15) to notice an Ethereal Wasting before it passes over; success alerts the character to the Ethereal Wasting 2 minutes before its arrival (add 2 rounds for every point by which the hero beat the Spot check DC). The rain that falls from a ghost storm is gray and milky in color, and the liquid is cold to the touch. Any creature in the open during an Ethereal Wasting must make a Fortitude save (DC 15+1 for each round of exposure) each round or take 1d3 points of Constitution damage, and one point of Charisma damage for every two points of con damage. Any material that normally provides cover from rain (such as a tent) provides cover from a ghost storm. Ghost storms last 4d6 rounds.

Spell Storm: From a distance, a Spell Storm looks like a Vibrant Purple cloud that moves in a very erratic manner. Any Character may make a spot check (DC 15) to notice a Spell Storm before it passes over; success alerts the character to the Spell Storm 5 rounds before it’s arrival (add half a round for every point by which the hero beats the spot check). When the Spell Storm is overhead random spells of war fly from the sky targeting all creatures. A Spell Storm lasts for 1d4 rounds

Dweomersink: A successful DC 20 Spellcraft check detects a tingling in the air that heralds the presence of a nearby dweomersink. An active spell brought into a dweomersink may be dispelled, and any spell cast inside a dweomersink is subject to an immediate counterspell (both as dispel magic, caster level 10th). The resulting release of magical energy inflicts 1d6 points of damage per spell level in a 5-foot burst centered on the bearer of the spell entering the area or the caster of a new spell (Reflex save DC 16 for half damage). If multiple overlapping bursts hit the same target, only the most damaging applies. Once a spell effect has survived a dispel attempt, it is not affected again unless it leaves and reenters the dweomersink. More powerful dweomersinks are even more disruptive.

Spell Storm

1 - Fireball: 5d6 fire damage DC 15 reflex 30 ft spread
2 - Snowball Swarm: 3d6 cold damage 10 ft spread
3 - Acid Rain: 7d6 acid damage 30 ft spread
4 - Otto’s Resistable Dance: You begin to dance uncontrollably for 1d4 rounds DC 15
5 - Hold Monster: You are paralyzed in place for 1 minute or until you save DC 17
6 - Call Lightning: 6d6 Electric damage DC 15 reflex 5 ft spread
7 - Transmute Rock to Lava: DC 23 ref, 20d6 on fail, 6d6 on pass, half again in the following round,
8 - Gain a limb: DC 23 fort, failure roll a d6, 1 - left arm, 2 - right arm, 3 - left leg, 4 - right leg, 5 - left wing, 6 - right wing
9 - Gain an Eye: DC 23 fort, failure roll a d4, 1 - Eye of the Oracle, 2 - Devil’s Eye, 3 - Hunter’s Eye, 4 - Arcane Sight
10 - Reincarnation: Your race immediately changes and you gain a negative level DC17
11 - Knowledge: The next question your character hears (whether voiced by you or by someone else) you immediately know the answer to
12 - Great Thunderclap: DC 15 will, fort, reflex: stunned 1 round, deafened 1 minute, knocked prone, 20 ft spread
13 - Invisibility: 3 minutes
14 - Heal: Heals 110 points, removes all ailments other than neg level or stat drain
15 - Harm: Deals 110 points of negative damage DC 19
16 - Fiery Eyes: you shoot fire from your eyes
17 - Diseases: Every contagion is cast at you simultaneously DC 15
18 - Tongue Growth: Tongue grows 1d20 ft, can be used to touch creatures
19 - Feeblemind: DC 17 (21 for arcane casters) will Int/Cha drop to 1
20 - Scales: You grow scales increasing your Natural Armor by 1
21 - Teleportation: You teleport 1d6 miles in a random direction
22 - Obesity: You gain half your weight again, you gain the effects of Willing Deformity Obese, but this weight counts towards your carry limit, lasts 1 week unless you adapt diet
23 - Gaunt: You lose half your weight, you gain the effects of Willing Deformity Gaunt, lasts 1 week unless you adapt your diet
24 - Amnesia: DC 17 will, you lose all your memories
25 - Cursed: DC 16 will, you or one of your items becomes cursed
26 - Fear: DC 16 will, or become panicked
27 - Aged: DC 23 fort, you gain 1d20 years
28 - Ageless: DC 23 fort, you lose 1d20 years
29 - Symbol of Pain: DC 19
30 - Boon of Strength: +2 inherent bonus to str
31 - Boon of Dexterity: +2 inherent bonus to dex
32 - Boon of Constitution: +2 inherent bonus to con
33 - Boon of Intelligence: +2 inherent bonus to int
34 - Boon of Wisdom: +2 inherent bonus to wis
35 - Boon of Charisma: +2 inherent bonus to cha
36 - Finger of Death: DC 19 or die
37 - Hasted for 1 minute
38 - Slowed for 1 minute
39 - You gain a bite attack dealing 1d6
40 - Blinded: DC 15
41 - Deafened: DC 15
42 - Alignment Shift: DC 23 will save or your alignment changes randomly
43 - Insanity: DC 20
44 - Lightning Bolt: DC 15 or suffer 10d10 elec
45 - Wax Limb: DC 17 fort or a limb turns to wax
46 - Flesh to Stone: DC 19 or turn to stone
47 - Enlarge Person: DC 12
48 - Reduce Person: DC 12
49 - Claws: you gain claws that deal 1d8
50 - Wail of the Banshee: DC 23 100 ft spread, success and you are enervated
51 - Imprisonment: DC 23 or be imprisoned
52 - Tail: You gain a tail that can be used for 1d4
53 - Cometfall: 11d6 in a 30 ft spread, DC 19 for half
54 - Lycanthrophy: You become a lycanthrope of the next animal you see
55 - Disjunction: DC 23 will save for each item
56 - Psionics: You gain the psionic subtype, if you already had it then you gain a level of a psionic class immediately
57 - Backwards Speech: all your words come out in reverse, you can not use verbal components for 1d4 hours
58 - you gain enough xp to gain a level
59 - 1 permanent level drain
60 - Stat Adjustment: Roll a d10 for each stat, 1-5 decreases stat permanently by same amount, 6-10 increases permanently
61 - 1d100 magical scrolls fall upon you
62 - True Resurrection: the next time you would die True Resurrection is cast upon you
63 - Magic Item swaps: All the magic items that you possess have their effects switched with another item
64 - Friends: 3 friends of yours teleport to you immediately
65 - Vampirism Eternal: The next creature you touch takes 10d6 points of max hp damage, you gain the same amount in permanent hp
66 - Painted: You become a painting, dispel magic will cure you, but any changes to the painting happen to you
67 - Regeneration: You gain Regeneration 5 permanently
68 - Babied: You become a baby, lasts for 1d4 weeks, you keep your abilities but are still a baby
69 - Planar Travel: You arrive in Shavarath, in the lair of a Succubus or Incubus for 1 hour
70 - Shatter: 5d6 points of damage to all items in your possession
71 - Mummification: DC 19 fort or die and rise as a mummy
72 - Ghoulish: DC 19 fort or become a Ghoul
73 - Magic Surge: All spells the creature can cast are cast one at a time in order until all spell slots are consumed
74 - Disintegrate: DC 19 or suffer 22d6 damage
75 - Muted: You are muted in game and in real life for the next 5 minutes
76 - Polymorph any Object: You turn into a Chair, you may speak telepathically DC 23
77 - Power of the mark: you gain one dragonmarked feat immediately that you qualify for, if you qualify for none then you gain the least aberrant dragonmark
78 - Flame Touched: you gain the fire subtype
79 - Iced Touched: you gain the ice subtype
80 - Stone Soul: you gain the earth subtype
81 - Syrania’s Blessing: you gain the air subtype
82 - Blackened Soul: You gain the evil subtype
83 - Heavenly Bliss: You gain the good subtype
84 - Mind of Daanvi: You gain the Lawful subtype
85 - Mind of Kythri: You gain the Chaotic subtype
86 - Mark of the Beast: You gain the feat: Wild Cohort
87 - Nightmares: You are affected by the nightmare spell each night for 1d10 weeks
88 - Hero’s Feast: A magnificent feast is laid out for you and your comrades, complete with chairs, tables, and plates
89 - Insect’s Feast: You become host to a veritable Horde of insects, a cure disease will cure you
90 - A wondrous item appears before you
91 - A potion appears before you
92 - A scroll appears before you
93 - A magical weapon appears before you
94 - A magical armor appears before you
95 - A magical ring appears before you
96 - A relic appears before you
97 - Nothing happens
98 - The DM messes with you
99 - The dm acts like something terrible has happened
100 - An artifact appears before you

Afgncaap5
2017-12-29, 07:33 PM
You've got some good ideas, though I don't think I'd personally make it quite as formalized as you've got it. I think part of the mystery of the Mournlands is how unpredictable it might be. Also, there are people who occasionally rush the Mournland to loot things, so I wouldn't expect the entirety of it to have the same kinds of effects throughout (granted, you might argue that the many things you might roll on the percentile could all be construed as the different areas.)

I'd actually look at it from a different direction: instead of determining effects for the Mournlands, maybe figure out what kind of stories or monsters or features you want to showcase, and then describe individual parts of the Mournland as being ideal for those scenarios. One place might have a gigantic lake that's morphed into an ooze-like behemoth that can reach out and grab people to pull them in, and players might find that their water sources (and even themselves if they wait too long) become oozes. Another place might have people who've fused into the wall or floor of the natural terrain and just been "stuck" there for the last two years, pleading for the players to figure out a way for them to be set free. You might also find a weird tunnel on your route, and when you walk out of it you see three tunnel exits, and one of the players exits from all three tunnels at the same time, with each suddenly being determined to prove that they're the real player. Or maybe you just find a weird patch where everything is normal except for the mist everywhere, and a troll has set up a little shop, selling four-eyed fish, though the troll admits that business hasn't been particularly good (though there's more than enough fish to eat, and would you like some fish?)

One of the oddities about Eberron in 3.5 is that for an edition that's so concerned with crunch and stats, the setting went out of its way to tell DMs "Figure out what you're trying to do, and then come up with the rules for yourself, if you need to!"

phlidwsn
2017-12-30, 09:38 AM
For the motherload of Mournlands effects, including some commentary by HellCow(Aka Keith Baker himself) see this gem from the old Wotc boards (https://web.archive.org/web/20151028122243/http://community.wizards.com/forum/eberron/threads/975911) courtesy of the Wayback Machine and a bookmark list I really should clean out one of these years.

johnbragg
2017-12-30, 11:01 AM
I like your list of effects a lot. I'd be leery of layering them on top of "no healing", though. I'd make it either-or. That way you can set up a dilemma for the players--do they avoid the wild-magic area, or do they risk it for the chance to blow some spell slots/wand charges and get HP back.

I'd also advise that these not surprise the players too often. Or at least give them all a chance to make Spot or Knowledge-Arcana or Survival checks before they walk to their DOOM! (Yes I'd make it broad enough that any PC with ranks in anything remotely close has a chance to notice what's going on.)

Falontani
2017-12-30, 04:33 PM
First of all, thank you guys for the ideas and the comments, it really does help.

You've got some good ideas, though I don't think I'd personally make it quite as formalized as you've got it. I think part of the mystery of the Mournlands is how unpredictable it might be. Also, there are people who occasionally rush the Mournland to loot things, so I wouldn't expect the entirety of it to have the same kinds of effects throughout (granted, you might argue that the many things you might roll on the percentile could all be construed as the different areas.)
I will definitely look into more localized effects, perhaps the weather wont always manifest in the same areas.

I'd actually look at it from a different direction: instead of determining effects for the Mournlands, maybe figure out what kind of stories or monsters or features you want to showcase, and then describe individual parts of the Mournland as being ideal for those scenarios. One place might have a gigantic lake that's morphed into an ooze-like behemoth that can reach out and grab people to pull them in, and players might find that their water sources (and even themselves if they wait too long) become oozes. Another place might have people who've fused into the wall or floor of the natural terrain and just been "stuck" there for the last two years, pleading for the players to figure out a way for them to be set free. You might also find a weird tunnel on your route, and when you walk out of it you see three tunnel exits, and one of the players exits from all three tunnels at the same time, with each suddenly being determined to prove that they're the real player. Or maybe you just find a weird patch where everything is normal except for the mist everywhere, and a troll has set up a little shop, selling four-eyed fish, though the troll admits that business hasn't been particularly good (though there's more than enough fish to eat, and would you like some fish?)

There may or may not be some ideas there that I'm going to.. erm "borrow"

For the motherload of Mournlands effects, including some commentary by HellCow(Aka Keith Baker himself) see [redacted due to my not being able to post links]this gem from the old Wotc boards courtesy of the Wayback Machine and a bookmark list I really should clean out one of these years.
I will definitely browse these when I get a chance, thank you!

I like your list of effects a lot. I'd be leery of layering them on top of "no healing", though. I'd make it either-or. That way you can set up a dilemma for the players--do they avoid the wild-magic area, or do they risk it for the chance to blow some spell slots/wand charges and get HP back.
Do you think I should just drop natural healing and impede magical healing like the negative energy plane? I'm mainly trying to make it so that healing isn't easy, but no healing at all is pretty rough.

I'd also advise that these not surprise the players too often. Or at least give them all a chance to make Spot or Knowledge-Arcana or Survival checks before they walk to their DOOM! (Yes I'd make it broad enough that any PC with ranks in anything remotely close has a chance to notice what's going on.)
I thought I gave spot checks for all the different types of weather

Nifft
2017-12-30, 04:55 PM
I like your list of effects.

Some ideas...

- Living Spells erode into Spell Muck, which gives you the effect of a beneficial spell while it "decorates" your feet. You can get this benefit by walking through Spell Muck. You can only benefit from one application of Spell Muck, and it eventually degrades into worthless Spell Dust (which becomes the seed-dust for magical weather, and might have other uses but those are currently unknown).

- Living Spells evaporate into Spell Mist, which is basically magical weather that can be identified by a 1d20+min(Survival,Spellcraft). If you have 5 ranks of Survival and Spellcraft, you get a Synergy bonus on the check equal to 1+(1/5) of your higher ranks.

- Living Spells merge with vermin, creating Aberrations and monstrous vermin with templates.

- One of the seals that hold back the Overlords was in Cyre. It's been corrupted by the Mourning. Fiendish essence is leaking out, but mysteriously enough the fiend essence is also being corrupted by the remnants of a Creation Forge. Within the heart of a ruined city, a new order is being crafted, one block at a time... meet the Mournland's other mechanical messiahs: the Modrons.