PDA

View Full Version : Having known spells/prepared spells as a Wizard option

Saiga
2017-12-29, 07:41 PM
So I'm really interested in ACFs that make classes more modular, and one I was thinking of was having a class be able to choose between have spell preparation or known spells, with the two options balanced against each other.

How could I do this for the Wizard? A regular Wizard gets 44 spells by level up, and has 25 spells prepared at 20 with max int and no magic items. To have known spells as a viable option, it would be somewhere inbetween the two points - therefore, a spontaneous Wizard has more spells prepared at any given time, but the prepared Wizard has more options available at the start of the day and over the course of the campaign.

Would splitting the difference seem balanced? Given spontaneous Wizards 34-35 spells known

Greywander
2017-12-30, 03:40 AM
One of the biggest reasons to play a wizard is the versatility of having access to the entire wizard spell list. Sure, other classes like clerics and druids also have access to their entire spell list, and don't need a spellbook for it, but those lists aren't as expansive as the wizard list. By restricting yourself to a limited number of spells known, you're throwing away one of the major reasons to play a wizard in the first place. In fact, I don't think I'd want to play such a wizard even if I had 44 spells known, even though that's the number a spells a wizard will learn just by leveling up. If I can't add more spells to my spellbook, then I lose out one of the wizard's biggest benefits.

If you want to see what a spontaneous caster wizard would look like, see the sorcerer. Their sorcery points help to bridge the gap, both by enhancing spells with metamagic and by giving you some extra spell slots. The sorcerer actually knows less spells than the wizard can prepare (15 vs. 25), but those spells are stronger (via metamagic) and he can cast more of them. I'd still pick wizard any day.

Saiga
2017-12-30, 04:39 PM
I'm not saying they'd lose the ability to learn new spells, they'd probably just need to be given opportunities to learn them at half the rate a prepared Wizard would (or make the copying process take twice as long, etc) like finding 1 scroll for every 2 the prepared Wizard finds.

The sorceror doesn't work because I'm looking for a class where spells known and spells prepared could be of relatively equal appeal on the same class.

Tanarii
2017-12-31, 09:10 AM
I'm not saying they'd lose the ability to learn new spells, they'd probably just need to be given opportunities to learn them at half the rate a prepared Wizard would (or make the copying process take twice as long, etc) like finding 1 scroll for every 2 the prepared Wizard finds.I mostly use the DMG tables for magic items. I can tell you right now, unless the DM makes a special effort to provide spell scrolls or other sources of 'found' spells for Wizards, they will find a miniscule amount of spells in a campaign. Possibly none.

So when balancing against a wizards number of spells, it's always best to balance as if they find 0 spells.

Saiga
2017-12-31, 05:50 PM
I mostly use the DMG tables for magic items. I can tell you right now, unless the DM makes a special effort to provide spell scrolls or other sources of 'found' spells for Wizards, they will find a miniscule amount of spells in a campaign. Possibly none.

So when balancing against a wizards number of spells, it's always best to balance as if they find 0 spells.

That works for me, then. Does the 34-35 spells known sound reasonable in light of that?