PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know of a website that updates every day or week with a future tech idea

Maximum77
2017-12-29, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for like an Invention of the Day website or of the week ( either is acceptable). Serious Wonder had a feature called The Future This Week every Saturday before it ended in 2016 and Planetpailly has Science-y words that is featured on the site every Friday but most of the words and phrases are of currrent science. I'm looking for a site that displays future tech ideas once a week or once a day or even once a month (though I'd prefer not). Robert Bignell has a site that updates every Tuesday with 5 sci fi novums but a lot of them I've heard of already. SomethinfgPossible updates every Sunday with a duturistic concept but it took mostly from Wikipedia articles and was cancelled. Lastly their is an Invention of the Day site but a lot of those inventions are Rube Goldberg machines and novelty stuff. I'm looking for a site that imagines the future every day or week with an idea/a concept/ a technology/ or an invention. Does anybody know of a site like that?

Maximum77
2018-01-09, 03:51 PM
Can anybody help me find an obscure under the radar site like this?

Recherché
2018-01-11, 05:02 PM
I can't say I know of any unfortunately.

Murk
2018-01-12, 10:03 AM
With all the work you've done on future tech lately, this seems like an excellent opportunity to do it yourself! If you can't find such a site already existing, that's a good gap to fill, right?

Based on just the hundreds of suggestions for future tech your threads got the last months, you could run this thing for at least a year!

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-12, 03:02 PM
Maybe you can't write everything, but if you set up the site, run the monetary side, do the illustrations, pick the topics and find semi-experts to collaborate with on the actual writing...

Be working on about four weeks worth of articles at the same time, on top of a buffer worth some weeks. Keep it short, just in depth enough, two articles a week to start with...

Peelee
2018-01-13, 04:52 PM
www.reddit.com/r/futurology. A subreddit devoted to the field of Future(s) Studies and evidence-based speculation about the development of humanity, technology, and civilization.

Granted, they are much more grounded in realism than far-out potential ideas that may or may not be pure science fiction, but there ya go.

LordEntrails
2018-01-13, 10:35 PM
Not future tech, and not really what you're looking for. And their website is horrendous, but maybe something useful at Science Friday? https://www.sciencefriday.com/

Maximum77
2018-02-09, 05:41 PM
I tried so many different things and none have worked. I can’t create my own because nobody would read it and the point of this is to spark my imagination. I can’t spark it myself.

Does anybody have any other suggestions

Khedrac
2018-02-10, 03:48 AM
I tried so many different things and none have worked. I can’t create my own because nobody would read it and the point of this is to spark my imagination. I can’t spark it myself.

Does anybody have any other suggestions

Now that is a good question and one we can help with.

My suggestion would be to go out and read a lot of science fiction, especially short stories (where you usually get more ideas per book). Particularly look out for editied anthologies: Analog & Astounding magazines if you can find old copies, the Mammoth Books of XXX Sci Fi, Baen's Free Science Fiction Stories of the year etc.
In these stories you will find lots of authors trying out different ideas, with the advantage that an editor has gone through helping them work on the quality of their ideas. Another advantage of multi-author anthologies is that you will get fewer examples of the the same idea being extrapolated further (which is what happens in single author topic anthologies).
Yes, a lot of the ideas will be out of date, but that doesn't mean they cannot be inspirational, and John Campbell seems to have been a hugely positive quality filter on Sci Fi of his era (when one looks at classic Asimov and Clarke etc., the stories Campbell published are almost always the best - other places usually got the ones he rejected).

Note: I like single author topic anthologies if I like the author, e.g. Asimov's robot stories, but they are rarely a good source of a wide range of ideas.

Vinyadan
2018-02-12, 11:19 AM
https://smbc-comics.com/soonish/

There can be more than one, though.